Kaye Goodfellow Manchester

dessert driver:
Hi
Does anyone remember a chap by the name of Barry Scacy ? He used to drive for K Goodys at Wrexham and lived for a short time at The Five Crosses pub at Coedpoeth. He also did ME work for Jones Acrifair on tankers.

Regards Keith.

keith i remember Barry and his mate lennie Lewis who worked out of the wrexham depot a ramshakle porta cabin which i helped to erect in the late 60’ and i too stayed in the coedpoerth pub one of them drove a guy big j if my memory serves me right happy days

mushroomman:
Here is a photo for Dave Mackie and any other ex Mckelvie drivers.

Quote The Crow :
Hello Steve it is indeed Red bank there was an Odeon cinema on the corner which later probably turned into the skittle alley. my Uncle Alf lived further down North St. in Honey St. on the left just before the steep hill which went under the railway bridge and then joined Dantzic St.
Unquote:

And for Geoff and Tony Taylor, sorry boys I haven’t come across a photo of The Milehouse pub yet so I hope that you will settle for a quick one in The Queens Arms in Honey Street while you are on your way to see your Uncle Alf.

That’s not you with your best friend is it Geoff :wink: .

If your a Manc or even an ex Manc I am sure that you will spend many happy hours like I have looking on this excellent web site.
Just put in a street name and an area in the search box. :smiley:

images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

Regards Steve.

Hi MM,That picture of McKelvies yard on North St Cheetham Hill,became Smith of Maddiston’s Manchester Depot,not sure of the date though,I have driven through those gates more times than I care to remember!

David :smiley:

3300John:
Hiya. in that photo of the queens arms you can see the gas tanks. are they the one’s at the end of grey mare lane
that’s not very far from the old Goodfellows yard.
John

Hi John the gas tanks you can see were part of the Rochdale Rd gas works at Collyhurst which was on Gould street & Rochdale Rd.This photo is the entrance on Rochdale Rd you can see the tank in the background and when it closed John Biestys tipper transport bought it and moved in there during the 60s

This was how it looked when I worked at Biestys late 60s.

i think barry has passed to the big road in the sky a few years back now

Hi all my name is mal carbery my father was a driver for mckelvies for a number of years in the 60s when charlie baldwin was depot managerdoes anyone remember lincoln who with my father went to goodys my dad was on roaming for a while he had a big j G69 mhg then he went on the trunk manchester to glasgow one hell of a drive in those days the other drivers on trunk were pete warburto steve ottley my old man mac cant remember the fourh pete warburton drove the show motor from glasgow show then my father took it over after he left the reg was SNE 792 K there were some characters who worked there,geoff wood,glynn mcnally lincoln eddie buckley i was a kid then but what fantastic memories growing up stopping at kirtle bridge cafe or the moss the jungle on shap wow what away to learn if anyone can remember some of the old drivers ive mentioned would lik to hear from you thanks mal carbery .can i just say smiths of eccles was never on north st cheetham after mckelvies went smith of maddison moved in also jamesons european i used to work part time for smiths used to go straight from school i can picture a tall guy with whitish hair and glasses a really nice guy also the depot manager if i heard his name id remember.thanks again mal

Hi Mal
This was put on earlier in the thread by retriever from his vast collection of photos.It must have been the twin to the one your dad drove.

Hi john thankyou for posting the photo,yes it was the twin to the one my father drove a guy called steve ottley drove it on night trunk in 1970 /71happy memories used to rush home from scool on a friday so i could go with my dad on trunk once again john thankyo

Hi john thankyou for posting the photo,yes it was the twin to the one my father drove a guy called steve ottley drove it on night trunk in 1970 /71happy memories used to rush home from scool on a friday so i could go with my dad on trunk once again john thankyo

malcolm carbery:
Hi all my name is mal carbery my father was a driver for mckelvies for a number of years in the 60s when charlie baldwin was depot managerdoes anyone remember lincoln who with my father went to goodys my dad was on roaming for a while he had a big j G69 mhg then he went on the trunk manchester to glasgow one hell of a drive in those days the other drivers on trunk were pete warburto steve ottley my old man mac cant remember the fourh pete warburton drove the show motor from glasgow show then my father took it over after he left the reg was SNE 792 K there were some characters who worked there,geoff wood,glynn mcnally lincoln eddie buckley i was a kid then but what fantastic memories growing up stopping at kirtle bridge cafe or the moss the jungle on shap wow what away to learn if anyone can remember some of the old drivers ive mentioned would lik to hear from you thanks mal carbery .can i just say smiths of eccles was never on north st cheetham after mckelvies went smith of maddison moved in also jamesons european i used to work part time for smiths used to go straight from school i can picture a tall guy with whitish hair and glasses a really nice guy also the depot manager if i heard his name id remember.thanks again mal

Harold Gilmore was Depot Manager @ SoM North St Manchester if that helps you remember Mal!!

David :slight_smile:

Thanks David now i remember nice guy wish i could remember the guy who worked in the traffic office aswell as shunting the motors around in the evenings !!!

malcolm carbery:
Thanks David now i remember nice guy wish i could remember the guy who worked in the traffic office aswell as shunting the motors around in the evenings !!!

Cliff Poyser was the Night Foreman,but he was a short,rather fat guy with glasses and a flat cap,does’nt sound like the guy you have described!

David

Mal I remember Steve Ottley from when he worked with us at Sadlers he was always laughing about something or other and Larry didn’t know how to take him.Got a photo of him when we all received our clocks for getting the british standards awards iirc,its somewhere on the tanker thread on here.

Is that who i think it is,mr stanfield blimey how you doing long time no speak well have to get together for a pint if you want om living in stalybridge now. Wow what a small world hope your ok and speak to you soon ill leave you my number when im next on here in a rush on my lunch

This all-steel cab was supplied by Autolifts & Engineering Co. of Blackburn.
Normally this kind of cab was fitted to the Atkinson dumper range in the 1960s

Hi all,
Does anybody remember my grandad? Johnny Turnbull, he drove for both mcelvies and goodfellows in the late 60’s

Mal Carbery (a member on here) will know doubt remember him, his Dad also worked for both firms,he hasnt been on for a while try sending him a pm.

Hi ,Folks , Do any ex Goodfellows remember a Driver from Mold , Alan Smith ,only little ex service man hard as nails ,liked a pint or two , CHeers Barry

anyone remember this cafe
images.manchester.gov.uk/web/obj … firn=49296

corner of Nuthurst Road/Lightbowne Ave

Hi D.O.M That cafe is still there today and open.

I used to live about 200 yards from there and regulary saw lorries parked up on Lightbowne Road, the drivers were in the cafe