job shadowing

Hi all, I passed my class1 in June and know a lot of companies do not take on newbies for obvious reasons, what I’m actually looking to do is some job shadowing, to get a real insight into truck driving as the lessons just get you to pass the test and not the real world. Does anyone know of any companies in the Kent area preferably Dover/ Canterbury way that may consider this?
many thanks
Jeff

Hope you get some suggestions. But, just in case, consider visiting smaller operators by going round industrial estates. You’re far more likely to get some interest that way. Avoid emails and phones at all costs.

Best go prepared so have work gear in your car. But when you’re going door knocking, dress smart casual. Although you’re only after a ride initially, the operator’s customers will see you and it all reflects on the company.

Keep your nose clean and show willing. With a bit of luck, you’ll be offered something more substantial.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good advice Peter,
I worked for a small family haulier a few years back and when I got in one morning the boss asked if I would take a passenger out for the day. Turned out the lad had just passed his test and wanted to see if he should quit his job and start driving.
The boss did say let him drive on the way back, it was a simple job take a load of concrete to a building site return empty,
So that’s what I did, the lad drove very well for a new pass and I felt quite safe in the passenger seat. Sadly for the industry he decided not to take a job as a driver, as his wife was expecting their first child at the time and he felt he should stay in the job he knew for the security.

The same boss used to give new drivers (regardless of how many years driving) without relevant experience of flatbed work a week with the shunter/loader driver to see how the job worked and get experience of securing the loads, he also took on 21year olds if they seemed keen enough. Sadly the company is no longer, but they were good days and the boss is now a good mate and as he’s a complete motorsport nut I’ve got him on the odd run to race tracks across Europe, which is great as he gave me my first full time HGV driving job.

Nicholls haulage in sittingbourne take on new passes class 1, try them for shadowing maybe.

Downton have a yard in Chatham. They take new passes, and I’ve seen someone out shadowing too.

Also, I don’t mean to be offensive… but why did you just spend thousands of pounds on a licence if you’re not sure you want to drive■■?

Hi because I am under threat of redundancy every year for last 5. so thought may need a plan b, but trying to decide should i hang it out in my 9-5 local government job and gain some experience driving at weekends etc or jump now, kind of hoping they make their bloody minds up and offer me redundancy.