Jaguar / LandRover Lay-Offs

Don’t know about jag but my neighbor is chopping her discovery sport in as it spends so much time on the back of a tow truck and it’s not uncommon im told

Franglais:

Carryfast:
No problem we’re actually still in the EU for the foreseeable future.

Does March 29th 2019 not ring any bells with you? :smiley:
Maybe it will be “business as usual” on April Fool`s Day but who knows?

Carryfast:
So Jaguar will easily compensate for the few lost sales in the domestic market by its ongoing much larger sales in the much larger European market.

Jag makes about 60% of its Eu sales within the UK. The EU is a much bigger market than the UK, but Jag dont have much of impact there. To compensate for a 33% drop in the UK market there would need be a 50% increase in the EU sales. Ill bet the Jag sales teams would like to hear how easy a 50% hike is! LandRover are about twice the size of Jag within Europe. About 50% of its Eu sales are within the UK.

Carryfast:
Meanwhile in the real world if we actually got the Brexit we voted for the government could obviously remove VAT on the Jaguar petrol models and double the taxes on EU car imports like BMW’s and Mercs thereby increasing Jaguar’s market share over night.With the win win of reducing our massive EU trade deficit and cleaning up the air quality.

If we get the Brexit you envisage and put taxes on imported Mercs and BMWs what would happen?
Eu taxes would go on UK produced Jags, Landys, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, etc etc. Our balance of payments wouldnt look quite as good then would they? Having vat taken off expensive UK models wouldnt make them affordable to the ex-car workers on the dole.

So let’s get this right the remainers case is that we need the EU because it’s such a big market for our exports.But that so called massive EU market doesn’t actually buy enough from us.Oh wait.

On that basis.if we hammer EU imports with quotas and taxes that obviously means that Jaguar gains more here in its obviously much more important domestic market than in loses in the far less important EU market.Which isn’t surprising bearing in mind that you’ve admitted yourself that the problem is Jaguar’s market share in a trading environment in which the EU market doesn’t buy enough Jaguars.While the UK market buys too many BMW’s and Mercs.That is Jaguar’s real basic problem and has been since the 1970’s.Nothing to do with the bs about people supposedly running away from diesels.As for real Brexit obviously if only for Jaguar. :unamused:

upping production in China and slovakia

upping production in China and somewhere else

bazza123:
Maybe this is because young people are seen as more accepting of debt based purchase schemes such as PCP and HP rather than saving up the cash and making a long term but predictable purchase.

Thats very true, my son and his wife’s friends are mainly in the 30 something group and mostly in decent progressive careers, he tells me almost all of them have one or more lease/pcp cars, more or less renting it for 3 years then handing it back and repeat.
No ta, and nor do they as it happens.

PCP is just a way for manufacturers to register “sales” when in fact all you are doing is renting it for say 3 years with conditions attached ,and are held responsible for any damage at the end of the period .Where unless you take out another car or buy the present ne you have nothing to show for your money …Yes H.P is dearer ,but at then end of the 4 years ,it’s your car and you can do how many miles you wish in it without restriction…But PCP obviously works for some ,just not me .

Being constantly in debt just to have some shiny new plastic sitting outside was never my idea of fun.

norb:
PCP is just a way for manufacturers to register “sales” when in fact all you are doing is renting it for say 3 years with conditions attached ,and are held responsible for any damage at the end of the period .Where unless you take out another car or buy the present ne you have nothing to show for your money …Yes H.P is dearer ,but at then end of the 4 years ,it’s your car and you can do how many miles you wish in it without restriction…But PCP obviously works for some ,just not me .

Nor me Norb, let alone people who lease cars around 1 year old for 3 years, think they’re getting a bargain, completely forgetting that many makes the warranty expires at year 3 and they’re up the creek without a paddle if they haven’t taken out the maker’s extended warranty, if the engine or emissions system or more often these days (with chocolate gearboxes) the twin clutch jobbie craps itself to the tune of £3k.

Juddian:
Nor me Norb, let alone people who lease cars around 1 year old for 3 years, think they’re getting a bargain, completely forgetting that many makes the warranty expires at year 3 and they’re up the creek without a paddle if they haven’t taken out the maker’s extended warranty, if the engine or emissions system or more often these days (with chocolate gearboxes) the twin clutch jobbie craps itself to the tune of £3k.

It’s probably more an issue of the product than purchasing options.IE ironically you can’t have a petrol F Pace or an XE for example with manual transmission which obviously counts out loads of potential customers. :unamused: Myself being one having thought about replacing the leased Zafira runabout with a manual petrol F Pace and which spec would also have been expected to be a massive plus when it reached the used market.Although at least Jaguar use torque converter type autos for those who really want an auto.But leasing only makes sense if the customer stays with new and intends to ditch the thing by 3 years.While leasing used cars just defeats the object of the option.

Which leaves the question of the premium market sector in which buyers certainly aren’t looking to downsize or go down market.On that note check out the values of something like a 6.0 litre V12 XJS or X300 v the average much newer used V8 XK or XJ or XF.Especially if anyone has made the effort of converting the V12 to manual.

Jaguar always hire loads in then fire .Its always been this way in Car firms .Nothing to do with Brexit .

Beetlejuice:
Jaguar always hire loads in then fire .Its always been this way in Car firms .Nothing to do with Brexit .

Pretty much this, jlr had record sales last year and predict record sales this year too.

Despite these 1000 job losses the build halls will still be running at 37 cars per hours 24 hours a week! (Down from 44)

It’s always been the case to fire/hire agency workers, it’s nothing new.

JLR had global production of 138k units in 2017/18, and 173k in 2016/17, so decreasing already.
It DID report record sales last year however.
Selling more expensive cars will produce better sales stats in spite of actually making fewer units.

Franglais:
JLR had global production of 138k units in 2017/18, and 173k in 2016/17, so decreasing already.
Selling more expensive cars will produce better sales stats in spite of actually making fewer units.

That’s UK sales figures maybe? we sold 621k units globally last year up 7pc.

google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tele … ation/amp/

maga:

Franglais:

That’s UK sales figures maybe? we sold 621k units globally last year up 7pc.

google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tele … ation/amp/

My error, sorry. :blush:
I was giving figures for Jaguar only, not JLR group.
Figures from here:
statista.com/statistics/763 … lume-cars/