Is it ok to suck at driving when you first passed?

peggydeckboy:
The way I write,is the way I think and they way I would talk to anyone about anything, like it or not…

That’s fine, but NOT in this forum. (Like it or not. :smiley:)

Just to be clear… it not so much what you said, it was the harsh tone you used that isn’t acceptable to the ethos required in this forum. (It’s ok in the other forums though.)

If you’re having difficulty with the ethos of the Newbies’ Forum, we can adjust your forum permissions so that you don’t get to post in it. This is a free service that we insist on providing to help those with ongoing difficulties or the inability to heed a friendly and polite pointer.
(Whether they like it or not. :smiley:)

:bulb: Let’s leave it there and not spoil this topic eh? (Please :wink: )

I’ve driven past the odd drop/depot that I go to regularly.If you’re in doubt about a new drop, take a look on google streetview beforehand so you can look out for landmarks etc.

Everyone has the odd bad day when putting it on a bay, if it happens. Stop, take a deep breath and carry on - If in doubt, get out and look.

Arriving 5 minutes late is better than having a crash and spending an hour filling out paperwork and taking that vehicle off the road.

Even experienced drivers are slow on new jobs - It is why the parcel companies take on extra drivers for Christmas a week or two before it gets manic, so they get a chance to figure out the depots etc without the stress.

Do you have a driver’s mate? How do they think you’re doing compared to other drivers doing the same drops?

Hyh:
I’ve driven past the odd drop/depot that I go to regularly.If you’re in doubt about a new drop, take a look on google streetview beforehand so you can look out for landmarks etc.

Everyone has the odd bad day when putting it on a bay, if it happens. Stop, take a deep breath and carry on - If in doubt, get out and look.

Arriving 5 minutes late is better than having a crash and spending an hour filling out paperwork and taking that vehicle off the road.

Even experienced drivers are slow on new jobs - It is why the parcel companies take on extra drivers for Christmas a week or two before it gets manic, so they get a chance to figure out the depots etc without the stress.

Do you have a driver’s mate? How do they think you’re doing compared to other drivers doing the same drops?

This is from the real world, very good advice that I’ll gladly second. :smiley:

Hyh:

First week I was out with a trainer and he said I was doing fine but I still find myself occasionally arriving to drops designated for a certain time 15 mins / 30 mins late or something. My manager hasn’t said anything to me so maybe it’s just me trying to be a perfect delivery driver and just over thinking it.

TruckerWannabe123:

Hyh:

First week I was out with a trainer and he said I was doing fine but I still find myself occasionally arriving to drops designated for a certain time 15 mins / 30 mins late or something. My manager hasn’t said anything to me so maybe it’s just me trying to be a perfect delivery driver and just over thinking it.

Stop equating the time on a piece of paper to your ability to do a job.

I’m currently parked on a break at an Amazon site. I got here 2 hours early. I’m hanging it out here because I’m going to be over 3 hours early to my next amazon collection and they will turn me away most likely.

So using the time logic I’m an amazing driver. The truth is I’m not… I just got lucky with the traffic and have an easy shift planned. If they had written down I needed to be here 4 hours earlier, I’d have been late. Same driver but late or early is purely down to a booking time and not me.

Some firms like to push drivers to the max, and target times are not even optimistic. They are downright stupid. You go at your own pace and chill out. Einstein said time was relative… and relatively on your time you are early. Sod what the bit of paper says.

I’ve been driving artics for one and half years now and I still have my “off” days now and again when I try to get it onto a bay or ramp. Just last week I was struggling to back on a ramp in a pokey little factory in Newton Aycliffe which was placed very near a portacabin. The “banksman” was absolutely useless and was using windmill gestures instead of clear hand signals to guide me. Eventually, one of the supervisors got fed up and took over from him and I was straight on the ramp with him watching me since his signals were much better.

Don’t get flustered if you are struggling to get your truck on a tight bay. Take your time (and a gazillion shunts if needs be)! I’d rather take it nice and steady rather than hitting something and then filling in collision report forms (and also possibily losing your job, depending on the outfit you are working for and how serious your prang is). Don’t get put off if an audience gathers around to witness you having a hard time reversing into a super tight spot.

I often say to my self in those type of situations: If in doubt-check it out. :grimacing:

Don’t be embarassed to ask a fellow driver watch you in if the going gets pretty tough-the vast majority will happily oblige.

Just ignore the morons that have massive egos and unfairly criticise your driving skills. There is absolutely no need for that sort of demoralising behaviour.

Garbo. :grimacing: :smiley:

peggydeckboy:
Thank you DIESEL Dave ,Class 1 postie has been a member since 2019 AND POSTED 119 POSTS he might know, whatever you post it will attracted comments [that is a the forum for you ]

Peggydeckboy, you maybe getting confused, I don’t know where you got 119 posts from, I make it 13 (Inc this one)

As I said I’ve had a bad couple of shifts, but on the whole that isn’t a representation of how I work/drive. I pride myself on driving safely and carefully, paying attention and trying to be the best I can. That shows in the lack of accidents/damage (Or loss of mirrors as you admit to!), infringements or complaints/issues from employer, other drivers/shunters/Bay marshals I meet.

I try to help any new drivers with advice or reassurance to help them progress, just like I got from people on here and also fellow colleagues at work. Unfortunately in the real world, just like on here you get the odd self righteous, I’m better than anybody else, self opinionated ■■■■■■■■■ But that’s their problem, not mine.

This is all going to sound extremely old school for a bit but when I first started there was no satnav, mobiles weren’t really widespread and mobile Internet wasn’t really as is now.

These days there are so many tools to help its unreal. Thats not to say the “good old days” were any better or worse, it was just different. Nowadays you can scope out most places before you even go.

Having said that, I still drive round in circles sometimes looking for places, I still fudge a bay now and again and I dare say most do. Nobody fell out of the fanny knowing everything about lorry driving and everything else (except from Connor) and we all started off “less rounded” than we are now.

peggydeckboy:
YOU MY FRIEND,NEED to take a serious look, at are you in the right employment, you have been on this sight since 2019, all this zb-ollocks your a newbie etc,get a grip of your self. get your head in the right place you will be a danger to yourself and others,there is something else going on and it needs to be left at home …

whatever age you are, i have no idea i would not work with you,admitting you miss a entrance you know,or even not know,there are always signs whenever you get near any type of transport operation signs on the road, tire marks ,lorries nearby,noise put the windows down be aware, it is not nerves .first switch the radio OFF,silence,listen to the motor.stop worrying about others zb-em. you cannot be for real i do not believe what your saying…go back to what you were doing before whatever that was …driving is not for you ,my views only ,by reading what you have put on this site.

And this ladies and gents is what makes new drivers worry, when experienced drivers speak like their ■■■■■■■ stupid little mugs all because the newby is learning on the job.
Everyone was new, everyone was nervous, everyone was trying to just not make mistakes and everyone is just trying to make a living for their families

New drivers don’t listen to comments like this because in person they don’t talk like that it’s happened once to me and after a “brief chat” it never happened again. Ever. You need to shut that down or you will hate where you work. Don’t be a bully but make it known to the ■■■■ talker the pair of you will have problems at work if it continues.
Just take your time, be safe and immediately shut down any ■■■■ talkers and call them out in front of the rest of the workers and they will quit or they will have grief everytime.
■■■■■■■ hate bullies and mugging people off at work comes across bullyish and that’s a good way to get your face plastered and unfortunately the bullied will deal with the consequences after but the bully still got startched

We all in the same boat and for reasons unknown some people enjoy talking down at other less experienced individuals.