Insecure load? REALLY?

elsa Lad:
, With lorries being as powerful as they are now, drivers drive them like cars and don’t read the road ahead like you had to when we had crap brakes and a average of 290hp at 38 tonnes

Nail on head. :bulb:
It’s totally down to these guys (who think they are truck drivers) who drive like dicks, that have created these types of situations the rest of us have to put up with.

It’s this simple, the game has changed, you can either change with it or take the chance that if stopped you’ll likely end up coughing up, your choice.

I’ve done loads of stuff in the past, the 3t reels on their ends that Harry mentioned, not a strap in sight, I’ve had a few pallets I’ve had to restack, but never actually lost anything off, but I wouldn’t do it now! I also drove to the load and still do, but we’re not on a closed controlled circuit, we’re on the open road and whilst we can do things to limit what others do around us, we can’t second guess everything, we can’t guarantee we’ll never need to swerve or do an emergency stop either through making a mistake that we all do, or from outside influences and that’s the point, that’s where driving to the load argument falls down, so to be honest I don’t disagree with the need to strap stuff / have positive fit in an XL rated trailer.

I think if you look at it objectively and forget about what you’ve previously done and got away with, it’s common sense.

elsa Lad:
Daren’t say how we used to haul packs of bricks on flats with only a rope across the back to keep the ministry happy. Think people on here would have a fit how loads were held on 25+ years ago.

Meanwhile the real world of a right v wrong way to do the job was just the same as today.

c6.staticflickr.com/4/3718/1321 … 7785_b.jpg

Once upon a time the load was the responsibility of the driver and if anything went wrong it was the driver who answered for it. Nowadays everybody else seems to want to tell the driver how to do his job. the drivers ability to think for himself has flown out of the window along with the skills that went with road haulage. Most modern drivers pay for their licences with brain cells.

Think back a couple of years to just before the dcpc kicked in, nobody gave a crap about an envelope being strapped but now it is a heinous crime regardless of the fact nothing has moved and nobody has been injured. As has been mentioned, we used to move most of our loads around without restraints, the skilled drivers would look at their load and make it safe if they deemed it not to be. Very few loads were lost unlike today where it is a hourly occurrence.
Strapping loads does not make them secure, it simply ticks boxes. Strapping a standard 26 pallet load with the internals does not stop the load shooting forwards or backwards, but it is classed as safe by those know it alls at the dvsa. Think about that one.

Goldentanks:
Once upon a time the load was the responsibility of the driver and if anything went wrong it was the driver who answered for it. Nowadays everybody else seems to want to tell the driver how to do his job. the drivers ability to think for himself has flown out of the window along with the skills that went with road haulage. Most modern drivers pay for their licences with brain cells.

Think back a couple of years to just before the dcpc kicked in, nobody gave a crap about an envelope being strapped but now it is a heinous crime regardless of the fact nothing has moved and nobody has been injured. As has been mentioned, we used to move most of our loads around without restraints, the skilled drivers would look at their load and make it safe if they deemed it not to be. Very few loads were lost unlike today where it is a hourly occurrence.
Strapping loads does not make them secure, it simply ticks boxes. Strapping a standard 26 pallet load with the internals does not stop the load shooting forwards or backwards, but it is classed as safe by those know it alls at the dvsa. Think about that one.

Excellent post mate, and all very true and accurate.

robroy:

Goldentanks:

I’d disagree!!

jakethesnake:

SuperMultiBlue:
Class 2. Says it all

Ha, would you like a list for the number of class ones pulled everyday for serious offences by the DVSA?

Or were you trying to be funny. :wink:

I went past the Ross-on-wye check point yesterday and saw an artic trailer had been dropped with a DVSA ‘rope’ through one of the wheels! Tractor unit nowhere to be seen. I’m surprised they let him drop it there. Would that be because they can’t keep him there if he didn’t have night out gear?

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:

SuperMultiBlue:
Class 2. Says it all

Ha, would you like a list for the number of class ones pulled everyday for serious offences by the DVSA?

Or were you trying to be funny. :wink:

I went past the Ross-on-wye check point yesterday and saw an artic trailer had been dropped with a DVSA ‘rope’ through one of the wheels! Tractor unit nowhere to be seen. I’m surprised they let him drop it there. Would that be because they can’t keep him there if he didn’t have night out gear?

Depends what was wrong if the faults are only with the trailer then they will let the unit go or if the fault was on the unit they will allow you to drive somewhere local to get it sorted.

stevieboy308:

robroy:

Goldentanks:

I’d disagree!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
how could you possibly disagree with that post which is just accurate and common sense??

dieseldog999:

stevieboy308:

robroy:

Goldentanks:

I’d disagree!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
how could you possibly disagree with that post which is just accurate and common sense??

It plays to the crowd with all the right sound bites, but it’s mostly ■■■■■■■■ that anyone should see if looking at it objectively

dieseldog999:

stevieboy308:

robroy:

Goldentanks:

I’d disagree!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One thing we are not allowed to use is common sense. For the last 15 odd years I have stopped doing general haulage and been working for blue chip high street chains. The amount of bull crap is unbelievable. You just nod your head and keep quiet when some manager who probably haven’t got a car license let alone a hgv one tells you how to do your job. Common sense? Who needs that?

Go on then enlighten us, point out the bits that aint true and where he’s talking ■■■■■■■■.

Goldentanks:
As has been mentioned, we used to move most of our loads around without restraints, the skilled drivers would look at their load and make it safe if they deemed it not to be. Very few loads were lost unlike today where it is a hourly occurrence.

Define ‘most’ and ‘without restraints’.Are you saying that loads on flats were mostly left without roping them.Or that somehow a curtain sider miraculously does the the same job of containing/restraining a load as a tipper or even a box body.As opposed to a flat that doesn’t need to be sheeted.

On that note strapping/roping/chaining a load obviously makes it a lot more bleedin secure than not bothering to tie it down in whatever way.Even sometimes in the case of box body types let alone curtain siders.

Whether that’s same thing as saying that ropes or straps at least are guaranteed to withstand and deliver the kinetic energy contained in a 20 tonne + load of steel,or even a 1 tonne pallet,to the brakes when stopping from 50 mph,or to the turning wheels and tyres when going through a bend or a roundabout,is another question.In which case G force numbers are arguably irrelevant in that calculation.Which is why ideally steel coils for example are carried on trailers with wells in their floors.While without inboard floor located anchorage points longitudinal securing is always going to be compromised.Potentially to the point where the front bulkhead of the trailer or truck body is all that stands between the load and disaster.But not bothering to tie it all down at all ain’t going to fix all that.

robroy:
Go on then enlighten us, point out the bits that aint true and where he’s talking ■■■■■■■■.

‘‘We ‘used to’ move most of our loads without restraints’’ ?.To who someone who was lucky enough to have rope hooks on a tilt and thereby roped every load to within an inch of its life,with the benefit that I didn’t also have to sheet it,is bollox to me.Just like the idea that carrying plant or steel doesn’t automatically mean the use of chains to tie it down and hold it.

As for carrying bricks I’ve already shown the best practice as it stood in 1975 at least.

Yeh, I’m glad I don’t have to run the gauntlet of “licence damage” for just doing the damned horrible work that Pallet work is. Like OP - “I’m glad I’m out of it”.

Those stupid flimsey straps the palletliners use - are not going to hold the skin on a rice pudding - are they? :unamused:

Goldentanks:

What utter codswallop. The reason load security is now a big thing is because of how many have been lost over the years and the millions of hours lost to those unfortunate to be in the resulting road closures and diversions. Stuff did move, people did get injured and in some cases even killed. Only knobends looked at their load and decided whether they could get away with it or not, it had nothing to do with skill, everything to do with “Can I get away with it? Sod it I’ll just go careful on corners.” Plenty of loads were lost, plenty arrived at the other end not looking anything like when they set off. The only difference between now and then is that technology has made reporting such incidents and the associated road closures nationwide much easier. Had the internet and things like the Highways Agency App and TrafficEngland.com existed back in the day it would be reporting as bad if not worse than today.

People are telling drivers how to do their job today because such a large amount of them have demonstrated over decades their complete inability to actually do it properly to a decent standard. I went to do a store delivery last week in Wakefield. Store manager came up to me and asked if I’d been there before because they didn’t recognise me and when I said no I hadn’t they were surprised I’d reversed in instead of driving in and getting stuck like many other drivers had done the first time they’d gone there. That is how bad it has got. For every decent driver there’s at least 10 who only have a job because of a shortage of those willing to drive lorries.

Clowns like you must be taking some kind of tablets that distort your memory because quite clearly you have some real screwed up ideas about the “good old days”. Dieseldog999, well he’s from Northern Ireland which looks like its still stuck in the 1970s attitude wise and there’s not a single driver on that entire lump of land who can drive worth a ■■■■ as they like to demonstrate every time they land here.

Goldentanks:
Once upon a time the load was the responsibility of the driver and if anything went wrong it was the driver who answered for it.

Still the case

Goldentanks:
Nowadays everybody else seems to want to tell the driver how to do his job. the drivers ability to think for himself has flown out of the window along with the skills that went with road haulage.

The DVSA issue what they deem acceptable. A standard and standardisation, people moan when there’s inconsistencies, people moan when it’s laid out so there’s far less inconsistencies. People now know where they stand on what is expected.

I’ve not done general for years, but can only remember 1 site who issued instructions on how to secure the load, coiled wire out of Scunthorpe

Goldentanks:
Most modern drivers pay for their licences with brain cells.

Does that really need explaining why that’s ■■■■■■■■? Probably. But if you have to resort to that you have to question how much intellect is in the rest of it

Goldentanks:
Think back a couple of years to just before the dcpc kicked in, nobody gave a crap about an envelope being strapped but now it is a heinous crime regardless of the fact nothing has moved and nobody has been injured.

Yeah it was probably around that time that the dvsa starting taking load security seriously, the fact something hasn’t moved and no one was injured doesn’t mean it’s secure, an unlocked house that didn’t get robbed isn’t secure, a drink driver that didn’t crash or mow anyone down, would you let them carry on? It’s lucky that the load didn’t move, house didn’t get robbed or the drunk driver didn’t hit owt, you can’t rely on luck.

Goldentanks:
As has been mentioned, we used to move most of our loads around without restraints, the skilled drivers would look at their load and make it safe if they deemed it not to be. Very few loads were lost unlike today where it is a hourly occurrence.

As I’ve said, I’ve moved loads of stuff unrestrained without much issue, but I feel lucky I got away with it, as do most, but not everyone did or does, you’re rolling the dice, nothing more. No one can say they won’t make a mistake that mean a harsh braking or swerving and no one can stop an outside influence making you do the same, so forget the drive to the load argument.

Very few loads where lost compared to now, I want the evidence, I want the figures, it might be right, it might not, but don’t make claims like that unless you can fully back them up, don’t forget in the last 10 / 15 years we have social media that means we see so much more that we would never have seen or heard about

Goldentanks:

Strapping loads doesn’t make them safe, wtf, it does if you do it correctly, surely everyone will agree with that??

The headboard stopped it going forward

internals aren’t classed as sufficient by the dvsa for pallets over 400kg, you would need to strap it properly. if it’s a positive fit in an XL rated trailer then no straps are required at all.

So yeah, mostly ■■■■■■■■, despite the sound bites

Conor:

Goldentanks:

What utter codswallop. The reason load security is now a big thing is because of how many have been lost over the years and the millions of hours lost to those unfortunate to be in the resulting road closures and diversions. Stuff did move, people did get injured and in some cases even killed. Only knobends looked at their load and decided whether they could get away with it or not, it had nothing to do with skill, everything to do with “Can I get away with it? Sod it I’ll just go careful on corners.” Plenty of loads were lost, plenty arrived at the other end not looking anything like when they set off. The only difference between now and then is that technology has made reporting such incidents and the associated road closures nationwide much easier. Had the internet and things like the Highways Agency App and TrafficEngland.com existed back in the day it would be reporting as bad if not worse than today.

People are telling drivers how to do their job today because such a large amount of them have demonstrated over decades their complete inability to actually do it properly to a decent standard. I went to do a store delivery last week in Wakefield. Store manager came up to me and asked if I’d been there before because they didn’t recognise me and when I said no I hadn’t they were surprised I’d reversed in instead of driving in and getting stuck like many other drivers had done the first time they’d gone there. That is how bad it has got. For every decent driver there’s at least 10 who only have a job because of a shortage of those willing to drive lorries.

Clowns like you must be taking some kind of tablets that distort your memory because quite clearly you have some real screwed up ideas about the “good old days”. Dieseldog999, well he’s from Northern Ireland which looks like its still stuck in the 1970s attitude wise and there’s not a single driver on that entire lump of land who can drive worth a ■■■■ as they like to demonstrate every time they land here.

Blimey Conor don’t hold back tell it how you think it is. Hope you don’t plan to go to Northern Ireland soon, you may find a bomb under your truck :laughing: Dieseldog999 + the others who laugh at the ways which are done now have been there and done it over many years. We are very experienced drivers. Yes things change for better or worse but what we are trying to say loads like the one in the photo don’t shift unless you drive like a pillock, its common sense at the end of the day

It’s not always about driving like a pillock.

What about that tiny tiny chance you have to swerve around a car at 56mph on the m6 so you don’t kill someone when they’ve just done something stupid. Or swerve around a pedestrian who walks out.

You aren’t strapping 99% of loads for normal driving conditions. You’re strapping them so if there’s that tiny chance you do HAVE to make an evasive manoeuvre your load won’t go flying out through your curtains.

Those 2 pallets on the photo from the OP would shift in such an evasive manoeuvre.

Rowley010:
It’s not always about driving like a pillock.

What about that tiny tiny chance you have to swerve around a car at 56mph on the m6 so you don’t kill someone when they’ve just done something stupid. Or swerve around a pedestrian who walks out.

You aren’t strapping 99% of loads for normal driving conditions. You’re strapping them so if there’s that tiny chance you do HAVE to make an evasive manoeuvre your load won’t go flying out through your curtains.

Those 2 pallets on the photo from the OP would shift in such an evasive manoeuvre.

That is the commonsense that so many are missing