Idling to charge batteries

nightline:

AndrewG:
Why should you not be on works property? At my place employed drivers can do what they like, whether its checking load security on a pre loaded trailer to washing/cleaning their truck. What possible objection could an employer have if a driver has the savvy to come in to do these sort of things in their own time??

Well thats a easy one, because they are not insured to be on the premises while on holidays and that means in the yard playing with there truck

Not insured? What a complete load of ■■■■■■■■ that statement is, public and employee liability insurance is exactly what it says, it insures the public and employees. If it only covered employees that were on duty they would then be members of the public and covered under that.

So what if somebody wants to go in on their own time and set themselves up for the week? Does it really make a difference in your life?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:

nightline:

AndrewG:
Why should you not be on works property? At my place employed drivers can do what they like, whether its checking load security on a pre loaded trailer to washing/cleaning their truck. What possible objection could an employer have if a driver has the savvy to come in to do these sort of things in their own time??

Well thats a easy one, because they are not insured to be on the premises while on holidays and that means in the yard playing with there truck

Not insured? What a complete load of ■■■■■■■■ that statement is, public and employee liability insurance is exactly what it says, it insures the public and employees. If it only covered employees that were on duty they would then be members of the public and covered under that.

So what if somebody wants to go in on their own time and set themselves up for the week? Does it really make a difference in your life?

Have a look at the small print we are talking about people who are on holidays
Owner driver would not come into it

norb:

robroy:

norb:

robroy:
I went in yesterday to put all my stuff back in after hols and pick my trailer up etc. (first day back tomoro :frowning: )
It struggled a bit to start, it had stood 2 wks apart from getting my inverter fitted across the road, (and that will not have helped either) so I left it running for an hour …while I re.strapped my load PROPERLY ! :unamused:
The eco thing kicked in, and it kept switching it’s self off.
Now maybe everybody else already know this, but I didn’t :blush: …if you leave handbrake off (and for hard of thinking,…also chock wheels :smiley: ) it keeps ticking over. Handy to know.

Leaving handbrake off with the wheels chocked is looking for trouble ,why not raise the revs .once the revs are raised by 100 /200 revs .the ecu doesn’t class that as idling and the emgine won’t switch off ,That is how DAF work and can’t see why it would be different on any other truck,a quick press of the button on the steering wheel and job done

Ok, but why was it ‘’ looking for trouble’’ on a flat surface backed into the corner of the yard.
Back trailer axle wheels resting on kerbstone, front unit wheels chocked?..just asking.

My pet hate is having to rewrite a post because I made as ■■■ of the submit button…DOHHHH…

Do you think it is sensible as an adult to at any time leave a vehicle with the handbrake off unattended ,no matter if it is on the flat in a corner ■■? Obviuosly i do not know the weather conditions ,but if the ground is frozen and if you use plastic chocks ,don’t you think the chock may move ■■? Also remember as a driver of vast experience ,which i honestly think you are by your previous posts ,you are giving the impression to newbies that it is ok to let the handbrake off to charge the batteries …If it is a unit and trailer ,why not disconnect the airlines ,drop the trailer legs ,chock the trailer wheels ,then you can leave the handbrake off…I wuld imagine your trailer braking system is up to speed ,and since a trailer can be loaded without a unit on it ,the trailer braking system with the legs down will not have an issue with a unit under it …Not a personal dig rob but there is a more logical way of doing what you suggested as in your original post you never mentioned a flat level surface and being in a corner ,which may lead others to think it is ok just to release the handbrake ,not everyone has the experiene of yourself…

Ok, I won’t argue with you because you know what?
You’re right. :bulb:

In my defence though I did not come on and advise newbies to leave their handbrakes off willy nilly, and at every opportunity that they want to charge batteries,.
It was an isolated case where I would bet a months wages and more, that it would sure as hell present no danger on that occasion.

Perhaps I was living in the past when blokes who drove artics had common sense and could think things through themselves, I forgot that many have to be spoon fed instructions and bombarded with h&s risk assessments (not referring to you btw) before they attempt anything.
So for those who understood where I was coming from, do it if necessary, those who don’t , well…don’t.! :bulb:

I stand corrected. :confused: , (although with mitigation :smiley: )

robroy:

nightline:
Keep your cap on bud, i did not look for you to write a book about it, just wanted to understand the mantality of why anyone would give up there own time and fuel to do it, maybe its the free car wash

Not sure what ‘mantality’ is,… but I ‘wrote the book’ to clarify that I actually did NOT use my ‘own time and fuel’ to do anything, but I have clearly failed seeing as you still persist in repeating yourself, despite that.

Tell you what mate…Let’s just knock it on the head eh?
:unamused: :unamused:

I wouldn’t bother. He’s simply one of those obsessed with what everyone else does fort some inexplicable reason. This industry is plagued by them

switchlogic:
I wouldn’t bother. He’s simply one of those obsessed with what everyone else does fort some inexplicable reason. This industry is plagued by them

And that’s like calling the kettle black, you should have a close look in the mirror some day
O I forgot you do that a few times a day already

nightline:

switchlogic:

And that’s like calling the kettle black, you should have a close look in the mirror some day

2/10

switchlogic:

nightline:

switchlogic:

2/10

You’re being very generous there Luke.

robroy:
I went in yesterday to put all my stuff back in after hols and pick my trailer up etc. (first day back tomoro :frowning: )
It struggled a bit to start, it had stood 2 wks apart from getting my inverter fitted across the road, (and that will not have helped either) so I left it running for an hour …while I re.strapped my load PROPERLY ! :unamused:
The eco thing kicked in, and it kept switching it’s self off.
Now maybe everybody else already know this, but I didn’t :blush: …if you leave handbrake off (and for hard of thinking,…also chock wheels :smiley: ) it keeps ticking over. Handy to know.

May or may not apply to other lorries, but every one of the “eco-friendly” self switch-off units that I’ve driven could be bypassed by simply raising the idle speed using the cruise control.

the nodding donkey:

switchlogic:

nightline:

switchlogic:

2/10

You’re being very generous there Luke.

:smiley: :smiley: I’m a gentle soul, I don’t like to mock the afflicted…Much. :wink:

nightline:

newmercman:

nightline:

AndrewG:

Have a look at the small print we are talking about people who are on holidays
Owner driver would not come into it

I’m sorry, but looking at the small print of an insurance policy is pretty low on my list of things to do today, but I’ll take your word for it. I know insurance companies are a devious bunch who will stoop very low to avoid paying out, so you may have a point. I doubt it, but I’ll leave it to someone with more time to find that clause in the policy.

newmercman:

He likes to think of all those people going into work to set up their lorries while feeling superior because he’s sat at home in his pants whinging at people on here :wink: