Idling to charge batteries

nightline:

robroy:

the nodding donkey:

nightline:
Its the one thing i dont understand why would you be worried about your truck starting or your load spread 2 days before you go back to work and on top of that go in 2 days before to check its ok on your own time.

It’s part of sleeping in a tin box and ■■■■■■■■ in a carrier bag…

:laughing: :laughing:
Couldn’t have put it better myself, and furthermore I purposely left my wash kit at home, just so I can start smelling like a non-dayman again, and get used to washing with wet wipes, while I’m on unpaid night security vigil, and after I’ve had my Ginster’s pie, bag of crisps, and Mars bar for supper. :laughing:

Well said

Thank You very much. :sunglasses:

nightline:

robroy:

nightline:
Its the one thing i dont understand why would you be worried about your truck starting or your load spread 2 days before you go back to work and on top of that go in 2 days before to check its ok on your own time.

I don’t understand that either mate tbh :neutral_face: .
Anyway, you brought it up so you tell me,… Because in my case I will get paid for it on my next time sheet, AND at Saturday rate. :sunglasses: :bulb:

Also I wasn’t ‘‘worried’’ about it starting, I just discovered there and then that it may be a potential problem, so I therefore eradicated it. (hopefully)

Then I also discovered that some ■■■■ whit had put me at risk of an insecure load situation.

As for going in at all, I would much rather go in on an afternoon and get my cab (aka my home for the week) ready, than [zb] about at 5am Mon in the cold and frost, …which I have now found out would be in excess of 3 hours.
That and the fact that I had other things to do in the area, it was no hardship tbh.
But hey…Thanks for your concern.anyway ! :wink:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So when you book two weeks holidays with the job do you only book ten days away so you can be back and go in two days before you go back to work to check everything.
I don’t for a second believe you get paid for it, you should not be even on the property why because you are on holidays

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …Seriously ■■?
Mate…tbh I couldn’t give a flying ■■■■ what you do or do not believe.
However I will indulge you seeing as you are evidently so interested, (although I can’t figure out why :unamused: )

Saturdays are not part of my hols, Tues to Fridays are my normal week, Saturdays are for running back in, where I get paid overtime rate.
Now this is boring to everybody else, but seeing as you showed concern…I decided to start on Monday after having a fortnight off (note…if you want me to give you a full account as to why, do let me know)

Furthermore I do not work for the type of firm where ‘‘I should not be on the premises’’ they are fairly easy going, in fact I have seen me call in on a Sunday if passing with the Mrs, for a free car wash.
(before you ask no I don’t get paid for that surprisingly, AND we were going to Tesco’s and then to Toby Carvery for lunch, got back home for 6 ish)

Hope that clears up your query, do not hesitate to ask if you want any more information, or detai now will you.

Has that actually just happened? :neutral_face: :laughing:

Note to Andrew…it wasn’t my own time in a way as I said I’ll get paid for it…don’t set him off again ffs! :laughing: :laughing:

I trust you’ll be making a manual entry on your digital card to reflect the time spend in the yard.

the nodding donkey:
I trust you’ll be making a manual entry on your digital card to reflect the time spend in the yard.

Of course, …I would not have it any other way.
Admittedlly I’ll need to ask somebody how to :blush: , but I promise to give it my earliest attention in the morning. :laughing:

robroy:
I went in yesterday to put all my stuff back in after hols and pick my trailer up etc. (first day back tomoro :frowning: )
It struggled a bit to start, it had stood 2 wks apart from getting my inverter fitted across the road, (and that will not have helped either) so I left it running for an hour …while I re.strapped my load PROPERLY ! :unamused:
The eco thing kicked in, and it kept switching it’s self off.
Now maybe everybody else already know this, but I didn’t :blush: …if you leave handbrake off (and for hard of thinking,…also chock wheels :smiley: ) it keeps ticking over. Handy to know.

Leaving handbrake off with the wheels chocked is looking for trouble ,why not raise the revs .once the revs are raised by 100 /200 revs .the ecu doesn’t class that as idling and the emgine won’t switch off ,That is how DAF work and can’t see why it would be different on any other truck,a quick press of the button on the steering wheel and job done

norb:

robroy:
I went in yesterday to put all my stuff back in after hols and pick my trailer up etc. (first day back tomoro :frowning: )
It struggled a bit to start, it had stood 2 wks apart from getting my inverter fitted across the road, (and that will not have helped either) so I left it running for an hour …while I re.strapped my load PROPERLY ! :unamused:
Now maybe everybody else already know this, but I didn’t :blush: …if you leave handbrake off (and for hard of thinking,…also chock wheels :smiley: ) it keeps ticking over. Handy to know.

Leaving handbrake off with the wheels chocked is looking for trouble ,why not raise the revs .once the revs are raised by 100 /200 revs .the ecu doesn’t class that as idling and the emgine won’t switch off ,That is how DAF work and can’t see why it would be different on any other truck,a quick press of the button on the steering wheel and job done

Ok, but why was it ‘’ looking for trouble’’ on a flat surface backed into the corner of the yard.
Back trailer axle wheels resting on kerbstone, front unit wheels chocked?..just asking.

AndrewG:
Why should you not be on works property? At my place employed drivers can do what they like, whether its checking load security on a pre loaded trailer to washing/cleaning their truck. What possible objection could an employer have if a driver has the savvy to come in to do these sort of things in their own time??

Well thats a easy one, because they are not insured to be on the premises while on holidays and that means in the yard playing with there truck

robroy:

nightline:

robroy:

nightline:

I don’t understand that either mate tbh :neutral_face: .
Anyway, you brought it up so you tell me,… Because in my case I will get paid for it on my next time sheet, AND at Saturday rate. :sunglasses: :bulb:

Also I wasn’t ‘‘worried’’ about it starting, I just discovered there and then that it may be a potential problem, so I therefore eradicated it. (hopefully)

Then I also discovered that some ■■■■ whit had put me at risk of an insecure load situation.

As for going in at all, I would much rather go in on an afternoon and get my cab (aka my home for the week) ready, than [zb] about at 5am Mon in the cold and frost, …which I have now found out would be in excess of 3 hours.
That and the fact that I had other things to do in the area, it was no hardship tbh.
But hey…Thanks for your concern.anyway ! :wink:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So when you book two weeks holidays with the job do you only book ten days away so you can be back and go in two days before you go back to work to check everything.
I don’t for a second believe you get paid for it, you should not be even on the property why because you are on holidays

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …Seriously ■■?
Mate…tbh I couldn’t give a flying [zb] what you do or do not believe.
However I will indulge you seeing as you are evidently so interested, (although I can’t figure out why :unamused: )

Saturdays are not part of my hols, Tues to Fridays are my normal week, Saturdays are for running back in, where I get paid overtime rate.
Now this is boring to everybody else, but seeing as you showed concern…I decided to start on Monday after having a fortnight off (note…if you want me to give you a full account as to why, do let me know)

Furthermore I do not work for the type of firm where ‘‘I should not be on the premises’’ they are fairly easy going, in fact I have seen me call in on a Sunday if passing with the Mrs, for a free car wash.
(before you ask no I don’t get paid for that surprisingly, AND we were going to Tesco’s and then to Toby Carvery for lunch, got back home for 6 ish)

Hope that clears up your query, do not hesitate to ask if you want any more information, or detai now will you.

Has that actually just happened? :neutral_face: :laughing:

Note to Andrew…it wasn’t my own time in a way as I said I’ll get paid for it…don’t set him off again ffs! :laughing: :laughing:

Keep your cap on bud, i did not look for you to write a book about it, just wanted to understand the mantality of why anyone would give up there own time and fuel to do it, maybe its the free car wash

I run the engine for 20 minutes every four hours when parked-up and in residence during the day. Just the same as the Tiger tanks in Kelly’s Heroes.

nightline:
Keep your cap on bud, i did not look for you to write a book about it, just wanted to understand the mantality of why anyone would give up there own time and fuel to do it, maybe its the free car wash

Not sure what ‘mantality’ is,… but I ‘wrote the book’ to clarify that I actually did NOT use my ‘own time and fuel’ to do anything, but I have clearly failed seeing as you still persist in repeating yourself, despite that.

Tell you what mate…Let’s just knock it on the head eh?
:unamused: :unamused:

nightline:

AndrewG:
Why should you not be on works property? At my place employed drivers can do what they like, whether its checking load security on a pre loaded trailer to washing/cleaning their truck. What possible objection could an employer have if a driver has the savvy to come in to do these sort of things in their own time??

Well thats a easy one, because they are not insured to be on the premises while on holidays and that means in the yard playing with there truck

Insured…that old chestnut…no doubt the health and safety nazis would be onto this too??
In that case no driver would be insured until his card was in the slot. Booking off would no doubt also be precarious, card out of slot, step down onto terra firma and BANG!..splattered by a fork lift, sorry , no insurance payout, youve finished work for the day.
If an employer has no issues with allowing drivers to hook up, checkover, wash their truck ect on days off its entirely up to them.
Of course, working for some BS blue chip/ on time/customer first/logistic plobbing company and things might be different…but then again…what driver working for these kind of outfits would even bother anyway… :unamused:

AndrewG:

nightline:

AndrewG:

Insured…that old chestnut…no doubt the health and safety nazis would be onto this too??
In that case no driver would be insured until his card was in the slot. Booking off would no doubt also be precarious, card out of slot, step down onto terra firma and BANG!..splattered by a fork lift, sorry , no insurance payout, youve finished work for the day.
If an employer has no issues with allowing drivers to hook up, checkover, wash their truck ect on days off its entirely up to them.
Of course, working for some BS blue chip/ on time/customer first/logistic plobbing company and things might be different…but then again…what driver working for these kind of outfits would even bother anyway… :unamused:

Nothing got to do with your card if your not on holidays and down to work you are insured from the time you enter the premises and leave, some even have you insured from leaving home to go to work

One would imagine the employers liability insurance covers Rob for his scandalous act of visiting work premises when on holibobs.
Perhaps an overlap onto the employers public liability insurance but my brother who’s high up in insurance (12 floor) advises the employers one will cover this if involved in a work related matter, being on the clock is irrelevant.

I go in Sunday’s to check my baby over when I’ve been on holidays.
If a problem is found I go in Monday, ring it in then go back to bed whilst waiting for fitter.

Franglais:
A voltmeter should give good indication to state of charge of a battery. Not many (none?) are fitted nowadays although they were a common fitment. Note that manufacturer fitted fridges etc often cut out when the voltage drops below a certain value. So find out that number and if your reading drops to near that level, its time to flash up the motor. It should be possible to take a reading from the cig lighter socket, and Ill have a small bet that eBay will have summat on offer? Any device should have negligible drain and could be a good indicator.
As said already alternators will give a good charge almost from a standstill:
dieselusa.com/productinfo/Bo … 20200a.pdf
Note the output graphs, the output is near max from about 4000rpm. Thats alternator rpm not engine rpm, so just about tickover and youre charging the batteries.
Re eco cut out: on my DAF pushing the cruise + button (neutral, handbrake on) will knock the revs up and prevent auto cutoff. I`m passing no comment on running engines warm/cold/wear/piston slap/fuel etc etc etc.

Most trucks still have voltmeters ,you just have to look for them on the display somewhere.

big al st:

Franglais:
A voltmeter should give good indication to state of charge of a battery. Not many (none?) are fitted nowadays although they were a common fitment. Note that manufacturer fitted fridges etc often cut out when the voltage drops below a certain value. So find out that number and if your reading drops to near that level, its time to flash up the motor. It should be possible to take a reading from the cig lighter socket, and Ill have a small bet that eBay will have summat on offer? Any device should have negligible drain and could be a good indicator.
As said already alternators will give a good charge almost from a standstill:
dieselusa.com/productinfo/Bo … 20200a.pdf
Note the output graphs, the output is near max from about 4000rpm. Thats alternator rpm not engine rpm, so just about tickover and youre charging the batteries.
Re eco cut out: on my DAF pushing the cruise + button (neutral, handbrake on) will knock the revs up and prevent auto cutoff. I`m passing no comment on running engines warm/cold/wear/piston slap/fuel etc etc etc.

Most trucks still have voltmeters ,you just have to look for them on the display somewhere.

I`m sure that the ECU will “know” what the voltage is. I wonder if most trucks enable the driver to view that though?

robroy:

norb:

robroy:

Ok, but why was it ‘’ looking for trouble’’ on a flat surface backed into the corner of the yard.
Back trailer axle wheels resting on kerbstone, front unit wheels chocked?..just asking.

My pet hate is having to rewrite a post because I made as ■■■ of the submit button…DOHHHH…

Do you think it is sensible as an adult to at any time leave a vehicle with the handbrake off unattended ,no matter if it is on the flat in a corner ■■? Obviuosly i do not know the weather conditions ,but if the ground is frozen and if you use plastic chocks ,don’t you think the chock may move ■■? Also remember as a driver of vast experience ,which i honestly think you are by your previous posts ,you are giving the impression to newbies that it is ok to let the handbrake off to charge the batteries …If it is a unit and trailer ,why not disconnect the airlines ,drop the trailer legs ,chock the trailer wheels ,then you can leave the handbrake off…I wuld imagine your trailer braking system is up to speed ,and since a trailer can be loaded without a unit on it ,the trailer braking system with the legs down will not have an issue with a unit under it …Not a personal dig rob but there is a more logical way of doing what you suggested as in your original post you never mentioned a flat level surface and being in a corner ,which may lead others to think it is ok just to release the handbrake ,not everyone has the experiene of yourself…

yourhavingalarf:
A flat battery is a total PITA but, you can jump motors from the ABS lead.

Tried it with a 2015 Scania, deffo doesn’t work. Fortunately had jumper cables with me at all times.

norb:

robroy:

norb:

robroy:

My pet hate is having to rewrite a post because I made as ■■■ of the submit button…DOHHHH…

Do you think it is sensible as an adult to at any time leave a vehicle with the handbrake off unattended ,no matter if it is on the flat in a corner ■■? Obviuosly i do not know the weather conditions ,but if the ground is frozen and if you use plastic chocks ,don’t you think the chock may move ■■? Also remember as a driver of vast experience ,which i honestly think you are by your previous posts ,you are giving the impression to newbies that it is ok to let the handbrake off to charge the batteries …If it is a unit and trailer ,why not disconnect the airlines ,drop the trailer legs ,chock the trailer wheels ,then you can leave the handbrake off…I wuld imagine your trailer braking system is up to speed ,and since a trailer can be loaded without a unit on it ,the trailer braking system with the legs down will not have an issue with a unit under it …Not a personal dig rob but there is a more logical way of doing what you suggested as in your original post you never mentioned a flat level surface and being in a corner ,which may lead others to think it is ok just to release the handbrake ,not everyone has the experiene of yourself…

Or just put the trailer brake on?

LOL Night and Day …I did say that in a long drawn out way …just amazed that an experienced driver would accept leaving the handbrake off as acceptable in any circumstance

norb:
LOL Night and Day …I did say that in a long drawn out way …just amazed that an experienced driver would accept leaving the handbrake off as acceptable in any circumstance

Leave off the man. It’s not his fault. One day you’ll be getting on and wondering wether you put the handbrake on or not…