I desparate need of advice if anyone can help

thats got to be the way to go, class 7 test from there on in, cheaper insurance, no parking probs etc etc and the van will still do the job.
to be honest, i’m not convinced that any mods are needed on the van to “down” rate, spoke to one of the machanics from the garage i use and he assures me that when they’ve down plated 10 tonners to 7.5t they’ve simply got a new plate on test showing the new weight.
might be worth just calling in to the nearest ministry test station and asking how you stand.

paul b:
wanted. v8 scania, most have lots of lights, bullbars and air horn

Ricki B said;

Reading from the plate in the cab: GW=5500, TW=9000. Axle weights Axle 1=2120, axle 2=3725.

What you have there Ricki is a bona fide HGV. With the gross weight at 5500kg you require; testing at an HGVTS. You will be required to use tachograph charts and abide by the EC drivers Hours rules, what you described as your work could possibly be exempt under Article 13, provided you stayed within 50km of base and didn’t drive for more than 4 hours each day, the other two parts of the exemption you already have, but you must get all four sections for it to count! You will also need an Operators licence, an Operating Centre, where the vehicle will usually park when not in use, your house may not fit the criteria and on street parking is a no no. You will also need to get a maintenance contract to cover the periodic safety inspections.

DRAFT PLAN is a must, do not use vehicle on road in present form; VOSA would have a field day and you could get the vehicle impounded as you don’t have an O-Licence. Get the blocks stuck in the suspension as advised and get down to GVTS for that plating inspection so that you get that all important Plating Certificate showing maximum gross weight at 3500kg. Whilst at the GVTS see if you can run over the weighbridge and get the front, and rear axle weights and gross weight of the vehicle empty, but with a full tank of fuel. From these weight you can now see what you can carry compared with the Ministry Plate that you will be issued. Don’t forget to advise DVLA of replating, it won’t make any difference to the tax you pay (unfortunately) but it is a legal requirement to tell them. The Annual MOT can then be done at ANY test centre capable of doing a Class 7 test.

Paul b said:

to be honest, I’m not convinced that any mods are needed on the van to “down” rate, spoke to one of the mechanics from the garage i use and he assures me that when they’ve down plated 10 tonners to 7.5t they’ve simply got a new plate on test showing the new weight.

Many vehicle have no modifications when downplated, but many do. The lowering of vehicles like this one from 5500kg to 3500kg usually require some form of spacer block. Easiest way to check is either ask at the GVTS or call their info line on; 0870 6060440. But you might be like me and don’t call 0870 numbers on principal!

From the FTA (Freight Transport Association):

“Downplating to the significant legal thresholds of 7.5 tonnes / 3.5 tonnes or below can only be carried out on the basis of physical alterations being made to the vehicle to correspondingly reduce it’s design weight”

That’s the theory although whether anything needs to be done in practice is a different matter.