How much fuel ?

Is that you UKTramp?

volvo box.png

Mazzer2:
If UK container operators used the same spec trailers as the Dutch and Belgians they would probably increase their mpg by as much 2 mpg having a foot of container needlessly higher than the unit is a complete waste of diesel.

you mean like this, box sitting flush with mudguards on 70 or 60 profile tyres., ive often wondered the same.

the Europeans seem to have made it work, dam sure if I was doing boxes,i would get a forigen spec skelly, just for the lower height,and fuel savings it would bring, pointy shoe mangers havn’t seen the skeely from Europe.

If doing deep sea you tend to do more miles than short sea,what I have noticed in my opinion short sea seems less reloads,don’t forget that some containers go by rail to the docks, I know they have to be taken to and from the rail head,I do mostly liverpool ,normanton ,heywood out of London gate way,when I go to purfleet it’s mainly local,milton Keynes, Northampton,

biggriffin:

Mazzer2:
If UK container operators used the same spec trailers as the Dutch and Belgians they would probably increase their mpg by as much 2 mpg having a foot of container needlessly higher than the unit is a complete waste of diesel.

you mean like this, box sitting flush with mudguards on 70 or 60 profile tyres., ive often wondered the same.

the Europeans seem to have made it work, dam sure if I was doing boxes,i would get a forigen spec skelly, just for the lower height,and fuel savings it would bring, pointy shoe mangers havn’t seen the skeely from Europe.

That’s the set up quite obvious at first glance that this is going to save you money over the UK set up

malcolmgbell:
If doing deep sea you tend to do more miles than short sea,what I have noticed in my opinion short sea seems less reloads,don’t forget that some containers go by rail to the docks, I know they have to be taken to and from the rail head,I do mostly liverpool ,normanton ,heywood out of London gate way,when I go to purfleet it’s mainly local,milton Keynes, Northampton,

malclomgbell
Sounds near enough to me !
I’m looking for anonymous non- attributable info just to get some figures together for a project In working on.

Just hit me with some mpg loaded unloaded/ miles per week/ % of time loaded vs. unloaded please.

That would be kind of you can/ would.

Fridgeraider

Mazzer2:

biggriffin:

Mazzer2:

That’s the set up quite obvious at first glance that this is going to save you money over the UK set up

Just makes so much sense, put 70 profile tyres,low 5th wheel, be about 2foot lower than a normal UK outfit.

biggriffin:

Mazzer2:

biggriffin:

Mazzer2:

Just makes so much sense, put 70 profile tyres,low 5th wheel, be about 2foot lower than a normal UK outfit.

315/70’s, a proper 5th, gooseneck skelly with a megacube will have you running legal in europe. They do it in EUROPE because they have to run at 4m +/-1%.

Whereas we in the uk dont have to so we decide to run it 50cm higher then our conti european brethren. I onced asked a container haulier the same question, apparently the 15k for a nice euro spec d-tec-broshuis sliding skelly isnt worth it.

Go figure.

315/70’s, a proper 5th, gooseneck skelly with a megacube will have you running legal in europe. They do it in EUROPE because they have to run at 4m +/-1%.

Whereas we in the uk dont have to so we decide to run it 50cm higher then our conti european brethren. I onced asked a container haulier the same question, apparently the 15k for a nice euro spec d-tec-broshuis sliding skelly isnt worth it.

Go figure.
[/quote]
A quick calculation on 100,000 miles per year a saving of 2mpg is about 2,500 gallons per year at a rough figure of £5 per gallon that is £12,500 so 15 months or so after purchase the trailer has paid for itself.

As a quick disclaimer I did fail my maths O level so these figures maybe complete crap

Mazzer2:

Go figure.

A quick calculation on 100,000 miles per year a saving of 2mpg is about 2,500 gallons per year at a rough figure of £5 per gallon that is £12,500 so 15 months or so after purchase the trailer has paid for itself.

As a quick disclaimer I did fail my maths O level so these figures maybe complete crap
[/quote]

It’s lost on some people, but what about the poor bridges, I bet network rail would think it’s a brilliant idea.

youtu.be/GsvBqCFNyQY

Hopefully, no one has ever seen anything like this.
:smiley:

Can you legally carry a maxed weight 20ft on one of them continental trailers. If not and I don’t think you can then you loose your flexibility to carry any combination of boxes as required.

Having just gone back and read the whole thread are we now treating uktramp as a sensible poster or are we just amusing ourselves with him.

Beau Nydel:
Having just gone back and read the whole thread are we now treating uktramp as a sensible poster or are we just amusing ourselves with him.

UK Tramp, aka…
the list is too long…
Does start some interesting conversations. The topics can be informative and many other contributors give good inputs, whether factual or humorous.
Whether the OP starts a threat with a serious or mischievous intent, isn’t always important, IMHO.
Threads take on a life of their own don’t they?
Doesn’t much matter if a thread is started by a genuine or spoffing individual. They grow more or less interesting the to the content provided by the others.
Well, that’s my take on it.
So, aren’t we amusing ourselves on this thread, indifferent to who started it?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk