Hgv driver killed in immingham

@radar19

Is it a written rule in your yard?

eddie snax:
Very tragic avoidable incident. I’ve thought for a few year that it can’t be beyond the wit of man to make the park brake apply automaticaly when the red line is reieased, but that it can be only released manually after the red line has been connected.

My thoughts are with the driver’s family and friends, rip driver.

A fair few of our fridges have two red trailer brake toggles - one automatically applies when red airline is removed and the other is the usual manual type.

Radar19:

kjw21:

Radar19:
The trailers don’t have the trailer brake on because it’s a Ro-Ro terminal. They actively ask you not to use them. It’s written in big letters at Dockside.

Get a photo of that sign cos I’ll hazard a guess it might be disappearing soon.

I didn’t know it was on their site but Immingham Transport sub for everyone here so must treat yard like Ro-Ro terminal. Our yard is like that. We don’t use Trailer brakes.

FFS Radar, get yourself a different job mate. :frowning:

I’m one step away from that Beaver, just waiting for a start date.

Radar19:

kjw21:

Radar19:
The trailers don’t have the trailer brake on because it’s a Ro-Ro terminal. They actively ask you not to use them. It’s written in big letters at Dockside.

I didn’t know it was on their site but Immingham Transport sub for everyone here so must treat yard like Ro-Ro terminal. Our yard is like that. We don’t use Trailer brakes.

They need to sort that out now then. HSE will have them by the [zb]

That is by my reckoning the 3rd poor sod who has died like that in the area in the last 2/3 years, one at TATA Steel in Scunthorpe, and 2 in Immingham, ALWAYS ALWAYS PUT THE TRAILER BRAKE ON, only takes a few seconds.

poor sod…easy mistake to make…anything going on or off the ferries would seldom have the brakes on…just ram it and lift it would be the norm.i did it once early morn after working day and night with no sleep etc,blew it off,kakked myself as it started coming towards me,popped the suzy and energeticly took a swan dive out of the gap onto my neck…instant wakeyakey.

Very sad for the driver and his family.
We do a lot of drop ferry trailers. Seldom does anyone bother with park brakes. Many of our newer trailers have the handbrake button pop out as soon the red line is dropped. It can only be pushed in aftervred line reconnected. Much safer system.
Even on older trailers using or checking handbrakes only takes half a minute, given the risks it’s a good use of 30 seconds.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Very sad for the driver and his family.
We do a lot of drop ferry trailers. Seldom does anyone bother with park brakes. Many of our newer trailers have the handbrake button pop out as soon the red line is dropped. It can only be pushed in aftervred line reconnected. Much safer system.
Even on older trailers using or checking handbrakes only takes half a minute, given the risks it’s a good use of 30 seconds.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

You would think that after all the deaths that have been caused by the trailer brake something would be done without cost being a factor in not doing it.
Can you image the carnage if planes where dropping out of the sky because they didn’t want to fix a known fault which caused a disaster by retro fitting extra parts to stop it happening because of cost.

When ours are new the garage fit air taps which are a bit under the cab so the driver is standing on ground when he opens them, much safer although apparently not legal anymore in some countries. Esbjerg is the same, sign says no trailer brake.

If there is a sign ‘discouraging’ application of the trailer park brake in any yard where there has been a fatal accident attributable to the park brake then the company should not be fined.

Instead it should be closed down, its assets sold, all bank accounts and shareholder investment sequestrated, the entire management team from Chairman down to yard foreman imprisoned and then banned for life from ever holding a responsible position again. Off with their heads would be a better idea because every single one of them knew what could result. Ultimately there can only be one reason for erecting such a sign…££££££££££££££££££££££££££.

There is one simple way to prevent these accidents, a Rider attached to another unrelated Bill being discussed in Parliament which decrees that all trailers in commercial use irrespective of date of manufacture are to be fitted with an automatic parking brake (ie applies the spring brakes). This to become a testable item at MOT from July 1st 2017. IIRC this can also be done via an Order in Council.

Shunters don’t use the trailer brakes often, because whilst for the driver it’s a 20 second action that takes little effort, for shunters, it becomes quite frankly a ball ache. Not justifying it, just explaining. I can imagine that in a ro-ro operation, when the ship needs to be turned around in short time, the shunters won’t bother getting down and running around trailers looking for hand brake buttons.
And before the bleeding Hart brigade start, whilst anybody dropping a trailer should apply the hand brake, it is the driver who connects up, who should check before, if the hand brake is applied.

kjw21:

Radar19:

They have basically made a rule that goes against one of the main safety rules of hooking up.

I can understand why from their point of view but I wouldn’t like to have to be stood explaining why “my site rules” overrule a prime safety guideline, which has been mentioned is an instant fail should you not follow when obtaining the license.

purfleet docks the same, i pull the brake on on the trailer around me just to wee them of

malcolmgbell:

kjw21:

Radar19:

They have basically made a rule that goes against one of the main safety rules of hooking up.

I can understand why from their point of view but I wouldn’t like to have to be stood explaining why “my site rules” overrule a prime safety guideline, which has been mentioned is an instant fail should you not follow when obtaining the license.

purfleet docks the same, i pull the brake on on the trailer around me just to wee them of

Smart move that and are you going to pay for 6 new super singles when the shunter flat spots the tyres as he pulls forwards, as Nodding Donkey states above it is the responsibility of the driver hooking up to the trailer to ensure the brake is on. Dock operations are running to tight schedules when loading boats, when dropping a trailer in any docks I will apply the brakes for uncoupling and then once finished release the brake and when hooking up put the brake on don’t see how this is dangerous or goes against any H & S rules. Drivers complain about being treated like retards yet seem to be their own worst enemy either by not being able to carry out a simple task such as hooking into a trailer or feeling the need to ■■■■ about with a trailer that has nothing to do with them just because it will wee off the shunter

mazzer:

malcolmgbell:

kjw21:

Radar19:

Smart move that and are you going to pay for 6 new super singles when the shunter flat spots the tyres as he pulls forwards, as Nodding Donkey states above it is the responsibility of the driver hooking up to the trailer to ensure the brake is on. Dock operations are running to tight schedules when loading boats, when dropping a trailer in any docks I will apply the brakes for uncoupling and then once finished release the brake and when hooking up put the brake on don’t see how this is dangerous or goes against any H & S rules. Drivers complain about being treated like retards yet seem to be their own worst enemy either by not being able to carry out a simple task such as hooking into a trailer or feeling the need to ■■■■ about with a trailer that has nothing to do with them just because it will wee off the shunter

+1 Brace yourself to be told you are an idiot who should be flogged for not following “h&s” rules like an automaton, but trying to help others get their job done.

As for Mr Bell, he comes across like the type that pulls the pin on parked trailers, because ’ the driver looked at me funny’.

SouthEastCashew:

AndrewG:

bald bloke:

DRIVER2:
Was a subby for ntex happened at imm tspt
Driver jumped the pin but continued to couple not realising put the airlines on first trailer came forward crushing him between the cab and the trl was there around 2 hours. before he was found apparently there was only a 10 inch gap between the trl and unit that should have been enough to make him think something wasn’t quite right
Sad accident that could of been avoided

If there was a 10" gap how did he get in there in the first place and surely the trailer brake would have been on .

If the trailer brake wasnt on and he’d missed the pin it would only take a small decline once the red line was connected for the trailer to move forward…

Don’t understand why he didn’t pull the red line off guess it was a heat of a moment thing. R.I.P drive

For one that may not have stopped the trailer fast enough and also if the gap was that small he wouldn’t have had time to register what’s going on anyway

Not disagreeing with the reasons for leaving a trailer with the brake off at all. It makes sense.

BUT it’s a brave/stupid company to have a sign that leaves themselves wide open to criticism when something untoward happens.

Common sense says just knock the brake off after you’ve pulled from under the trailer but guidelines are designed to cater to thickest idiots.

I dont agree with a lot of H&S and what your saying is right in the real world but court/a tribunal etc don’t always reflect that.

Health and Safety will come down on many like a ton of brick over this but you know who else needs to start taking responsibility? Trailer manufacturers. Why the f… The trailer brake isn’t beside the airlines is beyond me. Its insane having them halfway down trailer. Tesco get a lot of flak for many things but the brake is in right place and they’ve mavis rails on all their trailers so drivers don’t need to get on catwalk. This shouldn’t be the exception in 2017, it should be the law, lives depend on it.

eddie snax:
Very tragic avoidable incident. I’ve thought for a few year that it can’t be beyond the wit of man to make the park brake apply automaticaly when the red line is reieased, but that it can be only released manually after the red line has been connected.

My thoughts are with the driver’s family and friends, rip driver.

New Gray & Adams trailer put the brake on automatically when dropped. This should also be standard or even law