"Heavy Haulage through the years"

jsutherland:

oiltreader:

pv83:

jsutherland:
Oshkosh is a relatively new manufacturer for me - sorry for my ignorance again. I believe their trucking focus is, among others, is specialty trucks, military vehicles, truck bodies, airport fire apparatus and access equipment.

Courtesy of martinuz41: instagram.com/martinuz41/

The armed forces uses those black ones Johnny, seen them a lot when I shifted tanks for them between their camps in Germany, quite impressive to say the least, I believe they’re powered by either ■■■■■■■ or CAT engines. But having that said… who remembers the Scammell Commanders they had back in the day…? Now that was some beast indeed :wink:

From a fellow flickrite today.
Oily

Nice one Oily!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That’s the one Oily, ta mate :wink: Does anyone know what make the trailer is? Thought it was a King, but I’m not sure…old age kicking in you see… :wink:

pv83:

jsutherland:
Oshkosh is a relatively new manufacturer for me - sorry for my ignorance again. I believe their trucking focus is, among others, is specialty trucks, military vehicles, truck bodies, airport fire apparatus and access equipment.

The armed forces uses those black ones Johnny, seen them a lot when I shifted tanks for them between their barracks in Germany, quite impressive to say the least, I believe they’re powered by either ■■■■■■■ or CAT engines. But having that said… who remembers the Scammell Commanders they had back in the day…? Now that was some beast indeed :wink:

Scammell Commanders - who could forget them. When I was a wee laddie I loved them. Even today they are still an impressive sight.

pv83:

jsutherland:

DEANB:
Hills heavy haulage.
Click on pages twice.

Great article Dean!!

Aye, nice one Dean, cheers!

Bit of a one off though, never seen or heard of a tractor unit being fitted with hydraulic suspension before, it’s quite common on trailers, especially on the modular stuff, ground clearance is better and you can adjust each side separately… it’s just bit more of a bumpy ride when empty…
Another thing that striked me as odd in the article is that they used PTO’s to power the hydraulics of the trailer necks and such, instead of using a donkey engine…
What happened to Hill’s anyway? Were they taken over or did they just seized trading?

Dont know anything about Hills chap ! :unamused: Nice to see you back whats the crack you keep getting lost
or something or just dragging the jobs out ■■? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Oily that Constructor you posted on the last page. I have an article about that somewhere will pop it on
when i find it. :wink:

jsutherland:

pv83:

jsutherland:

The armed forces uses those black ones Johnny, seen them a lot when I shifted tanks for them between their barracks in Germany, quite impressive to say the least, I believe they’re powered by either ■■■■■■■ or CAT engines. But having that said… who remembers the Scammell Commanders they had back in the day…? Now that was some beast indeed :wink:

Scammell Commanders - who could forget them. When I was a wee laddie I loved them. Even today they are still an impressive sight.

Here you go Johnny. :laughing: :wink:

I will have some other articles on Commanders somewhere,will see if i can find them.

Click on pages twice to read.

Just had a look Oily and i have already scanned it. :unamused:

Couple more from my uncles album of his time in Saudi with Big Lift with the Mercedes Titan.

Nice to see you’re that concerned about my well being Dean, cheers! :laughing: :laughing:
Now, I could say I was out working all the time, but since nobody on here believes that, apart from Herr Sutherland that is, I’ll just go with the alternate version… was held up by the lassies in the various countries I drove through… I’ll get me coat… :wink:

As some of you know I started working for Mammoet quite recently, and it’s good to be back in the game like! First trips I’ve done wasn’t about shifting heavy stuff or multi axled trailers, but enjoyed it nonetheless! Some pic’s to show you (Dean, you reading this mate :laughing: ) what I’ve been up to…

20180518_065433.jpg

20180515_112103.jpg

20180513_171747.jpg

20180510_191459.jpg

20180501_190400.jpg

jshepguis:
Couple more from my uncles album of his time in Saudi with Big Lift with the Mercedes Titan.

Ooh nice one mate, cheers for posting! :wink:

DEANB:

jsutherland:

pv83:

jsutherland:

Here you go Johnny. [emoji38] :wink:

I will have some other articles on Commanders somewhere,will see if i can find them.

What a guy you are Dean!! Excellent. Thanks for posting it.

jshepguis:

Great pictures jshepguis. Thanks for posting them.

Couple more from the Cristo collection

A Thermalite Commer squeezes by a Pickfords Scammell heading North on the A1 at Scotch Corner.

moomooland:
0A Thermalite Commer squeezes by a Pickfords Scammell heading North on the A1 at Scotch Corner.

Look how busy the A1 is at that time,a different world to how it is these days!

David

5thwheel:
Look how busy the A1 is at that time,a different world to how it is these days! David

Talking about the A1 David here’s a shot taken from the Scotch Corner Hotel looking South in the days before the junction was realigned,
Click on image to view full size

moomooland:

5thwheel:
Look how busy the A1 is at that time,a different world to how it is these days! David

Talking about the A1 David here’s a shot taken from the Scotch Corner Hotel looking South in the days before the junction was realigned,

Sooo nostalgic Moomooland,a great picture!

David

moomooland:

5thwheel:

What a great picture. So different to today.

Not sure if this is for real or been photo-shopped :confused:

moomooland:
0Not sure if this is for real or been photo-shopped :confused:

Wasn’t that the longest load in the UK? Might be wrong though as usual…

These are up for sale… anyone fancies a Oshkosh… :wink:

20180522_121837.jpg

20180522_121817.jpg

20180522_121541.jpg

20180522_121649.jpg

20180522_121743.jpg

20180522_121609.jpg

20180522_121622.jpg

Talking of things for sale Patrick,theres a tidy looking ex army recovery Crusader for sale on ebay,think
it was 6,500 ! :laughing: :wink: