"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Kings haulage - will be celebrating 50 years in business in 2019

kingshaulage.co.uk/

mpsenterprises.co.uk/index.p … vy-haulage

http://www.nationalroadplaning.co.uk/our-fleet/

Ovenden

Courtesy of Aaron Silcock: instagram.com/heavy_haulage/

Pickering on way to North Yorkshire Moors Railway.jpgHeading through Pickering with a locomotive destined for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Heading down Regent Road Salford in 1973.

moomooland:
0Heading through Pickering with a locomotive destined for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Cracking picture moomooland! Thanks.

jsutherland:
Cracking picture moomooland! Thanks.

Glad you like it here’s another from the archives…

A big thank you to all that have been “guarding the fort” during my absence, much appreciated lads! :wink:

And moomoomland… please keep on posting pic’s of those mighty Scammells, for Dean’s sake obviously… :laughing: I’ll get me coat…

pv83:
A big thank you to all that have been “guarding the fort” during my absence, much appreciated lads! :wink:

And moomoomland… please keep on posting pic’s of those mighty Scammells, for Dean’s sake obviously… [emoji38] I’ll get me coat…

Not too many Moomoomland, we don’t want Patrick having an overdose [emoji3], even if they do look rather splendid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jsutherland:

moomooland:
0This cracking shot of Pickfords moving a transformer was taken on the A580 East Lancashire Road near St Helens.
The cafe in the background is the long gone Carr Mill Cafe now empty and bricked up.

A great picture moomooland. Must have been quite a challenge back then with for example the brakes not being what they are today and a big danger of them overheating. I guess legislation was a tad more relaxed back then :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Cracking shot indeed!

About overheating the brakes, the average speed was quite a bit slower in them days, not sure if there was an extra lad involved who’s job it was to look after the brakes of the trailer whilst being en route?

DIG:
Patrick Johnny Deano Moomooland and Oily and anyone I have missed where do they all come from,I .m with Patrick though the older units do attract me more these days probably as I remember before heading for a warmer climate working on Scammels and driving AEC Matador wreckers and seeing iconic Diamond Ts bopping around how its changed anyhow I wish to tap your collective knowledge and tell me what those small round tanks/barrels are used for on the top of this lorry storage pack/stack.Seems a shame when you add a third axle you have to build a skyscraper behind the cab to accomodate the fuel tanks.
If that was here in Oz tanks that size are usually filled with amber fluid.
Cheers Dig

Ey up DIG, you’re alright?

Aye, those are air vessels on top, combined with two tanks for diesel (must be about 1000L combined I reckon) and one for ad-blue, on the left there’s a storage locker for tools, or ratchets, or other stuff (No, not for crates with amber fluid…). Problem with those short chassis’s is that due to legislation the wheelbase needs to be a short as possible, so that means one has to be creative to find a spot where to put all the extra gear. I must admit, it does look rather good like that, very neat and tidy.

jsutherland:
Oshkosh is a relatively new manufacturer for me - sorry for my ignorance again. I believe their trucking focus is, among others, is specialty trucks, military vehicles, truck bodies, airport fire apparatus and access equipment.

Courtesy of martinuz41: instagram.com/martinuz41/

The armed forces uses those black ones Johnny, seen them a lot when I shifted tanks for them between their barracks in Germany, quite impressive to say the least, I believe they’re powered by either ■■■■■■■ or CAT engines. But having that said… who remembers the Scammell Commanders they had back in the day…? Now that was some beast indeed :wink:

oiltreader:
working rather hard:open_mouth: :astonished: :laughing:
A few oldies.
Oily

Cheers Oily… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jsutherland:

DEANB:
Hills heavy haulage.
Click on pages twice.

Great article Dean!!

Aye, nice one Dean, cheers!

Bit of a one off though, never seen or heard of a tractor unit being fitted with hydraulic suspension before, it’s quite common on trailers, especially on the modular stuff, ground clearance is better and you can adjust each side separately… it’s just bit more of a bumpy ride when empty…
Another thing that striked me as odd in the article is that they used PTO’s to power the hydraulics of the trailer necks and such, instead of using a donkey engine…
What happened to Hill’s anyway? Were they taken over or did they just seized trading?

jsutherland:
I visited the Sinsheim technical Museum (Germany) yesterday and saw the following wagon - the Kaelble KDV 631. Thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Impressive piece of kit eh! Cheers for posting mate! Is it a 6x6?

From the Cristo collection…

pv83:

Great pictures Patrick. Welcome back. I’m intrigued to know what the long poles in the first picture are being used for.

jsutherland:

pv83:

Great pictures Patrick. Welcome back. I’m intrigued to know what the long poles in the first picture are being used for.

Lifting the overhead wires up perhaps?

pv83:

jsutherland:
Oshkosh is a relatively new manufacturer for me - sorry for my ignorance again. I believe their trucking focus is, among others, is specialty trucks, military vehicles, truck bodies, airport fire apparatus and access equipment.

The armed forces uses those black ones Johnny, seen them a lot when I shifted tanks for them between their camps in Germany, quite impressive to say the least, I believe they’re powered by either ■■■■■■■ or CAT engines. But having that said… who remembers the Scammell Commanders they had back in the day…? Now that was some beast indeed :wink:

From a fellow flickrite today.
Oily

Heavy Haul Richard 41450725494_a6d956688e_rs k.jpg

oiltreader:

pv83:

jsutherland:

The armed forces uses those black ones Johnny, seen them a lot when I shifted tanks for them between their camps in Germany, quite impressive to say the least, I believe they’re powered by either ■■■■■■■ or CAT engines. But having that said… who remembers the Scammell Commanders they had back in the day…? Now that was some beast indeed :wink:

From a fellow flickrite today.
Oily

Nice one Oily!

pete smith:

jsutherland:

pv83:

Lifting the overhead wires up perhaps?

10 points for Mr. Smith! :laughing: