"Heavy Haulage through the years"

DEANB:

pv83:
Another example of “out of the box thinking”… :wink:

Certainly unusual Patrick did they sell many of them do you know ■■?

Pickfords.

Far as I know it’s just the one Dean… maybe for the better as well eh :wink:

DIG:

peggydeckboy:
Hello to you all,been very interested in all the heavy haulage photos ,you all seem to be very knowledgeable ,however i did read on page 26 DIGi assume is aussie by the name he asked ,whats wrong with a picture Dean posted of a Faun heavy,as enquires and a bit of knowledge it appears that the engine fan on the ■■■■■■■■ K19would appear that the fan is mounted wrong!the fans were gear driven, and rotated the opposite way…
ill get my coat then…no one answered .

Well done PDB I was beginning to think all you poms didn’t know that ,I owned one of these engines in a KW and when it developed a cooling problem the workshop who were investigating it told me the fan is mounted backwards and thats the problem so I had to ask them to see which way it was turning,there was an embarrassed silence,Its the only engine I know fitted into trucks that the fan rotates the opposite way to the crankshaft.
Once again well spotted peggydeckboy.
Cheers Dig

Bugger… completely missed that PDB and DIG… so if there’s one who should get his coat, it’s me then eh… :blush:
Bit odd though, that those fan’s were mounted like that, never heard of such thing before…

Stateside.
Oily

Heavy Haul TRUCKPR cc by nc nd 2.0 3660917056_5fce2e7231 truckpr _o.jpg

One more from Israel. This was an Israeli Navy landing craft which was cut into three sections so that it could be transported from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea. Upon arrival they welded the three sections back together and into the water it went. Tractor is the prototype IDF Contractor which was followed by many more, replacing the hopelessly inadequate Diamond T 980 the IDF had before. Pics from the Israel Sun archives at Harvard U.

oiltreader:
Stateside.
Oily

Cheers Oily!

Leyland Ash:
One more from Israel. This was an Israeli Navy landing craft which was cut into three sections so that it could be transported from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea. Upon arrival they welded the three sections back together and into the water it went. Tractor is the prototype IDF Contractor which was followed by many more, replacing the hopelessly inadequate Diamond T 980 the IDF had before. Pics from the Israel Sun archives at Harvard U.

Very interesting indeed, cheers for posting Leyland Ash :wink:

Any idea what make the trailer is? Looks purpose build with such a wide loading bed.

pv83:

Lawrence Dunbar:

H143500:
In the pictures involving Wynns I notice they are painted for me unusually in black, is there a reason for this?

Well all my years starting in 1956 As a long distance Driver I can never recall Wynns Having this awfull black livery, I used to stay in Mrs Smiths Digs on Hyde Rd, Manchester in the 50s, & A lot of Wynns Lads used these Digs too, Their Livery was Red, My old late Grandad was a long distance man in the Steam Traction days, He new the Wynns familey way back in the 20s, Oh dear Ive just reminded myself that Im getting [zb] older by the minute never mind the day, So its down to the cellar & crack a bottle of single Malt open , Rock on old Larry if I may say so, Hic Hic, , But as long as I wake up on the 24th, I will be ready for another Day in life :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . When one gets old I would say just chill out a bit before you end up a stiff, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

1956■■? Blimey mate, not even the pyramids are that old :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Right, I’ll get me coat…

Coming back to the question about the black livery, it’s indeed highly unusual, but Pete Smith reckoned the Scammell’s were ex-Wrekin Roadways…?

Thanks again.

pv83:
Very interesting indeed, cheers for posting Leyland Ash :wink:

Any idea what make the trailer is? Looks purpose build with such a wide loading bed.

At first I thought this was a conscripted civilian low loader, but the more I’m looking at it I think it’s also a prototype, namely for the standard IDF low loader, made locally by Netzer Sireni. The above as well as the Contractor were all a part of the plan to replace the IDF’s old Sherman, Centurion and M47/48 tanks with the Chieftain. After the 1967 war however the UK government stupidly preferred to succumb to Arab pressure and cancelled the deal. Had it gone through, the IDF would have ultimately ordered thousands of tanks and most likely replaced the Chieftain - when the time came - with the Challenger. Work out how much money UK firms lost. The joke was that in the end relatively very few Chieftains were sold to the Arabs. As a result of not being to obtain the Chieftains, the Israelis had no choice but to develop their own MBT - the Merkava, and will most likely never buy any tanks abroad. However, the Contractor + trailer was not a part of the embargo and became the IDF’s standard tank transporter until replaced by Mack’s DM800.

pv83:
Impressive Econofreight wagon, but I find the rear of the trailer the most intriguing part… Who knows more about it?

The trailer might be this Wynns King trailer I photographed in the late seventies on the back of a Scammell Crusader.

img460B.jpg

Pointer’s motor must have been going at a fair old speed to do this much damage to the railway bridge !! :open_mouth:

7b65d353b2c4a945f7c5fdcea50db8d3.jpg
This looks a rum beast anybody know about it?

pv83:
Danne might know a bit more about this wagon :wink:

Yes if do! Infact i know the man who built that one and one more just like that. It was the last two 3-series ever built. And im working with him today :smiley: he just have one truck these days a Volvo 750 4axl and a swedish made PK trailer also 4 axl. He is a really really good bloke and a werry good friend :smiley:

Danne

pv83:

DIG:

peggydeckboy:
Hello to you all,been very interested in all the heavy haulage photos ,you all seem to be very knowledgeable ,however i did read on page 26 DIGi assume is aussie by the name he asked ,whats wrong with a picture Dean posted of a Faun heavy,as enquires and a bit of knowledge it appears that the engine fan on the ■■■■■■■■ K19would appear that the fan is mounted wrong!the fans were gear driven, and rotated the opposite way…
ill get my coat then…no one answered .

Well done PDB I was beginning to think all you poms didn’t know that ,I owned one of these engines in a KW and when it developed a cooling problem the workshop who were investigating it told me the fan is mounted backwards and thats the problem so I had to ask them to see which way it was turning,there was an embarrassed silence,Its the only engine I know fitted into trucks that the fan rotates the opposite way to the crankshaft.
Once again well spotted peggydeckboy.
Cheers Dig

Bugger… completely missed that PDB and DIG… so if there’s one who should get his coat, it’s me then eh… :blush:
Bit odd though, that those fan’s were mounted like that, never heard of such thing before…

Never mind Patrick the pics you keep coming up with gives you an automatic pass LOL

Dig

Dirty Dan:

pv83:
Danne might know a bit more about this wagon :wink:

Yes if do! Infact i know the man who built that one and one more just like that. It was the last two 3-series ever built. And im working with him today :smiley: he just have one truck these days a Volvo 750 4axl and a swedish made PK trailer also 4 axl. He is a really really good bloke and a werry good friend :smiley:

Danne

Hey Danne
Can you not get your friend interested in this forum?
Cheers
Johnny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DEANB:
Pointer’s motor must have been going at a fair old speed to do this much damage to the railway bridge !! :open_mouth:

Bet that rattled his teeth Dean

Courtesy of Len Rogers, posted before but not on this thread.
Oily

oiltreader:
Courtesy of Len Rogers, posted before but not on this thread.
Oily

Nice one oiltrader!! Some nice pictures there.

Great stuff there Oily, These shots of the HH Industry is tops, My late Grandad was a real heavy haulage man, He was a Traction Engine Driver, Then a Scammell driver in the 40s/50s Era, Tank you for posting these great shots, Regards Larry.

coomsey:

DEANB:

Bet that rattled his teeth Dean

Yes “coomsey” he must have been going at a fair speed to have caused that damage !! :wink:

A mixed selection.

hh308.jpg

hh311.jpg