"Heavy Haulage through the years"

20229227_1916021021951578_6834593610430635966_n.jpg

21761493_369914050107420_1332389022686514978_n.jpg

21617874_810679505723630_7431298162530667821_n.jpg

Anyone on here ever used this?

Wacky trailer solutions…

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Tractor units are usually double- drive or tri-drive and low-loaders start at two axles and you can add axles to suit the load through jeeps and boosters. Here is a guide to the various weights allowed. [Kilograms]
[/quote]
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Cheers ChrisArbon! Does the weigth limit vary in different counties?
[/quote]
It varies from Province to Province in Canada and from State to State in the US. That page of figures is for Alberta and they all have similar tables for drivers to work out what they need for where they are going. Alberta is probably the most liberal place when it comes to axle-weights and issuing permits for oversize loads. Ontario is the worst. I have a mate who recently waited 42 hours for an over-width permit to move a tractor from Ontario to Manitoba. The only things sticking-out were the rear axles that take an extra pair of wheels; he was very tempted to hacksaw them off.

In the pictures involving Wynns I notice they are painted for me unusually in black, is there a reason for this?

H143500:
In the pictures involving Wynns I notice they are painted for me unusually in black, is there a reason for this?

Well all my years starting in 1956 As a long distance Driver I can never recall Wynns Having this awfull black livery, I used to stay in Mrs Smiths Digs on Hyde Rd, Manchester in the 50s, & A lot of Wynns Lads used these Digs too, Their Livery was Red, My old late Grandad was a long distance man in the Steam Traction days, He new the Wynns familey way back in the 20s, Oh dear Ive just reminded myself that Im getting ■■■■■■■ older by the minute never mind the day, So its down to the cellar & crack a bottle of single Malt open , Rock on old Larry if I may say so, Hic Hic, , But as long as I wake up on the 24th, I will be ready for another Day in life :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . When one gets old I would say just chill out a bit before you end up a stiff, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Thanks Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

H143500:

Well all my years starting in 1956 As a long distance Driver I can never recall Wynns Having this awfull black livery, I used to stay in Mrs Smiths Digs on Hyde Rd, Manchester in the 50s, & A lot of Wynns Lads used these Digs too, Their Livery was Red, My old late Grandad was a long distance man in the Steam Traction days, He new the Wynns familey way back in the 20s, Oh dear Ive just reminded myself that Im getting [zb] older by the minute never mind the day, So its down to the cellar & crack a bottle of single Malt open , Rock on old Larry if I may say so, Hic Hic, , But as long as I wake up on the 24th, I will be ready for another Day in life :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . When one gets old I would say just chill out a bit before you end up a stiff, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

1956■■? Blimey mate, not even the pyramids are that old :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Right, I’ll get me coat…

Coming back to the question about the black livery, it’s indeed highly unusual, but Pete Smith reckoned the Scammell’s were ex-Wrekin Roadways…?

Danne might know a bit more about this wagon :wink:

Impressive Econofreight wagon, but I find the rear of the trailer the most intriguing part… Who knows more about it?

The following pic’s are a good example of what nowadays managers would name “out of the box thinking”…

In order to get the running height as low as possible with a crane boom hanging over the roof, some opted for mounting the cab as low as possible, positioning it in front of the steering axle instead of on top. Driving would be like driving a coach I reckon, but one had to keep an eye out at the boom sticking out whilst negotiating tight corners…

12243152_1095291600483172_2664798751540012645_n.jpg

Another example of “out of the box thinking”… :wink:

pv83:

Why use a ‘Chelsea tractor’ to pick your kids up from primary school when a nice sensible family estate will do? Now this one’d put a few noses out of joint! lol Robert

pv83:

Certainly unusual Patrick did they sell many of them do you know ■■?

Pickfords.

.Scammell Junior Constructor 6x4 Heavy Haulage Ballast Diesel Road Locomotives,Scammell 100-Ton Drawbar Trailer,GWR Collett Castle Class D 7P 4-6-0  Steam Railway Locomotive,GWR,No.4073,CAERPHILLY CASTLE.Swindon,1923..jpg

Hello to you all,been very interested in all the heavy haulage photos ,you all seem to be very knowledgeable ,however i did read on page 26 DIGi assume is aussie by the name he asked ,whats wrong with a picture Dean posted of a Faun heavy,as enquires and a bit of knowledge it appears that the engine fan on the ■■■■■■■■ K19would appear that the fan is mounted wrong!the fans were gear driven, and rotated the opposite way…
ill get my coat then…no one answered .

peggydeckboy:
Hello to you all,been very interested in all the heavy haulage photos ,you all seem to be very knowledgeable ,however i did read on page 26 DIGi assume is aussie by the name he asked ,whats wrong with a picture Dean posted of a Faun heavy,as enquires and a bit of knowledge it appears that the engine fan on the ■■■■■■■■ K19would appear that the fan is mounted wrong!the fans were gear driven, and rotated the opposite way…
ill get my coat then…no one answered .

Well done PDB I was beginning to think all you poms didn’t know that ,I owned one of these engines in a KW and when it developed a cooling problem the workshop who were investigating it told me the fan is mounted backwards and thats the problem so I had to ask them to see which way it was turning,there was an embarrassed silence,Its the only engine I know fitted into trucks that the fan rotates the opposite way to the crankshaft.
Once again well spotted peggydeckboy.
Cheers Dig

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

Why use a ‘Chelsea tractor’ to pick your kids up from primary school when a nice sensible family estate will do? Now this one’d put a few noses out of joint! lol Robert

If you haven’t seen it, you wouldn’t believe it :laughing: :laughing: