"Heavy Haulage through the years"

No California for me, but I’ve been there loads of times, it’s a royal PITA to haul oversize there, although I like going there, it’s a tough route to get there and fuel is really expensive too, so it does me a favour really.

A few big Williemes…

Spardo:
An Indonesian fishing boat? Do they know where they are going or do I have to bring my sextant? :astonished:

Well used to coughing, living with a wife who shares all her smoke with me, giving up smoking 50 years ago has made no difference to my lungs. :imp:

And the dole eh? They weren’t giving out dole to a Pommie swagman in 1969, place is obviously on the up and up. :smiley:

As to Patrick, best not risk it, a bit too young and delicate for the bulldust I reckon. :neutral_face:

Excellent Spardo and Dig!!

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

Spardo:
An Indonesian fishing boat? Do they know where they are going or do I have to bring my sextant? :astonished:

Well used to coughing, living with a wife who shares all her smoke with me, giving up smoking 50 years ago has made no difference to my lungs. :imp:

And the dole eh? They weren’t giving out dole to a Pommie swagman in 1969, place is obviously on the up and up. :smiley:

As to Patrick, best not risk it, a bit too young and delicate for the bulldust I reckon. :neutral_face:

Excellent Spardo and Dig!!

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Honestly… I turn my back on you lot for just a moment… and this is what happens… :unamused: :laughing:

Fergie47:
A few big Williemes…

Cheers Senior, the two pictured in the last shot were in the fleet of ZTE from Katowice, Poland, would be interesting to know what happened to those big old lumps…I

rsg1234567:

Froggy55:
Thanks! I went through it again with the same interest! But, one again, why do the Yankees stick to their ridiculously small cabs?

Having driven both euro/ aero/ traditional, I take a trad Pete every time as a solo driver not so much as a team though

Similar reasons as before but also

• significantly more stable in windy weather

• virtually no cab roll no matter how hard you hit the the go pedal around bends…

• superior/ better ride over rough roads and also in general mainly due to the set forward axle…I always thought Volvo vn670’ s were way overated btw with new driver/ beginners set back axle position…euro canoes can’t match them eithet

• better central view of road ahead…think tesla semi

• easier to clear passenger side window if required,

• reach glove box easy

• stored my bag on the passenger seat, or if with female company other things ahem

• weight control, if I started getting fat I couldnt get into the sleeper lol

• quicker to heat/ cool with sleeper curtain drawn

• makes you reverse like a pro, not with your head out the window like dummy who passed the test yesterday

• quicker to clean the full windscreen

• most important looks/ felt like driving a piece of Americana heritage which I enjoyed every time I drove it, job sait’s faction is very important don’t underestimate it…

• ticks the schoolboy dream of driving a truck from convoy and other period films…don’t underestimate that either

• not many UK guys will ever get the chance to drive one, which also means they often slag them off accordingly

Perhaps a few more things too but fed up of typing now lol

Wasn’t safety another reason? When in a full on collision, the changes of walking away are a bit better?

Good afternoon Fergie and pv83,

I wonder if any of the Willemes are up for sale/restoration - having tried (and failed)0 to find a decent Tractomas, perhaps I should restore a Willeme!!

Not a heavy "heavy " but bull dust talk prompts me to post it. At Port Hedland your side of OZ DIG, looks like it’s done a few miles on the dirt.
Oily

OZ Port Hedland Michael Theis cc by nd 2.0 7744446050_f7f8979527_mt o.jpg

pv83:
“DEANB”“newmercman” Heres a clipping from your part of the world. :wink:

883T Dean■■? So… why didn’t they used one Scammell Contractor? :laughing: :laughing:

Cant beat a mighty Contractor Patrick ! :smiley: :wink:

pv83:

DEANB:
Scania for Johnny from 1988. :smiley:

Nice article Dean, cheers. Don’t spoil the man though :unamused: :wink:

Interesting to read that they’d fitted a 15 speed Fuller 'box… I wonder who else swapped the original "box for a Fuller/Eaton/Allison option.

Ralph Davies tried to have one put in a new 142 back in 1987,but Scania would not do it even though they fitted them in their Australian models.
I have another article about one being fitted in a 142 or 143 but cant find it at the moment. :unamused: :wink:

rdavies gearbox.PNG

oiltreader:
Not a heavy "heavy " but bull dust talk prompts me to post it. At Port Hedland your side of OZ DIG, looks like it’s done a few miles on the dirt.
Oily

Thanks Oily ,This truck is triple rated and the company is still operating on supply to mines in the Pilbara so dirt roads go with the job.

Dig

DIG:

oiltreader:
Oily

Thanks Oily ,This truck is triple rated and the company is still operating on supply to mines in the Pilbara so dirt roads go with the job.

Dig

For a minute I thought you meant all that bull crap talk Oily… :blush: I’ll get me coat…

From the archives… anyone recognise the Foden?

DEANB:

pv83:

DEANB:

Interesting to read that they’d fitted a 15 speed Fuller 'box… I wonder who else swapped the original "box for a Fuller/Eaton/Allison option.

Ralph Davies tried to have one put in a new 142 back in 1987,but Scania would not do it even though they fitted them in their Australian models.
I have another article about one being fitted in a 142 or 143 but cant find it at the moment. :unamused: :wink:

That doesn’t make sense then, does it? If it wasn’t a problem in Australia, why should it be a problem in Europe? Did Davies fitted one himself in the end?

I know a bloke that works for Jan de Rijk on the aerospace division, he worked for Davies in the early 90s, next time I meet him, I’ll ask if he remembers it.

DEANB:

pv83:
“DEANB”“newmercman” Heres a clipping from your part of the world. :wink:

883T Dean■■? So… why didn’t they used one Scammell Contractor? :laughing: :laughing:

Cant beat a mighty Contractor Patrick ! :smiley: :wink:

That’s all you need in life Dean :laughing:

EDTRUCK:

I wonder if any of the Willemes are up for sale/restoration - having tried (and failed)0 to find a decent Tractomas, perhaps I should restore a Willeme!!

Pfhoe, good luck on your new quest! Those Willemes’ are even rarer to find than a Tractomas!

Was in a shipyard on Monday and saw this Kamag carrier, it was about to tip that lump of steel…

pv83:

DEANB:

pv83:

DEANB:

That doesn’t make sense then, does it? If it wasn’t a problem in Australia, why should it be a problem in Europe? Did Davies fitted one himself in the end?

I know a bloke that works for Jan de Rijk on the aerospace division, he worked for Davies in the early 90s, next time I meet him, I’ll ask if he remembers it.

No he never fitted one Patrick. :wink: The one and only “Pete Foy” ,what a character !!! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Without doubt one of the funniest blokes you could meet.Your sides used to hurt in the end where you laughed so much.

He was working for Ralph back in the 80s chap driving a 141,then the 142 in the pic below and then a 143 and later a FH16.
Last had a beer with him about 3 yrs ago. :wink:

pv83:

EDTRUCK:

Pfhoe, good luck on your new quest! Those Willemes’ are even rarer to find than a Tractomas!

I wonder how many of the Tractomas were actually built,anyone know ? :unamused:

Here’s a French brochure.

Click on pages twice.

hh tractomas3.jpg

Fergie47:
A few big Williemes…

A very imposing looking truck Fergie 47.

Dig