"Heavy Haulage through the years"

pv83:
Was in a shipyard on Monday and saw this Kamag carrier, it was about to tip that lump of steel…

Complete with rear view mirrors, quite a machine Patrick.

Dig

pv83:

DEANB:

pv83:

DEANB:
Scania for Johnny from 1988. :smiley:

Nice article Dean, cheers. Don’t spoil the man though :unamused: :wink:

Interesting to read that they’d fitted a 15 speed Fuller 'box… I wonder who else swapped the original "box for a Fuller/Eaton/Allison option.

Ralph Davies tried to have one put in a new 142 back in 1987,but Scania would not do it even though they fitted them in their Australian models.
I have another article about one being fitted in a 142 or 143 but cant find it at the moment. :unamused: :wink:

That doesn’t make sense then, does it? If it wasn’t a problem in Australia, why should it be a problem in Europe? Did Davies fitted one himself in the end?

I know a bloke that works for Jan de Rijk on the aerospace division, he worked for Davies in the early 90s, next time I meet him, I’ll ask if he remembers it.

I recall a few bonneted units as well as forward control having Spicer 16 speed boxes fitted here in Perth.

Dig

pv83:

DIG:

oiltreader:
Not a heavy "heavy " but bull dust talk prompts me to post it. At Port Hedland your side of OZ DIG, looks like it’s done a few miles on the dirt.
Oily

Thanks Oily ,This truck is triple rated and the company is still operating on supply to mines in the Pilbara so dirt roads go with the job.

Dig

For a minute I thought you meant all that bull crap talk Oily… :blush: I’ll get me coat…

Not always Bull dust Patrick,can you swim ? Hard hat. :wink: :wink:

Dig

Same track/road 5 years apart.

Switzerland.
Oily

STGO Kecko cc by 2.0 14048179815_cbf8a7c53c_kecko.jpg

STGO Kecko cc by 2.0 41599099170_1bb3b03fe8_kecko.jpg

DIG:

pv83:
Was in a shipyard on Monday and saw this Kamag carrier, it was about to tip that lump of steel…

Complete with rear view mirrors, quite a machine Patrick.

Dig

Indeed and capable of lifting quite some weight! Wouldn’t tramp in it though… ahum… coat…

DIG:

pv83:

DIG:

oiltreader:
Not a heavy "heavy " but bull dust talk prompts me to post it. At Port Hedland your side of OZ DIG, looks like it’s done a few miles on the dirt.
Oily

Thanks Oily ,This truck is triple rated and the company is still operating on supply to mines in the Pilbara so dirt roads go with the job.

Dig

For a minute I thought you meant all that bull crap talk Oily… :blush: I’ll get me coat…

Not always Bull dust Patrick,can you swim ? Hard hat. :wink: :wink:

Dig

Same track/road 5 years apart.

Why did you insist on going through the canals DIG? Surely they’ve got roads in Australia…? … hard hat…

p.s. Is that a KW bonnet?

DEANB:

pv83:

EDTRUCK:
Good afternoon Fergie and pv83,

I wonder if any of the Willemes are up for sale/restoration - having tried (and failed)0 to find a decent Tractomas, perhaps I should restore a Willeme!!

Pfhoe, good luck on your new quest! Those Willemes’ are even rarer to find than a Tractomas!

I wonder how many of the Tractomas were actually built,anyone know ? :unamused:

Here’s a French brochure.

Click on pages twice.

Nice one Dean, cheers!

How many were built…? A question Nicolas themselves can’t give an answer to… they think it’s somewhere between 70 and 90…

oiltreader:
Switzerland.
Oily

Cheers Oily, Friderici certainly got some nice kit in their fleet :wink:

Cheers for the info regarding the Ralph Davies Scanny Dean… no doubt a certain Herr Sutherland is going to be chuffed with that pic you’ve included… :unamused: :wink:

It was Birds that put an Eaton Fuller in a 142, but it was a twin splitter, not a 13spd. A few of the middle east lads did 13spd conversions on Scanias and I believe that Karl Skilton’s Astran liveried 143 is undergoing such a conversion now in the hands of Nick Bull.

newmercman:
It was Birds that put an Eaton Fuller in a 142, but it was a twin splitter, not a 13spd. A few of the middle east lads did 13spd conversions on Scanias and I believe that Karl Skilton’s Astran liveried 143 is undergoing such a conversion now in the hands of Nick Bull.

I still wonder why they undertook such a conversion, was it to get the best out of the engine? Or was the original 'box considered the weakest link?

I sometimes wished I had a 16 speed 'box in the Scanny I drove, it really lacked a gear “inbetween” sort of when I was pulling heavy stuff on the national roads in France. The heavier Scania’s in the fleet at the time (plated for 250t) had a torque converter and were fitted with a ZF 16 speed though.

The cook excelled herself this morning and snapped this going through the village without me.
Dig

DIG:
The cook excelled herself this morning and snapped this going through the village without me.
Dig

You have trained the “Cook” well Dig, good pic chap. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

newmercman:

Thats the one i could not remember who did it ! :smiley: :wink:

Click on pages twice.

DIG:
Dig

Make sure to thank the Cook on behalf of the team DIG :wink:
Is that a wagon from that firm that was on the telly?

DEANB:

newmercman:

Thats the one i could not remember who did it ! :smiley: :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Cheers Dean and NMM for the info :wink:

Was going through a old copy of “Truck” when I saw this advert… dated April 1977… :wink:

[/quote]
Yes Patrick a former Heavy Haul truck with a million dollar paint job unfortunately was sold off in the receivers sales,I.m not sure if its now West Aus based and the other photos are also W model Kenworths the red one I owned and the other other I drove during the late 70s in the cattle industry.

Dig

DIG:

Yes Patrick a former Heavy Haul truck with a million dollar paint job unfortunately was sold off in the receivers sales,I.m not sure if its now West Aus based and the other photos are also W model Kenworths the red one I owned and the other other I drove during the late 70s in the cattle industry.

Dig

This Kenworth may bring back some memories Dig. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

DIG:

Dig
[/quote]
A million dollar paint job■■? What’s wrong with painting it yourself in a dusty shed :unamused: