"Heavy Haulage through the years"

This is from before they became a big name regarding heavy haulage I presume…?

pv83:

5thwheel:

pv83:
Some HTT’s to start the day with, original design included :wink: (nmp)

Carrying a a tracked vehicle “side saddle” was a definite no no when I was on heavy haulage “back in the day”!

David

Think of all the time you win when carry it around like that, sod the extra width, d’ya know what I mean :wink:

I always thought that cant do the equipment any good loading so much weight on the side. This one is 125 tons being
loaded from one side. :open_mouth:

hh 125 tons.PNG

Econofreight…as most of us remember them (nmp) :wink: ?

pv83:
Did they came from that Routiers in Chatenoy David :wink: ?

This is a example of a CAT3 transport, which basically means that everything over 2500x400x450 (metres) 70t is being considered 3CAT, the two pilots on the bikes are mandatory if the transport exceeds a width of 5m if I remember correctly, used to be the gendarmes doing that, but it’s been privatised a couple of years ago.
I remember doing such a transport accompanied by the gendarmes, right at the beginning of my heavy haulage career, was quite a eye opener so to speak, I had to pay lunch for them (which was normal, all paid for by the gaffers at HQ) and the thing that amazed me most was that they were quite “thirsty” and that a certain beverage with a red colour cought their eye… all at noon, and afterwards they got back in the saddle to ■■■■■■ me! Different times eh… :unamused:

Haven’t seen a Scanny in the Capelle fleet for some time, if there ever was one, as they only seem to buy Volvo and MAN?

No he was north of there heading south, so could have been parking up there for the night, or even the new one with even more space at Vierzon. it was about mid afternoon I think, I was heading for the routier ‘Banc de Pierre’ just north of Soissons for the night, then on for a morning delivery and collection near Douai. You’re right about Capelle’s though, I remember thinking at the time it looked a bit strange but couldn’t think what it was till I got home and downloaded the video and snapshot.

As I have mentioned Banc de Pierre, which is on the old national route between Soissons and St. Quentin, I stopped there only once before a year or 3 back when I had a regular run from Bordeaux with Galgos (Spanish Greyhounds) but it was a Saturday pm tip and was more or less out of hours so stopped there for the night. I was the only diner in and got, to my mind, properly ripped off, €23, and vowed never to stay there again. But this time I had a thought and decided, as that last time was a Saturday evening it was pobably just ‘tourist rates’, so decided to give them another chance. Glad I did, although there was far too much to eat and the dog got a decent half a steak but the cost was just right, about €17 including a couple of beers. A proper international clientele too 1 Anglais (me), 2 Dutchmen, 2 Frenchmen and a German, and the patronne insists on knowing everyone’s name, and remembers and uses it thoughout. Very friendly. :smiley:

Space enough for exceptionnel too, though if you are coming from the north you may have to reverse in. Easy to find, it is next to double bridges over the canal, only one of which is in use.

DEANB:

pv83:

5thwheel:

pv83:

Carrying a a tracked vehicle “side saddle” was a definite no no when I was on heavy haulage “back in the day”!

David

Think of all the time you win when carry it around like that, sod the extra width, d’ya know what I mean :wink:

I always thought that cant do the equipment any good loading so much weight on the side. This one is 125 tons being

Is that a Russian reg. on the trailer? Clearly they do things a bit differently there… :laughing:

DEANB:

pv83:

5thwheel:

pv83:

David

You could be right Dean, but thinking about it, he is taking some of the weight off with his bucket on the ground the far side. Till he gets to the ‘tipping point’, then it evens out across the trailer.

I do remember seeing a You Tube video a long time ago where that operation was done on a slight slope. The driver was out of his cab and once the machine was fully on board, the truck started to roll backwards. He must have fogotten the handbrake, the slope too slight to start it off, then the weight of the machine holding it down, till the weight was fully on board, and then it went. Driver couldn’t get back in and the whole lot jack-knifed at the bottom throwing the machine off. No body hurt but I could imagine the ‘hello boss’ phone call which followed. :laughing:

Spardo:

pv83:
Did they came from that Routiers in Chatenoy David :wink: ?

This is a example of a CAT3 transport, which basically means that everything over 2500x400x450 (metres) 70t is being considered 3CAT, the two pilots on the bikes are mandatory if the transport exceeds a width of 5m if I remember correctly, used to be the gendarmes doing that, but it’s been privatised a couple of years ago.
I remember doing such a transport accompanied by the gendarmes, right at the beginning of my heavy haulage career, was quite a eye opener so to speak, I had to pay lunch for them (which was normal, all paid for by the gaffers at HQ) and the thing that amazed me most was that they were quite “thirsty” and that a certain beverage with a red colour cought their eye… all at noon, and afterwards they got back in the saddle to ■■■■■■ me! Different times eh… :unamused:

Haven’t seen a Scanny in the Capelle fleet for some time, if there ever was one, as they only seem to buy Volvo and MAN?

No he was north of there heading south, so could have been parking up there for the night, or even the new one with even more space at Vierzon. it was about mid afternoon I think, I was heading for the routier ‘Banc de Pierre’ just north of Soissons for the night, then on for a morning delivery and collection near Douai. You’re right about Capelle’s though, I remember thinking at the time it looked a bit strange but couldn’t think what it was till I got home and downloaded the video and snapshot.

As I have mentioned Banc de Pierre, which is on the old national route between Soissons and St. Quentin, I stopped there only once before a year or 3 back when I had a regular run from Bordeaux with Galgos (Spanish Greyhounds) but it was a Saturday pm tip and was more or less out of hours so stopped there for the night. I was the only diner in and got, to my mind, properly ripped off, €23, and vowed never to stay there again. But this time I had a thought and decided, as that last time was a Saturday evening it was pobably just ‘tourist rates’, so decided to give them another chance. Glad I did, although there was far too much to eat and the dog got a decent half a steak but the cost was just right, about €17 including a couple of beers. A proper international clientele too 1 Anglais (me), 2 Dutchmen, 2 Frenchmen and a German, and the patronne insists on knowing everyone’s name, and remembers and uses it thoughout. Very friendly. :smiley:

Space enough for exceptionnel too, though if you are coming from the north you may have to reverse in. Easy to find, it is next to double bridges over the canal, only one of which is in use.

I might give that one a try David, as I’ve never been there, nor did I ever used that particular stretch of road, most of the time I came down from Laon using the N2, and always stopped at Laffaux, such a nice place to stop… and those deserts, well, it would be rude to have just the one desert :wink: . There’s another one at the next junction, Margival, which isn’t bad either.

pv83:

That may have been from ‘Tarmac’ days, though I can’t see the ‘brick wall’ logo on the door. They used to be a dirty brown colour I think, before changing to blue. Perhaps one of the tipper men will know more.

Some more…(NMP)

Spardo:

pv83:

That may have been from ‘Tarmac’ days, though I can’t see the ‘brick wall’ logo on the door. They used to be a dirty brown colour I think, before changing to blue. Perhaps one of the tipper men will know more.

Brown? A bit like McKelvie’s had?

pv83:
I might give that one a try David, as I’ve never been there, nor did I ever used that particular stretch of road, most of the time I came down from Laon using the N2, and always stopped at Laffaux, such a nice place to stop… and those deserts, well, it would be rude to have just the one desert :wink: . There’s another one at the next junction, Margival, which isn’t bad either.

Is Laffaux the one with the monument alongside? I used to stop there regularly in the days before they changed the road. The last time was in the middle of all the works and the long lorry park alongside the N2 was taken over. Looking at it from the air now it appears to be a whole new kettle of fish. Will have a look next time I am that way. The one at Margival I haven’t used but there doesn’t seem to be so much room there. Bit of thread drift, though I suppose as we are referring to space for exceptionnels we might get away with it. :wink: :laughing:

pv83:

Buzzer:
One from way back, Buzzer

Such a beauty, on behalf of Dean, cheers for the pic mate :wink:

Indeed always nice to see a pic of Wrekin’s Constructor. :wink:

Spardo:

pv83:

Is Laffaux the one with the monument alongside? I used to stop there regularly in the days before they changed the road. The last time was in the middle of all the works and the long lorry park alongside the N2 was taken over. Looking at it from the air now it appears to be a whole new kettle of fish. Will have a look next time I am that way. The one at Margival I haven’t used but there doesn’t seem to be so much room there. Bit of thread drift, though I suppose as we are referring to space for exceptionnels we might get away with it. :wink: :laughing:

That’s the one mate, on top of that hill sort of. Parking has changed indeed, it’s all tarmac now, although not on his premises, the owner still comes out and guides you in whilst reversing. Only downside is that the corners are a bit tight, with a long load it’s bit of a challenge…

No worries pal, what’s the most important thing one could possibly discuss about France and heavy haulage? Right, the places to stop for the night :laughing:

Nice pics of Econofreight Patrick. I always knew you were a Volvo fan. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Heres a bit more on Econofreight.

Click on pages twice to read.

1973 econofreighta.PNG

hh econofreight 83.PNG

hh econofreight 831.PNG

hh econofreight 832.PNG

Brochure.

DEANB:

pv83:

Buzzer:
One from way back, Buzzer

Such a beauty, on behalf of Dean, cheers for the pic mate :wink:

Indeed always nice to see a pic of Wrekin’s Constructor. :wink:

Nice one mate, cheers :wink:

Are Crane Fruehauf still out and about■■?

DEANB:
Nice pics of Econofreight Patrick. I always knew you were a Volvo fan. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Heres a bit more on Econofreight.

Click on pages twice to read.

Brochure.

Only from the F10/12 onwards Dean, not chuffed at all by those sheds you seem to like :laughing: :laughing:

One of those Atki’s at the end of it’s life, this one was wasn’t fitted with a RR engine, was it?

Some more (nmp)

Who knows more about this “little fella”…?

pv83:
DEANB Nice pics of Econofreight Patrick. I always knew you were a Volvo fan. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Only from the F10/12 onwards Dean, not chuffed at all by those sheds you seem to like :laughing: :laughing:

Patrick, dont read this it will upset you !! If it was those poxy Crusaders they would be doing 5mph ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink: