"Heavy Haulage through the years"

newmercman:
Proper bits of plant those Titan Mercs, the MANs built by and sometimes badged as OAF were big old beasts too. From what I remember they were always four or five axle jobs when the heavy haul offerings from other manufacturers were only 6 wheelers.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

We covered that some pages ago mate, they sure don’t make them like that anymore…

newmercman:
Hi Danne, yes the guy that bought it had a bit of a result to say the least, he said he could sell it cheap and still double his money. It makes a change to see someone come out on top when dealing with big dealerships.

I’m looking for a simple triaxle trailer, anything bigger and things get difficult, money goes up, but so does the hassle, so I want to start small and maybe go onto bigger stuff in the future, either way owning my own trailer will be a good thing, I’ll have something to trade if I move to a bigger trailer and I’ll save money in the meantime.

I will probably have to order a custom built trailer as I can’t find one to the specs I want on the used market and new trailers in stock are not quite what I want. All I need is an 80,000lbs capacity triaxle with a 10’ spread, I have a few other needs that are mostly focused on chain lashing points and pull out outriggers to allow me to haul 99% of the machines we regularly get.

It will benefit me in a number of ways, I can mark the trailer so that I can position things in the right place for weight distribution, after I’ve loaded and weighed a machine once, I’ll know exactly where to put the next one, so I’ll be able to pre order permits, saving time. Sometimes that could save me a whole day and a lot of messing around as I won’t have to weigh it and move the machine around to get my weights right and then order permits and wait for them to be approved. That alone makes it worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nooteboom mate, that’s what you want :wink:

oiltreader:
From Spain, shared on flickr.
Oily

Cheers Oily, but… erm… the grey Volvo in the third pic actually belongs to a Dutch firm… :blush:

Spardo:
A couple of pics of a Nooteboom which had just descended the 11 km long drop from the mountains of the Ardeche (I had already over taken his identical mate) with hardly a touch on his brakes. After the descent was completed there was a short diversion around roadworks with some sharp turns, which he accomplished flawlessly.

Don’t know what his weight would have been but the 1st axle on the trailer was lifted, though it caught the road briefly on the camber of the 2nd turn. (Actually the 1st picture :unamused: )

As this load seems to be multiple steel beams I harked back to the old days in the UK when abnormal loads were usually described as ‘indivisible’. In those days would a load such as this not have been permitted on one vehicle? Thankfully the law was changed many years ago and commonsense prevailed.

Cheers for the pic’s David, was probably just a backload for them, as these trailers are usually used for windmill blades or tower sections. As for your question regarding the invisible loads, there’s a French permit out now which one can use on these sort of loads, as long as you don’t go over the 48t mark and you stay within the 22m length (CAT 1 permit).

jsutherland:
Loading what looks like one of the caterpillars used on layign the pipelines.

Nice one mate! Looks more like a Komatsu to me though…

jsutherland:

newmercman:
Some bonsai heavy haul for me this week, dropped the mini combine off in Iowa, then over to Nebraska to load the tractor and seeder which I’m taking to Ontario, then possibly going down to Georgia to load a machine of some type for delivery in Kamloops, British Columbia, from there it will be into Tacoma, Washington to load for wherever.

Cheers for the pictures.

I was intrigued to see where your destinations were and looked them up in Googlemaps. The locations are only roughly the destinations which you listed.

Cheers for that Johnny, gives us an idea of what the distances are up there… you surely cover some miles NMM!

Fergie’s Ltd. having a go… :unamused:

From Finland… with love… :wink:

020sisu aufachse.jpg

Sisu_07.jpg

Tung Last.jpg

Some pic’s of what I’ve been doing these past few weeks.

20190427_091217.jpg

Will put these photo’s on here as it is heavy haulage based but just in 1/24th scale! Have built this model of the Magnaload F89 that my uncle drove, hope you like.

P1010348.JPG

P1010350.JPG

pv83:
Cheers for the pic’s David, was probably just a backload for them, as these trailers are usually used for windmill blades or tower sections. As for your question regarding the invisible loads, there’s a French permit out now which one can use on these sort of loads, as long as you don’t go over the 48t mark and you stay within the 22m length (CAT 1 permit).

That would explain the lifted front axle then. Also, perhaps, lack of ■■■■■■.

Re the Finnish pics you posted, I seem to remember that Dennisons of NI used Finnish cabs from Sisu. Is my memory correct, it would seem so looking at some of those?

And re your own pics, the bloke who pokes the overhead wires up with a pole must have had a long ladder getting those cooling towers under. :wink: :laughing:

Or did you lift him up and leave him there? :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:

jsutherland:
Loading what looks like one of the caterpillars used on layign the pipelines.

Nice one mate! Looks more like a Komatsu to me though…

Oops, I think you are right.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

pv83:

jsutherland:

newmercman:
Some bonsai heavy haul for me this week, dropped the mini combine off in Iowa, then over to Nebraska to load the tractor and seeder which I’m taking to Ontario, then possibly going down to Georgia to load a machine of some type for delivery in Kamloops, British Columbia, from there it will be into Tacoma, Washington to load for wherever.

Cheers for the pictures.

I was intrigued to see where your destinations were and looked them up in Googlemaps. The locations are only roughly the destinations which you listed.

Cheers for that Johnny, gives us an idea of what the distances are up there… you surely cover some miles NMM!

Yes, I sure his milkman is a very happy chappy for that…

pv83:
From Finland… with love… :wink:

THe two bonneted Sisus look mighty trucks!

pv83:

oiltreader:
From Spain, shared on flickr.
Oily

Cheers Oily, but… erm… the grey Volvo in the third pic actually belongs to a Dutch firm… :blush:

Pedantic or what :unamused: ok then photos of trucks taken in Spain, holy moly, camiones then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Oily

A couple to keep the pot boiling.
Oily

Heavy Haul Magirus-Deutz_A12000_Uranus_(250D25)_Convoi_Exceptionnel,_Gunfire_Artilleriemuseum_Brasschaat_foto_3 alf van beem avb .jpg

jshepguis:
Will put these photo’s on here as it is heavy haulage based but just in 1/24th scale! Have built this model of the Magnaload F89 that my uncle drove, hope you like.

What a cracking model mate! Well done indeed! How much time did it take you to build it?

Spardo:

pv83:

That would explain the lifted front axle then. Also, perhaps, lack of ■■■■■■.

Re the Finnish pics you posted, I seem to remember that Dennisons of NI used Finnish cabs from Sisu. Is my memory correct, it would seem so looking at some of those?

And re your own pics, the bloke who pokes the overhead wires up with a pole must have had a long ladder getting those cooling towers under. :wink: :laughing:

Or did you lift him up and leave him there? :laughing: :laughing:

Aye, they used the same cabs as Sisu did, I’m a bit puzzled about the engines that were on offer though, not sure if they fitted their own engines or the likes of CAT, ■■■■■■■ etc.
Maybe Danne or Johnny could find out for us?

I left him there… and if I’m not mistaken, he’s still “hanging” in there… :wink: