"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Jonbones89:
How would one get into this type of work? Its been my dream for years just dont know where to start. Id be happy hauling machinery to and from sites to tho.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quite simple, just apply for a job. Don’t know where you hail from, but most firms are short on drivers, so if you’re really interested, they’ll probably train you and take it from there. You do need a good set of brains though and shouldn’t be afraid to get your hands dirty.

Cheers, Patrick

So after a long silence this is your idea of a “comeback” Johnny…? :unamused:

You can get the man out of the Ikea bog, but you can’t get the Ikea bog out of the man eh… [emoji38]

Just out of curiosity Danne, what are the specifications of the new one?
[/quote]
I was only helping a friend out.
I thought the Kaelble post would have made up for it.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny
[/quote]
Is that your excuse eh? :laughing:

Fergie47:

Spardo:
Blimey, that 2nd to last looks like an ‘oh bugger’ moment.

Did the edge of the road give way, bad planning, or driver error?

Rumor has it that Whippersnapper kept on at them to “let me have a go” , so they did… :smiling_imp:

EDF, the government run electricity supplier had their own transport, (it’s now sub contracted) I reckon they were pretty good at what they did, so I’m guessing that the edge of the road gave way. There is a nuclear power plant near us, it’s closed now, but it’s up a lane up a lane, how they ever got the heavies up there I’ve no idea, must have had some good old boys working for them… :wink:

Some cracking footage there Senior, cheers!

Wasn’t me mate, but a certain fridge driver, you know the type, full throttle all the time… I’m more laid back as you know :wink:

pv83:

Dirty Dan:

jsutherland:

Dirty Dan:
Strange cant upload more…

Is this what you were trying to post Danne? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks Johnny! And yes it was that one i whanted to post :sunglasses:

Danne

So after a long silence this is your idea of a “comeback” Johnny…? :unamused:

You can get the man out of the Ikea bog, but you can’t get the Ikea bog out of the man eh… :laughing:

Just out of curiosity Danne, what are the specifications of the new one?

Hi Patric!

Its and R730 we have had it for a mounth maby. I like to test it just to see how it is but im stuck betwen 3cranes on a new built bridge and moving 14m long and 7m wide 57000kg parts from one crane to the other two. Drive to load 300m load then back down to unload. 2-3 times a day and 10-14h a day for the next 5weeks…
Try to post some pics but having troubble to post them…

Danne

pv83:

Jonbones89:
How would one get into this type of work? Its been my dream for years just dont know where to start. Id be happy hauling machinery to and from sites to tho.

Quite simple, just apply for a job. Don’t know where you hail from, but most firms are short on drivers, so if you’re really interested, they’ll probably train you and take it from there. You do need a good set of brains though and shouldn’t be afraid to get your hands dirty.

Cheers, Patrick

Thanks patrick. Got my C+E test again next month. Failed the first time but getting back on the bull as they say. Il get that under my belt and get some experience on class 1 with my current employer before i ask around.

There is a haulage firm close to me John dickinson in darlington i know they do heavy haulage and machinery. another is metcalfe haulage in leyburn from what ive seen they do the big loads.

Firms are all in reach so i gotta do my part and gain that extra category on my licence first.

Hi Patric!

Its and R730 we have had it for a mounth maby. I like to test it just to see how it is but im stuck betwen 3cranes on a new built bridge and moving 14m long and 7m wide 57000kg parts from one crane to the other two. Drive to load 300m load then back down to unload. 2-3 times a day and 10-14h a day for the next 5weeks…

Danne
[/quote]
A 730 eh… how would that compete with your 750 I wonder, there’s probably not all that much difference between them?

Sounds like your on a cracking job there mate, good luck with that! :wink:

pv83:
Hi Patric!

Danne

A 730 eh… how would that compete with your 750 I wonder, there’s probably not all that much difference between them?

Sounds like your on a cracking job there mate, good luck with that! :wink:
[/quote]
Yeah would be fun to see with same load togheter but as u say probably not mutch difference.

Yesterday i worked 10h and a drivingtime at 57min… and to day they have to move the crane 45m and they think it will take about 6h. But i have to be here sitting in my truck watching… fun times fun times :unamused:

Danne

Oh that 170-35 is a thing of beauty! Thanks for digging that up Anorak, it’s no secret that I love a big Italian V8, such a soulful engine and pretty much bombproof too, to answer the question on reliability. There are many people that slag off IVECOs, but not many of those owned or even drove one.

Now, big trailers, I’m looking at buying a trailer and going through the wanted ads I found a set of modular trailers, holy smokes, those things are not cheap, half a million dollars for a 12row jobbie of mid 90s vintage. Obviously I’m not in the market for one, I only need a 40ton capacity triaxle and of that I’m glad, even my laid back arse would struggle to sleep at night with a couple of million in finance on one combination.

And here’s this weeks fun and games, interesting and funny story about the sprayer, it was bought in non working condition by a farmer in Prince George BC, I picked it up after dropping the quad track that I got from Fargo, North Dakota into the back of beyond on the Manitoba Saskatchewan border.

Loading it was a massive drama as A, it didn’t run and B, I was surrounded by idiots! 5hrs after arriving and following some rather forceful remarks, pinky and perky who were attempting to put it on my trailer finally did it how I suggested at first and it was on the trailer, chained down and out of the gate in less than 30mins!

The best is yet to come though, apparently the machine died in a field, the owner couldn’t get it going, so got it moved to a nationwide dealer, they had in the shop for a month, fitted a new lift pump, fuel pump and a bunch of wiring harnesses and still couldn’t get it to run and gave up on it. The bloke in BC, who turned out to be from Worcester had bought it as a non runner, I took it up to him and we dragged it off the trailer with my chains in 5mins and stood around chatting about how crap the food is in Canada etc.

I was in no rush, so I helped him hook up a new set of batteries and he tried to start it, nothing, it turned over, but wouldn’t start, so he got a stick, poked it in the fuel tank and it came out bone dry, he put a few gallons of diesel in it, bled it and it started on the button! He got it for next to nothing and all it needed was diesel, can you believe the stupidity involved in this whole saga, unbelievable.

Anyway on from there a 1000mile deadhead to Saskatoon to load the mini combine, which I’m taking down to Iowa for Monday after a few days at home.

And there’s a bonus shot of me and my uncle parked in Prince George, he was on his way from Oregon up to Whitehorse in the Yukon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hi NMM! Now that is one amasing story,but good for the guy who bought it :smiley:
So how mutch can you load on your trailer? I guess it more in canada then i the U.S? What kinda trailer are you looking for? Same as you got but more axl?

Danne

Hi Danne, yes the guy that bought it had a bit of a result to say the least, he said he could sell it cheap and still double his money. It makes a change to see someone come out on top when dealing with big dealerships.

I’m looking for a simple triaxle trailer, anything bigger and things get difficult, money goes up, but so does the hassle, so I want to start small and maybe go onto bigger stuff in the future, either way owning my own trailer will be a good thing, I’ll have something to trade if I move to a bigger trailer and I’ll save money in the meantime.

I will probably have to order a custom built trailer as I can’t find one to the specs I want on the used market and new trailers in stock are not quite what I want. All I need is an 80,000lbs capacity triaxle with a 10’ spread, I have a few other needs that are mostly focused on chain lashing points and pull out outriggers to allow me to haul 99% of the machines we regularly get.

It will benefit me in a number of ways, I can mark the trailer so that I can position things in the right place for weight distribution, after I’ve loaded and weighed a machine once, I’ll know exactly where to put the next one, so I’ll be able to pre order permits, saving time. Sometimes that could save me a whole day and a lot of messing around as I won’t have to weigh it and move the machine around to get my weights right and then order permits and wait for them to be approved. That alone makes it worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Brill story and pics newmercman.

a couple in Europe.
Oily

Heavy Haul scaniverz1 cc by nc 2.0 14425412939_2ec9dc1e61_scaniaverz1o.jpg

From Spain, shared on flickr.
Oily

Heavy Haul SpainMartin J Gallego  cc by nc sa 2.0 33199904756_ba7d2ca1d5_o.jpg

Heavy Haul Spain 35236444373_a5b4a1006d_k.jpg

This looks the part.
Oily

Courtesy of Peter Schöler.
Oily

Heavy Haul PS 14646845086_b37d2cb3af_o.jpg

Heavy Haul PS 14646856266_65a0867a2d_o.jpg

STGO Heavy Haul PS 31247349117_e6832198f7_o (75).jpg

Proper bits of plant those Titan Mercs, the MANs built by and sometimes badged as OAF were big old beasts too. From what I remember they were always four or five axle jobs when the heavy haul offerings from other manufacturers were only 6 wheelers.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

A couple of pics of a Nooteboom which had just descended the 11 km long drop from the mountains of the Ardeche (I had already over taken his identical mate) with hardly a touch on his brakes. After the descent was completed there was a short diversion around roadworks with some sharp turns, which he accomplished flawlessly.

Don’t know what his weight would have been but the 1st axle on the trailer was lifted, though it caught the road briefly on the camber of the 2nd turn. (Actually the 1st picture :unamused: )

As this load seems to be multiple steel beams I harked back to the old days in the UK when abnormal loads were usually described as ‘indivisible’. In those days would a load such as this not have been permitted on one vehicle? Thankfully the law was changed many years ago and commonsense prevailed.

Some bonsai heavy haul for me this week, dropped the mini combine off in Iowa, then over to Nebraska to load the tractor and seeder which I’m taking to Ontario, then possibly going down to Georgia to load a machine of some type for delivery in Kamloops, British Columbia, from there it will be into Tacoma, Washington to load for wherever.

Loading what looks like one of the caterpillars used on layign the pipelines.

Spardo:
A couple of pics of a Nooteboom which had just descended the 11 km long drop from the mountains of the Ardeche (I had already over taken his identical mate) with hardly a touch on his brakes. After the descent was completed there was a short diversion around roadworks with some sharp turns, which he accomplished flawlessly.

Don’t know what his weight would have been but the 1st axle on the trailer was lifted, though it caught the road briefly on the camber of the 2nd turn. (Actually the 1st picture :unamused: )

As this load seems to be multiple steel beams I harked back to the old days in the UK when abnormal loads were usually described as ‘indivisible’. In those days would a load such as this not have been permitted on one vehicle? Thankfully the law was changed many years ago and commonsense prevailed.

Great pictures Spardo.

newmercman:
Some bonsai heavy haul for me this week, dropped the mini combine off in Iowa, then over to Nebraska to load the tractor and seeder which I’m taking to Ontario, then possibly going down to Georgia to load a machine of some type for delivery in Kamloops, British Columbia, from there it will be into Tacoma, Washington to load for wherever.

Cheers for the pictures.

I was intrigued to see where your destinations were and looked them up in Googlemaps. The locations are only roughly the destinations which you listed.