"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Spardo:

DEANB:
Heres an old piece about two Leyland Hippos on a job back in 1967. I like the bit where he says it was 65% overloaded ! :unamused:

Click on page twice to read.

That is fascinating Dean, I can well imagine the terror on those steep sections, especially downhill waiting for the drive axles to start hopping, and wonder if they considered unloading the D9 and driving it alone up and down.

Fascinating article indeed Dean, ta mate! As Spardo says though, it would have been easier to drive the dozer alone up that way, but as DIG says, got to give a shout out to the drivers who just cracked on with the job.

[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheeky bugger ! You know how it is Patrick scraping the barrel with that Scania,just trying to keep Johnny happy. :wink:

Well it takes a bit more to keep Johnny happy mate, big flashy pimped up wagons, that’s his style :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Footy Boots DIG…? For some reason sommat completely different comes to mind mate… :blush:

pv83:

jsutherland:

pv83:
Some pic’s from the MAN shoe box…

Some cracking MAN heavy haulage pictures from your MAN shoe box Patrick.

Cheers! Bet you was hoping it was going to be that Scanny shoe box though eh… [emoji38] [emoji38]

You probably burnt the Scania one long ago… [emoji4]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

DISPATCHER:

Cheers Chris :wink: Is that the one Dunkerley’s bought new?

jsutherland:

pv83:

jsutherland:

pv83:

Cheers! Bet you was hoping it was going to be that Scanny shoe box though eh… [emoji38] [emoji38]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

:laughing: :laughing:

jsutherland:

pv83:

jsutherland:

pv83:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Johnny,
A closet Scania fan like PV would never ever burn that shoe box, now the Scammell one, he has to prise the pics apart!

pete smith:

jsutherland:

pv83:

jsutherland:

pv83:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Johnny,
A closet Scania fan like PV would never ever burn that shoe box, now the Scammell one, he has to prise the pics apart!

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

A selection for Johnny and Patrick, (NMP’s), will remove if requested, this don’t include you pair!

download.jpg

32520133700_c5c72c73cb.jpg

8161391921_35ca000390.jpg

pete smith:

pv83:

pete smith:
Hi Patrick,
A load fresh out of John Thompsons in Bilston Staffs.
Picture taken on Tettenhall road in Wolverhampton on it way to Ellesmere Port I think, late 1970’s, it was usually Wynns who took these loads! The motorcycle Police ■■■■■■ at the rear was Joe Davies, Cheer’s Pete

Ta Pete, Cracking shot to wake up with :wink: Did you saw them coming through when you were a nipper? :laughing:

Yes mate, to be honest I cannot remember Pickfords doing much it was always Wynns I can remember mostly, a mile further down that road is where I saw that “hovercraft” system that Wynns used for the first time as there was a canal, stream and railway bridge’s within 50 yards of each other!

Sorry I missed this earlier but I recall that an apprentice at one of the trailer manufacturers came up with the Hoverskirt idea for heavy loads.
Wonder if he got a 10bob bonus in the wage packet one week.

Dig

Hi Patrick, thats right combination ex Dunkerley

Heres the latest about to hit our roads travelling Adelaide to Perth ,82.5 tons gross 42 metres long 60 pallet deck space or 120pallets with double deck Mezzanine floors.
Some comments on the social truck drivers forum here how 2nd driver comfort is like trying to sleep on a parcel tray.
Dig

Screenshot-2019-03-20-11.00.25.png

DIG:
Heres the latest about to hit our roads travelling Adelaide to Perth ,82.5 tons gross 42 metres long 60 pallet deck space or 120pallets with double deck Mezzanine floors.
Some comments on the social truck drivers forum here how 2nd driver comfort is like trying to sleep on a parcel tray.
Dig

That’s some outfit Dig, seems very close coupled for a 5th wheel setup, unless the rear of each body is scallopped. Reminds me of the drawbars we had here (don’t see them any more) that were coupled on a really heavy duty telescopic bar which, when the rear body touched a frame on the front one, it allowed the bar to extend and the bodies to clear each other.

Can’t see how that would work with this unless the 5th wheel was on an automatic slider.

Also with 2 drivers, how long does it take for the 2 and a half thousand odd kms?

Spardo:

DIG:
Dig

That’s some outfit Dig, seems very close coupled for a 5th wheel setup, unless the rear of each body is scallopped. Reminds me of the drawbars we had here (don’t see them any more) that were coupled on a really heavy duty telescopic bar which, when the rear body touched a frame on the front one, it allowed the bar to extend and the bodies to clear each other.

Can’t see how that would work with this unless the 5th wheel was on an automatic slider.

Also with 2 drivers, how long does it take for the 2 and a half thousand odd kms?

The doubles I have seen close coupled like these are 5th wheel so I would say they are all too,not scolloped, I will add they have been permitted for this configuration Perth Adelaide only,i.m guessing they may be allowed to go from Perth to Darwin and Darwin back to Adelaide but not anywhere in the more populated areas of the Eastern states.
Last year when I went to Melbourne as second driver with mate Rob we did Perth to Adelaide in 34 hours two meal stops.I never went over 90 k/h Rob was a little quicker.
Dig

DIG:
Dig

Are Autralian pallets larger the European ones? A standard 12/13 metres semi-trailer accomodates 33 pallets. Normally, this 3-element outfit shout carry more. At least is that how I see things…

Froggy55:

DIG:
Dig

Are Autralian pallets larger the European ones? A standard 12/13 metres semi-trailer accomodates 33 pallets. Normally, this 3-element outfit shout carry more. At least is that how I see things…

Froggy thats the companies advertised carrieing capacity per unit.
The Pallets size must be different your side of the globe Froggy if you get 33 per 40foot trailer floor space as this unit is 42metres total length I did a rough measurement with the prime mover at 5 metres from front to front of lead trailer that leaves 37metres for 3 trailers less the clearance between each unit so I reckon they would have a smidgeon over 12 metres floor space each one that would be 20 pallets a trailer here.I always thought the Chep pallets were a standard size worldwide but happy to be told different.Yours must be quite narrow.

Dig

Froggy55:

DIG:
Dig

Froggy 55 I have just measured up a couple of our standard pallets one a wooden Chep and the other a plastic one
The wooden unit was 46inches by 46inches thats 1170 by 1170 The plastic was 43 1/4 by 43 1/4 inches 1100 by 1100.
I would be interested to know the measurements of your pallets .
Our trailers are 8 feet 2 and a1/2 inches or 2.5 metres wide the length varies depending on application.
Cheers Dig

Standard “Europ” pallets are 80 x 120. American (ISO) pallets are 100 x 120. Both types are used, and fitting the in the truck depends if they’re carefully piled and wrapped.

Froggy55:
Standard “Europ” pallets are 80 x 120. American (ISO) pallets are 100 x 120. Both types are used, and fitting the in the truck depends if they’re carefully piled and wrapped.

Thank you .

Dig