health and safety

the maoster:
I feel your pain with that Adonis, but it’s a double edged sword tbh; when I’ve got my drivers hat on I hate giving my keys in and feel that it’s somewhat akin to giving your house keys to a passing stranger in the street.

However, with my shunting hat on I have to contend with an under employed site safety man who will regularly do spot checks on the tugs to check keys and Salvo locks to ensure that we (the shunters) have the correct keys in the tug and also that we haven’t “slaved” off the locks on any of the spare air line ends that we carry for when rigid vehicles come on site. (We sometimes slave them off if past experience has taught us that the driver isn’t an idiot and can be trusted, or if he’s driving a particularly close coupled rig and we can’t be arsed with the aggro of getting his red line off and then back on).

I had the conversation with an Actros driver the other week who gave me a set of Renault keys and I pointed out that I’m not a yard policeman and I don’t really care if he hands me dud keys, but if the safety man checked then next time he came he shouldn’t be surprised if all drivers were sat in a portacabin whilst they were getting tipped/ loaded as opposed to their cabs.

I get what you’re saying but dung pits where you get sat in a prison cell and hand your keys in can’t really do anything worse.

I don’t mind so much handing them in if I’m sat in the cab, I do have a spare key too, in case I get locked out, it lives outside the cab hidden away.

Its amazing the state of affairs in this dump of a country compared to the continent, jumped up little helmets who turn purple with rage if you don’t wear a hi vis and how badly drivers are treated on sites.

Like you say though, it’s double sided, you just need to look at some of the vermin that drive trucks to see why stupid rules are in place. Shuffling around unwashed living in hi vis with more grease over it than their fifth wheel, breathing their stench and attitude at everything.

A.

nightline:

truckman020:
how many on here hate H&S,delivering to my regular place for the last two and a half years,we[the drivers] would sit in the cabs while the vehicle was unloaded,never had any problems at all,couple of months back two idiots decide we can no longer sit in our cabs I thought I would ask and the reply was safety believe it or not,now all drivers have to stand outside in all weathers breathing in diesel exhaust fumes from the forklifts,ok we are under a canopy attached to the building but that’s over the top only,the wind today was unbelievable,to my mind where they get the idea that it’s a safety issue is beyond me,we were in the cab,not in the way,so the safest place to be,these two supervisor/team leader dxxxs decide it’s not safe under H&S bull.

And you did what you were told, its sounds like if they told you to stand in the middle of the yard you would not have a problem with that, everyone to there own

not a lot going where I reside jobwise,the people in question are one of the biggest employers in the town and a lot of haulage companies rely on them for work,if I refused or questioned It no doubt I would be banned from the site, result no job and back on the agency,what would you do,prefer to keep a secure job or go back to agency,i am not the only one who is annoyed by it,all the drivers are,but they are in the same position as me,also if I sat in the cab the forklift drivers are under orders not to unload us,so it’s a no win situation,just annoys me that they use H&S bull to do it,and to answer your question I have lost too many jobs over the years because I didn’t agree with what employers said and told them to shove it,getting too old for that now.

muckles:

kcrussell25:
I assume previously when you waited in the cab you handed your keys in? It wouldn’t then be a stretch to guess that someone has been caught giving in car/spare keys.

There have been numerous cases of drivers pulling off on red lights so there has to be an investigation to prevent it from reoccurring.

The easiest solution is to hand keys in but if drivers then can’t be trusted to do so out of the cabs is the only option from the company point of view.

There are other options to make sure a truck is secure on a bay while tipping, Bernard Matthews site at Gt Witchingham has a system that automatically chocks the trailer wheels while the red light is on, seems like a far better system than relying on drivers to hand keys in or ensure park brakes are on if they drop the trailers.

with this lot all we do is pull up outside a door pull the curtain open on one side as they have forks that extend and just stand around until unloaded.

Sand Fisher:

muckles:

kcrussell25:
I assume previously when you waited in the cab you handed your keys in? It wouldn’t then be a stretch to guess that someone has been caught giving in car/spare keys.

There have been numerous cases of drivers pulling off on red lights so there has to be an investigation to prevent it from reoccurring.

The easiest solution is to hand keys in but if drivers then can’t be trusted to do so out of the cabs is the only option from the company point of view.

There are other options to make sure a truck is secure on a bay while tipping, Bernard Matthews site at Gt Witchingham has a system that automatically chocks the trailer wheels while the red light is on, seems like a far better system than relying on drivers to hand keys in or ensure park brakes are on if they drop the trailers.

Pain in the r’s but there is the suzie lock option too.

never needed to we sat in our cabs until vehicle was empty,we couldn’t move until we got a card back to give to others at the end for empties

truckman020:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

with this lot all we do is pull up outside a door pull the curtain open on one side as they have forks that extend and just stand around until unloaded.

This is what I don’t understand in a situation like that; surely safest place for you is in the cab if you’re being unloaded from the side and not on a loading bay and it is a policy is many places that drivers remain in the cab when tipped from the side. So have they given you a reason for the change, besides H&S?

truckman020:

nightline:

truckman020:
how many on here hate H&S,delivering to my regular place for the last two and a half years,we[the drivers] would sit in the cabs while the vehicle was unloaded,never had any problems at all,couple of months back two idiots decide we can no longer sit in our cabs I thought I would ask and the reply was safety believe it or not,now all drivers have to stand outside in all weathers breathing in diesel exhaust fumes from the forklifts,ok we are under a canopy attached to the building but that’s over the top only,the wind today was unbelievable,to my mind where they get the idea that it’s a safety issue is beyond me,we were in the cab,not in the way,so the safest place to be,these two supervisor/team leader dxxxs decide it’s not safe under H&S bull.

And you did what you were told, its sounds like if they told you to stand in the middle of the yard you would not have a problem with that, everyone to there own

not a lot going where I reside jobwise,the people in question are one of the biggest employers in the town and a lot of haulage companies rely on them for work,if I refused or questioned It no doubt I would be banned from the site, result no job and back on the agency,what would you do,prefer to keep a secure job or go back to agency,i am not the only one who is annoyed by it,all the drivers are,but they are in the same position as me,also if I sat in the cab the forklift drivers are under orders not to unload us,so it’s a no win situation,just annoys me that they use H&S bull to do it,and to answer your question I have lost too many jobs over the years because I didn’t agree with what employers said and told them to shove it,getting too old for that now.

The cab is your place of work, if you read a lot of posts here its a second home to a lot of drivers.
if they want to enforce H/S let them come up with something that stops the truck moving not put you out of your second home.
They cant sack all of you, its about sticking together, there is no way I would get out of my second home to stand in a canopy in bad weather and i am sure there is a lot more here who would not

muckles:

truckman020:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

This is what I don’t understand in a situation like that; surely safest place for you is in the cab if you’re being unloaded from the side and not on a loading bay and it is a policy is many places that drivers remain in the cab when tipped from the side. So have they given you a reason for the change, besides H&S?

I agree,i can only assume these two individuals wanted to exert their authority and decided to take it out on the drivers,show the company they are earning their money as H&S reps

nightline:

truckman020:

nightline:

truckman020:

The cab is your place of work, if you read a lot of posts here its a second home to a lot of drivers.
if they want to enforce H/S let them come up with something that stops the truck moving not put you out of your second home.
They cant sack all of you, its about sticking together, there is no way I would get out of my second home to stand in a canopy in bad weather and i am sure there is a lot more here who would not

you and I both know drivers in this day and age will not stick together,unfortunate but true

Yesterday I was sent to another quarry for a load of coated. Both quarry’s owned by the same company. Quarry 1. Regular loading place, H&S not too bad, flashing beacons must be on when driving in yard etc etc drivers not to leave cab, high viz, loading slips from Weighbridge sent automatically to plant to avoid drivers walking into mixing plant cabin. Quarry 2. Got asked by Weighbridge man why have I put my flashing beacons on? !!! Loading slip handed to me, and told park up in line and walk to the mixing plant cabin to hand it in, when I walked through the cabin door, got told I had parked on the wrong side of the road and next time park on the otherside as I might get knocked over.

Sidevalve:

mdourish:
I delivered to a place the other day not a hi viz in sight no h & s notices security friendly.

Do 'em every day. They’re called farms. :smiley:

And where does farming rank on the list of the most dangerous jobs in the UK because of the accident and death rate? Right up in second place in 2017.

telegraph.co.uk/business/201 … -much-pay/

Not exactly a good example to use.

Truck driving is ranked 5th by the way.

Conor:

Sidevalve:

mdourish:
I delivered to a place the other day not a hi viz in sight no h & s notices security friendly.

And where does farming rank on the list of the most dangerous jobs in the UK because of the accident and death rate? Right up in second place in 2017.

Oh no, we better wear a hi vis when around cows, that’ll keep us all safe. :unamused:

Spoken like a proper corporate, useless, brainless, agency clown.

A.

Conor:

Sidevalve:

mdourish:

Maybe even worse than the Telegraph says…

jobs.telegraph.co.uk/article/uk … -industry/
independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho … 45324.html

About 3 million employed in construction.
About 3 hundred thousand in farming.
So construction about 15 deaths per 100,000 jobs
farming about 50 deaths per 100,000 jobs

That isn`t taking account of how many hours worked in each job. (Maybe a farmer works longer than a construction worker and so is exposed to risk longer?).
Looking at road transport:
The Telegraph says “38 lorry driver deaths”.
statista.com/statistics/785 … ers-in-uk/ says 800,000 full time drivers?
truckers under 1 death per 100,000 jobs

Rough n ready figures, of course. All dragged quickly from various sources. Note also the Telegraph figures are fatalities over 5 years. Feel free to rip em apart with your own evidence. (Or just get upset, shout, swear, and say Im an idiot without providing a jot of evidence if you prefer).Whoops, that`s directed at everyone, not anyone in particular.

Ah the old "It’s Health and Safety "
In most cases it’s not it’s the whim of an H&S manager trying to justify all the jollies they have been on disguised as H&S courses .
Most cannot quote any specific regulations connected to what they supposedly cover .
If you ever deal with the Health and safety executive the tend to be reasonable and sensible unless you are trying it on or being a muppet .
Yes , I have had my clashes in the past including a stroppy H&S assistant manager getting a written warning for gross misconduct.
I realised later in life that most of them only hear what suits their agenda .
When the H&S induction takes longer than the job then something is a bit amiss .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Delivered to a firm the other day and i had to park in the bay marked loading, then chock wheels, then hand keys to forklift driver and finally stand in driver waiting area…all this after signing the drivers register…
But delivered to a place last week that say you must, once on the bay unhitch and park opposite, then matey saw it was only 10plts so said just stay hitched up mate as it’ll only take 15mins…
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk