Having to put your Dog to sleep

Toddy2:
Cried my eyes out when the time came for each of these

Ditto mate…

Just got back about an hour ago after taking my best friend to vets wont go into details but it was a very hard decision to make and live with. Goodnight Mia may you rest in peace. ■■■

LASHHGV:
Just got back about an hour ago after taking my best friend to vets wont go into details but it was a very hard decision to make and live with. Goodnight Mia may you rest in peace. ■■■

Feel for you mate, tis heart wrenching :cry:

I lost my buddy nearly 4 years ago. Soul destroying. That’s all I can say. Hurt so much I can’t have another, ever

Thanks for your messages still got 3 more dogs at home they really are like my children. 5 years ago me and my wife volunteered at a local animal shelter. We found they had a dog called Heidi who was in a bad way and couldn’t even walk more than a few yards at a time. This would probably make it very hard to find a home to take her. We decided to ‘foster’ her to get back into a healthy condition to get a forever home.
Anyway we were rubbish at fostering we told the home after day 2 that we were going to keep her. For 3 months we helped her, got her an operation for her paw and generally got her back on her feet.
But after 3 months one day she just gave in and had massive organ failure she died at the vets that night. Even after 3 months we were heartbroken and we have her ashes in our living room.
A couple of days later my wife found Mia at the home again in a bit of a state and took her home, rang me at work and told me we had another dog. Again we sorted this one out and she has gave us 5 years of happiness. Although we never knew her previous life we think she was about 10-11 years old when she passed which was a decent age for a Shar-Pei.

My old boy’s still going even after his stroke. I’m beginning to wonder who’ll go first. :slight_smile: Sad days for you blokes, having to say goodbye.

LASHHGV:
Thanks for your messages still got 3 more dogs at home they really are like my children. 5 years ago me and my wife volunteered at a local animal shelter. We found they had a dog called Heidi who was in a bad way and couldn’t even walk more than a few yards at a time. This would probably make it very hard to find a home to take her. We decided to ‘foster’ her to get back into a healthy condition to get a forever home.
Anyway we were rubbish at fostering we told the home after day 2 that we were going to keep her. For 3 months we helped her, got her an operation for her paw and generally got her back on her feet.
But after 3 months one day she just gave in and had massive organ failure she died at the vets that night. Even after 3 months we were heartbroken and we have her ashes in our living room.
A couple of days later my wife found Mia at the home again in a bit of a state and took her home, rang me at work and told me we had another dog. Again we sorted this one out and she has gave us 5 years of happiness. Although we never knew her previous life we think she was about 10-11 years old when she passed which was a decent age for a Shar-Pei.

Sounds a bit familiar,

My missus used to be a volunteer at a RSPCA greyhound rescue center,
found a soft spot for a couple of hopeless cases,
One of those above - Bess, had a very sad past - been abused by the travelling folk
The other, Winnie, was found in a bad way on the A120, had obviously been used for coursing, had plenty of battle scars.

emmerson2:
The only problem with taking on a young dog is that I’m 73, so the dog will probably outlive me, and will possibly need rehoming at an advanced age, which may not be good for her.
Life’s a bugger at times, ain’t it?

You probably know, but in case not Dogs trust operate a Canine Care card

dogstrust.org.uk/get-involv … care-card/

You don’t have to leave them anything in your will. Frankly when I pop my clogs, they’ll be doing alright as I have no family to leave anything to, that I reckon taking on my crazy pack will be a challenge for them :wink:

we have nominated Dogs Trust to take ours if anything happens to us, and I have left them a large donation too !!