GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

loader8:

reagle ill do it:
this thread still going on theres at least 5 drivers including me that have drove the guy with a 240 in it who have posted on this thread you lot seem to forget there wernt the camaras about them days that there is now

Its ok robin,these old duffers know there were guys with 240,s,they must have seen them when they were being overtook by them.
Its just their memories are gone.

hiya,
Lorry photography has been going on since the year dot just take a look at the Maudslay website featuring vehicles from the 1920s why nothing from Guy a relatively recent manufacturer by comparison.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:

loader8:

reagle ill do it:
this thread still going on theres at least 5 drivers including me that have drove the guy with a 240 in it who have posted on this thread you lot seem to forget there wernt the camaras about them days that there is now

Its ok robin,these old duffers know there were guys with 240,s,they must have seen them when they were being overtook by them.

hiya,
Lorry photography has been going on since the year dot just take a look at the Maudslay website featuring vehicles from the 1920s why nothing from Guy a relatively recent manufacturer by comparison.

Well said “H”,but what some of these young’uns forget is “these old duffers” he refers to have probably rolled further back at traffic lights than they’ve driven forwards!! And another thing,I cannot re-call ever been overtaken by a Big J with an 8LXB engine! by Atkis and ERF’s yes but not by a Guy,other than one with a ■■■■■■■ engine!! Cheers Dennis.

Dave the Renegade:

Number 40.The other 39 were Smiths.

Bewick:

harry_gill:

loader8:

reagle ill do it:

hiya,

Well said “H”,but what some of these young’uns forget is “these old duffers” he refers to have probably rolled further back at traffic lights than they’ve driven forwards!! And another thing,I cannot re-call ever been overtaken by a Big J with an 8LXB engine! by Atkis and ERF’s yes but not by a Guy,other than one with a ■■■■■■■ engine!! Cheers Dennis.

hiya
Was referred to as a duffer when at school inevitable it would follow me throughout my lifetime and at age 75 people/person still think I’m still a duffer and funnily I couldn’t care less, It’s never affected my earning capacity
and was able to retire from work when it suited me and not have to keep going like some I know long after they
should have retired I’m not talking about a guy who keeps his HGV licence in force for fun and just to keep doing
a bit to keep their hand in that’s OK if it suits but full time working at 75 plus I can’t understand, what are they
trying to prove?? and if they had to spend their day pushing the mythical beast ie’ the Big J with the 240 Percy
inboard :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: they might not have so keen to soldier on.
thanks harry long RETIRED…

As I’ve said before Harry the coldest motor I ever drove was fitted with a 240 gardner.
Couple that to a “Big J”, the most uncomfortable motor ever built (that offset drivng
position) and you have a vehicle that makes such an underwhelming impression
I wonder what all the fuss is about. Just a thought but it could be that the reason
there are no shots, is that the only way to warm that 8cylinder fridge was to set
fire to it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Add to that the Guy (it is bonfire night) and we could have
solved the mystery!! :bulb: regards Kev.

kevmac47:
As I’ve said before Harry the coldest motor I ever drove was fitted with a 240 gardner.
Couple that to a “Big J”, the most uncomfortable motor ever built (that offset drivng
I wonder what all the fuss is about. Just a thought but it could be that the reason
there are no shots, is that the only way to warm that 8cylinder fridge was to set
fire to it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Add to that the Guy (it is bonfire night) and we could have

hiya
Kev I personally didn’t mind the driving position of the Big J " my old lady reckons I’m a twisted old git anyway", and with the ■■■■■■■ installed was quite a warm motor there certainly wasn’t much could outdo them in those times and I never had one let me down I thought they was a sturdy old bus, although I have to admit I would do you a swap for your current Barra without having to have my arm forced up my back, any takers.

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

hiya
Kev I personally didn’t mind the driving position of the Big J " my old lady reckons I’m a twisted old git anyway", and with the ■■■■■■■ installed was quite a warm motor there certainly wasn’t much could outdo them in those times and I never had one let me down I thought they was a sturdy old bus, although I have to admit I would do you a swap for your current Barra without having to have my arm forced up my back, any takers.

Do’es that mean you’ll be making me an offer for the “barra” when I chuck it next year Harry??
regards Kev

kevmac47:

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

hiya

Do’es that mean you’ll be making me an offer for the “barra” when I chuck it next year Harry??
regards Kev

hiya,
Kev as an impoverished OAP in this day and age I’m afraid I can only accept freebies and that would have to include a driver a full tank of derv and a set of decorators steps to get into and out of the cab.

David Edwards who had the Big J with the 8LXB has now got a computer so when he gets to grips with it.He will tell you all about their 8LXB Big J and post a copy of the log book.

Dave the Renegade:
David Edwards who had the Big J with the 8LXB has now got a computer so when he gets to grips with it.He will tell you all about their 8LXB Big J and post a copy of the log book.

Now then “David” we can arrange to get you treatment for this obsession of yours about Big J’s with 8LXB’s.Where is your man who was on holiday in America ? the “injuns” must have captured him by now surely ? Your claim that Guy’s built only 40 8LXB’s,39 of which went to SOM has being challenged as been incorrect in an earlier “Yawn”!!! post on this thread,and the excuse about your man having “just got a computer” is a bit of a “long shot” excuse to say the least !! Even “H” and me have had a computer each for a good while and we are both from the iron age,well “H” maybe hails from the stone age but the two “ages” are only a few years apart anyhow !!! Get Trace to give you an extra shot of Easi Start in the morning !!! Doh! pass the Glenffidich “H” quick !! Cheers Hic! hic! Dennis.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Now then “David” we can arrange to get you treatment for this obsession of yours about Big J’s with 8LXB’s.Where is your man who was on holiday in America ? the “injuns” must have captured him by now surely ? Your claim that Guy’s built only 40 8LXB’s,39 of which went to SOM has being challenged as been incorrect in an earlier “Yawn”!!! post on this thread,and the excuse about your man having “just got a computer” is a bit of a “long shot” excuse to say the least !! Even “H” and me have had a computer each for a good while and we are both from the iron age,well “H” maybe hails from the stone age but the two “ages” are only a few years apart anyhow !!! Get Trace to give you an extra shot of Easi Start in the morning !!! Doh! pass the Glenffidich “H” quick !! Cheers Hic! hic! Dennis.

M A Evans have computers in their office Dennis,but David didn’t want to know about them.But I saw him in Presteigne earlier tonight and he told me he had now got one and wanted to know how to get onto TNUK.
Once he gets to grips wih it,you will have another son of Radnorshire to deal with :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Dennis, are you a single malt fancier the same as Harry & Larry Monarchs of the Glen Fiddich & Morangie, whats your tipple, please tell us so Harry & I can drink your health at the Xmas do. Reagrds Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Dennis, are you a single malt fancier the same as Harry & Larry Monarchs of the Glen Fiddich & Morangie, whats your tipple, please tell us so Harry & I can drink your health at the Xmas do. Reagrds Larry

Larry,he sups Morracamby,distilled in t’Lancashire Pennines. :grimacing:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Well Larry,we always have a bottle or two of single malt in for special occaisions only,you understand,I’am really only a Grouse or Bells man really ( my rates obviously wern’t as good as yours !!) with ice and a touch of “cold” tap watter straight out of Thirlmere or Haweswater. I look forward to coming across you lads one day and enjoying a dram or two/three/four,whose counting !!! Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,
Better still Dennis turn up at our next “do” 28th Dec afternoon until “all fall down” might even see me get my ■■■■■ out, wives are welcome but I don’t inform mine of that in case she want’s to attend.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,
Better still Dennis turn up at our next “do” 28th Dec afternoon until “all fall down” might even see me get my ■■■■■ out, wives are welcome but I don’t inform mine of that in case she want’s to attend.

Its a good job they’ve banned smoking,otherwise if someone lit up the place would explode from the fumes :exclamation: :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya, Better still Dennis turn up at our next “do” 28th Dec afternoon until “all fall down” might even see me get my ■■■■■ out, wives are welcome but I don’t inform mine of that in case she want’s to attend. thanks harry long retired.

Thanks for the kind offer “H” but if I was to tell you that if I never attended another Christmas “■■■■ up” I’ve attended 1 too many and Anne was there with us on many of them ( only until she went home after an hour or so to prepare the Xmas dinner!) One I remember in about '85 when at around 4.30 pm there was still about £20 left in what had been an extremely large kitty and there was only me and a lad from the Mill sales office still standing at the bar ( he was actually a native of the IOM,so that accounted for his stamina,free drink and buffet ect.) So I said put it in the Blind box Roy (landlord) and this IOM native started crying he couldn’t believe what I’d said ,the greedy ■■■■■■■ !!! Then the landlord shoved a bottle of Gordons into my pocket and the chauffer took me home,whereupon I crashed out,still in my boiler suit and cap,on the office floor at home!! Did I get a bollicking or what!!! But this was more-or-less every year for 20 odd,nothing changed !! happy days cheers Dennis.

Dave the Renegade:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,

Its a good job they’ve banned smoking,otherwise if someone lit up the place would explode from the fumes :exclamation: :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

hiya,
We do all turn up in wellies though Dave because of the amount of diesel spilled.

harry_gill:

Dave the Renegade:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,

Cheers Dave.

hiya,
We do all turn up in wellies though Dave because of the amount of diesel spilled.

forgot about the diesel fumes Harry. I was thinking of the vapour off the whisky.You should all be fitted with hazchem plates :wink: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

harry_gill:

Dave the Renegade:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,

Cheers Dave.

hiya,

forgot about the diesel fumes Harry. I was thinking of the vapour off the whisky.You should all be fitted with hazchem plates :wink: .
Cheers Dave.

hiya,
Dave I only become a hazard at closing time when I’m trying to cross the road to the bus stop just glad those motorist’s who I’m putting at risk have working brakes, show me the way to go home can’t master those sat-nav thingy’s.