GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

never seen one like this?

Telekonsteve:

Here is a late '76 shot of two of our 8LXB Big J’s :wink: with identical “rear cab” set up. One was new and in primer and the one on the end was in service. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Here is a late '76 shot of two of our 8LXB Big J’s

:open_mouth: :laughing:

cheers bewick similar to an atki set up

Telekonsteve:
cheers bewick similar to an atki set up

You mentioned Atkys Steve and as we ran a good number in the 70’s we did carry out our own “mod” by fitting a stack on the air cleaner ,well on the ■■■■■■■ engine units but as you can see the Borderer 8LXB had a substantial factory fitted stack. The other two shots were the standard set up with just the “mushroom” fitted straight onto the filter body. The Seddon 32/4 and the Big J both had stacks fitted to their air cleaners.

Plenty of room to hide a straight-eight in this one :wink:

31867756728_3a81992fb4_z.jpg

1975 I was working for ‘Jones Transport’, Ladypool road Birmingham.
We had two Guy Big J’s with the eight cylinder engine in (Rolls Royce Eagle?)

At the time we were taken over by ‘Pollocks’ so the Guys may have originated from them.

BedKm:

At the time we were taken over by ‘Pollocks’ so the Guys may have originated from them.

RR Eagles were straight-six lumps. Was there a straight-eight version?

ERF-NGC-European:

BedKm:

RR Eagles were straight-six lumps. Was there a straight-eight version?

There was a C8, but no Eagle 8, as far as I know. I think BedKM’s Big J’s must have been the well-known Gardner 8 cylinder version. :smiley:

160 pages and still no proof!

Jazzandy:

Valkerie’s proof seemed good enough to me! :sunglasses:

ERF-NGC-European:

Jazzandy:

The Museum wanted £50 for a printout of one of the build sheets, IIRC, but no one was prepared to cough up. I think we’re all agreed that the batch of vehicles was built, but the search for a photo of one of that batch, with the engine visible, is what we’re missing. Such a photograph may be worth more than a build sheet… :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Jazzandy:

The Museum wanted £50 for a printout of one of the build sheets, IIRC, but no one was prepared to cough up. I think we’re all agreed that the batch of vehicles was built, but the search for a photo of one of that batch, with the engine visible, is what we’re missing. Such a photograph may be worth more than a build sheet… :laughing:

D’accord! Absolutely; and surely the porpoise of this very thread. I’m taking care not to be an ultracrepidarian (one who loves to offer opinions on subjects on which they know nothing about) here - we already have our fair share on this forum. :laughing:

Oh! no! we’re not trying to beat life into this “dead horse” after what will be 12 years this year and still no photographic evidence has been produced ! I wonder what odds Ladbrokes would give me on a trifecta for a photo of Elvis & Hitler sat in an 8LXB engine Big J ? Probably have a fair chance of “clocking” the first two but doubtful about their mode of transport ! :cry: Or perhaps there may have been a far better chance of getting a shot of Santa on his slay pulled by 8 Reindeer ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 8 Reindeer ! :wink: PMSL !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Jazzandy:

I’ll play £10 towards seeing Denzil eat his words . :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Jazzandy:

I’ll play £10 towards seeing Denzil eat his words . :laughing:

Your as tight as a crabs arse at 200 fathoms Dan’l ! :unamused: But can I just inject a bit of correctness into this “dead horse” thread------ I NEVER said that NO 8 LXB Big J’s were ever built as I only asked if anyone had seen one, built one new or sold one and was there a side view shot of one clearly showing the rear of the 8LXB protruding from the back of the cab ! So far to date many have been getting their underwear “twisted” by shouting loudly and often that there had been various numbers ( 39 or was it 40) of the said beast built at Fallings Park but as yet almost 12 years later absolutely ZERO/ Jack ■■■■ on the Photographic evidence front ! So I’d call it a day I really would ! Bewick.

Make it £20 now plus another for a real photo :open_mouth: old Denzil may be here not for ever :laughing: :wink: :blush:

Punchy Dan:
Make it £20 now plus another for a real photo :open_mouth: old Denzil may be here not for ever :laughing: :wink: :blush:

You’ve obviously “been down the back of the sofa” Dan’l and megged up another tenner so keep looking and you will, should, amass the other 30 notes to make up the £50 !! :wink: But then the next problem will be persuading you to part with it for what ? a build sheet with no Photos ? What a waste of good money but then again “easy come easy go” :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Old Denzil.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

You’ve obviously “been down the back of the sofa” Dan’l and megged up another tenner so keep looking and you will, should, amass the other 30 notes to make up the £50 !! :wink: But then the next problem will be persuading you to part with it for what ? a build sheet with no Photos ? What a waste of good money but then again “easy come easy go” :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Old Denzil.

Plus another £10 :laughing: