Greenfell aniversary

Franglais:
If talking helps some others then I won’t condemn them for doing so. But equally I won’t be doing too much of it myself.
Because I find listening to the bereaved speak of their lost ones, difficult, doesn’t mean I want them to stop. I don’t have to listen to them any more than I have to listen to Katy Hopkins. I don’t expect either of them to shut up.

Frankly I don’t care whether they talk about it or not, if they need counselling I have no problem with that nor do I have a problem with the tax payer paying for it, however the spoken obituaries and people publicly seeking pity has absolutely nothing to do with the inquiry.

Sent from my mobile.

Franglais:
“Tactic of over supply to collapse the housing market”!
No danger of that at the moment I’d have thought?
What a strange and sorry country we inhabit when a dwelling place becomes a source of increasing wealth for no effort. When it appears some would prefer younger families to be under housed rather than give up their own financial benefits from the rampant inflation of housing costs? Bizarre.
And to your early point, I am not defending the over development of London, but am trying to point out how the system works in the real world. We haven’t yet arrived at the stage where manual workers are required to return to the “townships” or have their families live in the “homelands” away from the eyes of their superiors who they serve.

The idea of more supply to lower housing costs is what the developers and their puppets in government and media keep on telling the masses and they believe it.While if that was true London let alone Greater London would have the lowest housing costs in the country.

As for under housed families and housing inflation.That’s caused more by the something for nothing inflationary ‘housing ladder’ which by definition means trading up at the next buyer’s expense.Ironically over development creating more incentive for such moves.Combined with the fact that as I said the impossibility of providing decent housing and a decent quality of life for a population of 8 million + and climbing within London’s already over sized sprawl let alone when that’s added to the population of the rest of the South Eastern Counties.The problem being simply that there just isn’t enough space to house all those who want to live here.At least in a way which would sustain anything like a decent quality of life.Which is why people are dying in high rise fires and market forces dictate the rest.

As for ghettoes for under paid workers that’s exactly what you’re obviously calling for and what we’ve got in the form of London’s historic development policies.In which its solution to its unsustainable population levels and resulting housing problem is yet more London and more population growth.That’ll fix it. :unamused:

tachograph:

Franglais:
If talking helps some others then I won’t condemn them for doing so. But equally I won’t be doing too much of it myself.
Because I find listening to the bereaved speak of their lost ones, difficult, doesn’t mean I want them to stop. I don’t have to listen to them any more than I have to listen to Katy Hopkins. I don’t expect either of them to shut up.

Frankly I don’t care whether they talk about it or not, if they need counselling I have no problem with that nor do I have a problem with the tax payer paying for it, however the spoken obituaries and people publicly seeking pity has absolutely nothing to do with the inquiry.

Sent from my mobile.

I agree it has little to do with the substance of the enquiry. But if these public statements help some of the victims, as victim statements in courts seem to, shouldn’t they be allowed?
The surviving residents aren’t the best to hold an enquiry or dictate it’s course, any more than victims or their relations judge or sentence in a criminal trial. But the public at large need confidence in process. We police and govern by consent, so (forgive the phrase) we need to “have the public on board”. If having these statements helps, (maybe not us) why not? The cost as a proportion of the whole is not great.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

RobRoy objects to what he sees as the excessive air time given to Grenfell, and complains.
OK free speech. Objection noted.
He also starts a thread on footie and says he doesn’t want anyone complaining about the thread and discussion around his pet subject…

[emoji2]
Just saying like.

Franglais:
RobRoy objects to what he sees as the excessive air time given to Grenfell, and complains.
He also starts a thread on footie and says he doesn’t want anyone complaining about the thread and discussion around his pet subject…

[emoji2]
Just saying like.

Not how I read it :neutral_face: It looked to me that Rob was (quite rightly imo) referring to the hypocrisy and fake grief exhibited on a nauseating almost continual loop.

Tacho & Albion are on the money as usual. I don’t recognise this country any more :frowning:

eagerbeaver:

Franglais:

[emoji2]
Just saying like.

Not how I read it :neutral_face: It looked to me that Rob was (quite rightly imo) referring to the hypocrisy and fake grief exhibited on a nauseating almost continual loop.

Tacho & Albion are on the money as usual. I don’t recognise this country any more :frowning:

I was being a tad mischievous there I’ll confess, EB.

Franglais:

[emoji2]
Just saying like.

Cheers mate, but it’s a bit like comparing apples with oranges. :neutral_face:
Tbf I merely pointed out that there were those who had no interest in football or the England squad, so after accepting that what was the point in commenting on it. :bulb:
If you really want to add to it if you have no interest Franglais, then fill yer (football) boots. :smiley:

Without getting too serious about it, your objections are invalid: why shouldn’t we compare two varieties of hand held fruit snacks? When we decide how to spend our small lottery win don’t we compare holidays to a new car? The air time given to footie IS comparable to the air time given to Grenfell.
Anyway I think you’re making a valid point about the public airing of emotion, and personally I don’t get on with it. The death of Diana and all the hoo-haa surrounding a car crash was incredible. No offence to her relatives, but a crash is a crash.
Back nearer to the topic, I’ve said already I wouldn’t get involved in the speech making, but am prepared to just step back and let those who want to, continue.

And I didn’t mention overpaid ponc…
■■■■. Almost didn’t anyway.
[emoji6]