George Davies

No iam not sure get them done when in office

Rose Davis, campaigner,and Wife of George Davis, was born May 19, 1941 she died of cancer on January 31, 2009 aged 67.

Source the Times February 5th 2009.

There is a 2/3rd of a page write up on her and husband and his exploits, which have been written about in previous posts.

Her book “The Wars of Rosie” is being published this month.

RIP…

Sugar Ray:
They used to have a Depot at Rugby on the Lawford Heath Est. Drivers i remember there were.

Bob Smith
Ron Mann
Nige Salisbury
Bob Shinn
Tom Smith
Bruce Todd

Before they went to lawford there first depot was at Fords Leamington spa
they then moved to Arthur Aplins yard on A45
leamington drivers brownie/keilei/Mcarthy
A45 drivers Dave Wiz/Geof Bedford /Danny Harris/Micky Kent/Beni/Micky Mills/Jason/Mcarthy/Jo ninety/Pete Harris all these moved upto lawford
Brownie/keilie/ were night fitters. 1975 Dave Wizz/ Danny harris left and got jobs with Mike Latham driving the Middle East

Regards Fleetclean

Hi, Some info on George Davies Liverpool
There 1st depot in the Midlands was at Fords foundry Leamington spa
They then moved to Arthur Aplins Yard on A45 by laughing dogs warehouse
Fred Smith was transport manager/the drivers at this depot were Dave Wizz/Mick Kent/Geof Bedford/Danny Harris/Pete Harris/Micky Mills/Beenie/Jason/Polish Lad and about 3 others i cant remember there names
They then move upto Long Lawford On the old aerodrome all the drivers moved with them
They opened a depot at Rainham and then at tilbury/thurock

Does any body remember JackSaunders Long itchington
I think all drivers in the late 50s/60s/ learnt the ropes with either Jack Saunders or Arthur Applins
1974 Dave Wizz/ Danny Harris got jobs with Lathams Delivering landrovers in Jumbo Tilts to the Middle East the rest is all history.
Good old days
Silver Foxy

fleetclean:
Fred Smith was transport manager/the drivers at this depot were Dave Wizz/Mick Kent/Geof Bedford/Danny Harris/Pete Harris/Micky Mills/Beenie/Jason/Polish Lad and about 3 others i cant remember there names
They then move upto Long Lawford On the old aerodrome all the drivers moved with them

I think all drivers in the late 50s/60s/ learnt the ropes with either Jack Saunders or Arthur Applins
1974 Dave Wizz/ Danny Harris got jobs with Lathams Delivering landrovers in Jumbo Tilts to the Middle East the rest is all history.
Good old days
Silver Foxy

the uk manager of gds was a scouser called fred smith ,his brother(whos name escapes me) was depot manager at studholm st liverpool but funnily enough his nickname was silver fox due to his long mane of slver grey hair.
cheers steve.

I worked out of Warley depot for about 18 months in the early 80s before being made redundant…i then progressed to the heady heights of Mair Transport at Tilbury.
The yard at Warley was shared with CP Ships who were running MAN s and Scanias if I remember rightly.
Drivers I can remember were
Curly
Lenny Lines
Stevie Paulton ?
Kenny Hipgrave
Henry
Tony Bones (CGM Contract) He was the main man as he was one of the few who had a sleeper cab :laughing:
Ace (cant remember his real name)He was on ACT contract
Kenny Vaughn…cant think of any more

Cant think of his surname but pretty sure the shop steward was a guy called Keith
I also cannot for the life of me think what the TMs name was

I went to the Bootle depot a few times…I remember that a driver from there killed a young kid in Liverpool…he was selling papers to the passing drivers and stepped into a gap between the diesel tank and the back wheels of the unit…the driver didnt see him and ran him over…cant remember the guys name.
I used to go to the Rugby depot and as we didnt have sleepers in the 1626s we used to get B & B at the Sleepy Sausage cafe just down the road.
All I can remember about the Leeds depot was that the Container lift driver was a proper miserable ■■■■ :laughing:

Blissy:
I worked out of Warley depot for about 18 months in the early 80s before being made redundant…i then progressed to the heady heights of Mair Transport at Tilbury.
The yard at Warley was shared with CP Ships who were running MAN s and Scanias if I remember rightly.
Drivers I can remember were
Curly
Lenny Lines
Stevie Paulton ?
Kenny Hipgrave
Henry
Tony Bones (CGM Contract) He was the main man as he was one of the few who had a sleeper cab :laughing:
Ace (cant remember his real name)He was on ACT contract
Kenny Vaughn…cant think of any more

Cant think of his surname but pretty sure the shop steward was a guy called Keith
I also cannot for the life of me think what the TMs name was

I went to the Bootle depot a few times…I remember that a driver from there killed a young kid in Liverpool…he was selling papers to the passing drivers and stepped into a gap between the diesel tank and the back wheels of the unit…the driver didnt see him and ran him over…cant remember the guys name.
I used to go to the Rugby depot and as we didnt have sleepers in the 1626s we used to get B & B at the Sleepy Sausage cafe just down the road.
All I can remember about the Leeds depot was that the Container lift driver was a proper miserable [zb] :laughing:

hiya blissy,tm’s name was dave jolley.also in the office was micky liddle and paul sullivan.ace was mick smith and the s/steward kieth jones.im on your list 3rd one down so who are you?? some other drivers then were jon dove,bob and roy summers,russ bland, mick lake,terry myers,johnny edwards
cheers steve.

Hiya Steve…Its Martin Bliss…I think it was 81/82 when I was on there,after I got made redundant I went on Mairs and then ended up buying my own motor…still an O/D now.
Didnt you end up going on the car transporters or am i mixing you up with someone else.
Now that youve reminded me of his name I remember that Keith Jones took me out on a driving test when I applied for the job there…I crunched that chinese six gearbox all the way down the A127 to Basildon and back and I think the only reason he passed me was becoz my mate Ray Craddock on CP Ships growled at him and told him to give me a chance. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Blissy:
Hiya Steve…Its Martin Bliss…I think it was 81/82 when I was on there,after I got made redundant I went on Mairs and then ended up buying my own motor…still an O/D now.
Didnt you end up going on the car transporters or am i mixing you up with someone else.
Now that youve reminded me of his name I remember that Keith Jones took me out on a driving test when I applied for the job there…I crunched that chinese six gearbox all the way down the A127 to Basildon and back and I think the only reason he passed me was becoz my mate Ray Craddock on CP Ships growled at him and told him to give me a chance. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hi martin,i realised who you were today at work,last time i saw you was in felixstowe must have been over 15yrs ago as i was on cartransport (lawsons and walon) that long.first day on the co-op today feel like a newbie!
ray craddocks got about 6 lorries now.hope its all going well for you.
cheers steve.

A couple of guys in the office were Jimmy Kirkby (32 years service) last known of doing part time for George at Denholm Leeds after a short stint at Atkins of Derby & Alan Evans (28 years) who moved onto CMA but died a couple of years ago, Barbera Cavadino also at Liverpool & Fred Joyce was at Tilbury & Marion Hooper-Greenhill? at Felixstowe

hi kev,dont know if you are still on here but here are a few of my geo.davies pics.
not very good i know but the first picture of my 3300 daf was taken while waiting to load at wrigleys chewing gum near plymouth about 1988.
the next two are at felixstowe waiting to load guided missiles for the m.o.d and taking them to some place just over the border near gretna,ironbrige i think.me and my mate mick lake had to sign the official secrets act for that job(probably get locked up now!!)

pollystag:

fleetclean:

Good old days
Silver Foxy

the uk manager of gds was a scouser called fred smith ,his brother(whos name escapes me) was depot manager at studholm st liverpool but funnily enough his nickname was silver fox due to his long mane of slver grey hair.
cheers steve.

was it syd smith and the main man over a few depot,s was martin cook

thats him sid smith he was a nice bloke.
fred smith ended up at trans-world at widnes wonder if he’s still there?
steve. ps why have my pics disapeared??

pollystag:
thats him sid smith he was a nice bloke.
fred smith ended up at trans-world at widnes wonder if he’s still there?
steve. ps why have my pics disapeared??

At a guess you’ve moved them from your Photobucket album, or put them in an album that isn’t recognised, I did the same, I thought once they were posted onto a forum I could delete them from the growing Photobucket album, if you do they won’t show on the forum any more.

I took a couple of pics of G.D. Mercs in the OK cafe on the A12 in the 80s, it takes me a while to dig out pics but I get there in the end, when I find them I’ll put them on.

just try again

truckspark:

pollystag:

fleetclean:

Good old days
Silver Foxy

cheers steve.

was it syd smith and the main man over a few depot,s was martin cook

I was born in stockton and a number of members of my family worked for Jack Saunders including my late father I have some 8mm footage of sauders vehicles. The building of the garage in about 1965 and a shot of the artics in about 1968. I have personal memories of the very early days at Saunders. As a small boy spent many a school holiday in one of his either |Foden or Atkinsons.