George Davies

I remember George Davis Is Innocent graffitti on nearly every wall & bridge in East Londoin in the 70s is that the same one :question: & what was it it that he didn’t do :question:

Wasn’t it later proven that George Davis wasn’t innocent (of murder)? IIRC.

In 1974 33 year old George Davis was convicted of robbing the payroll of the London Electricity Board in Ilford.
He was nailed on the evidence of cops who were outside the bank at the time of the robbery and was sent to prison for 20 years.
However, his friend Peter Chappell was convinced Davis was innocent and inspired by discrepancies in the police statements and the fact that none of the bloodstains at the scene matched with the defendant, started calling for Davis’ release.
Chappall enrolled some friends and embarked on one of the largest sustained grafitti campaigns Britain has ever seen. Over the following months ‘G DAVIS IS INNOCENT’ appeared on walls, bridges and tunnels from one side of London to the other, some of which are still visible today.
The vandalism culminated in Chappell and four others breaking into Headingley cricket ground in August 1975 the night before a test match between England and Australia. Using plastic cutlery from a service station they dug holes in the pitch, filled them with oil and painted ‘Sorry it had to be done, but George Davis is innocent’ in large white letters on the wall as they left.
The match was postponed and Chappell got 18 months for criminal damage.
The campaign brought the case to the attention of the Home Secretary who after a police inquiry released Davis two years into his sentence using the highly exceptional and controversial Royal Prerogative of Mercy.
The fight to free George Davis was one of the most spetacular campaigns ever fought against injustice, an achievement only slightly marred when a year after his release Davis was found guilty of robbing the Bank of Cyprus for which he served six years, and three years after which he was caught red-handed robbing a mail train.
George Davis is now a free man and happily married to the daughter of a North London Chief Inspector of Police.
The fight to free George Davis was one of the most spetacular campaigns ever fought against injustice, an achievement only slightly marred when a year after his release Davis was found guilty of robbing the Bank of Cyprus for which he served six years, and three years after which he was caught red-handed robbing a mail train.
George Davis is now a free man and happily married to the daughter of a North London Chief Inspector of Police.

Glutton for punishment if you ask me.

Still cant find any!!! so annoying :frowning:

I always thought GD was fitted up for the robbery at The Barn restaurant at Braintree, where i think i’m right in saying they shot the Wife of the owner, time does fog the mind though.

got a mate who used to drive for davies at Leeds, I’ll ask if he has any pics.
All the other guys who worked there are sadly dead now.

Thanks Del, great.
i know its sad, time, wheres it go, dad is 77 now!!

Kev

I have a sneaky feeling that some of their mercs finished up in Cyprus, certainly one or two of Sanmar’s did.

They used to have a Depot at Rugby on the Lawford Heath Est. Drivers i remember there were.

Bob Smith
Ron Mann
Nige Salisbury
Bob Shinn
Tom Smith
Bruce Todd

kevakat:
Thanks Del, great.
i know its sad, time, wheres it go, dad is 77 now!!

Kev

hi kev ,whats yr dads name i was there from 1977-89. ive got some pics somewhere when i find em i will try and put them on here.
nice to here norman bishops still around.im sure ginger dave with the goatie beard is still working for p&o.
KW del reeves was never shop steward when he started the ink was still wet on his licience,i think he was ex old bill who had a career change!!
steve.

Ive got somepictures of warley i got from my uncle he had motors running from there and you can see big j and crusaders in the background will get them on here

Sugar Ray:
They used to have a Depot at Rugby on the Lawford Heath Est. Drivers i remember there were.

Bob Smith
Ron Mann
Nige Salisbury
Bob Shinn
Tom Smith
Bruce Todd

Jeff Bedford, didn’t he work for Davies at Rugby at sometime.

hi kev ,whats yr dads name i was there from 1977-89. ive got some pics somewhere when i find em i will try and put them on here.
nice to here norman bishops still around.im sure ginger dave with the goatie beard is still working for p&o.
KW del reeves was never shop steward when he started the ink was still wet on his licience,i think he was ex old bill who had a career change!!
steve.

Hi Steve,

“Kevin Kelly” Sadly, dad passed away a few weeks before xmas, :frowning:

Kev

George Davies became Dual Carriage (Vesty Group), it was then taken over by John Parkinson who owned TR Trailers about 1996 and went bust 1999, TR Trailers restarted as Trailer Express and still run out of Birkenhead

wasn’t he the bloke who was murdered in some gangland tiff, or am i completely barking (up the woring tree that is?) :laughing:

jj72:
wasn’t he the bloke who was murdered in some gangland tiff, or am i completely barking (up the woring tree that is?) :laughing:

you pick me up on codger and todger and there you are with woring. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kevakat:

steve.

Hi Steve,

“Kevin Kelly” Sadly, dad passed away a few weeks before xmas, :frowning:

Kev

hi kev,sad to here about your dad,i remember he was a bit of a character
dont think he was there long,didnt he have a row with the the office and jacked in by leaving his wagon on the hard shoulder of the m1 near toddington?

newmercman:
I remember George Davis Is Innocent graffitti on nearly every wall & bridge in East Londoin in the 70s is that the same one :question: & what was it it that he didn’t do :question:

George Davis Is Innocent was also a record by Sham 69

mrken:
Ive got somepictures of warley i got from my uncle he had motors running from there and you can see big j and crusaders in the background will get them on here

hi mrken,what about them photo’s then??
i have a few but i havn’t a clue how to get them on here!!
cheers steve.