From When Top Gear Was A Serious Motoring Show

Interesting piece about the early days of double deck trailers. Also interesting how I would guess it took as much as ten years from then for them really to reach the tipping point where they started to become properly widespread and established.

(5:33)

Pub quiz question: Who wrote the music at the end of nineties Top Gear?

(The outro where they always said something like ‘In next week’s show Chris Goffey samples the very best the Detroit Motor Show has to offer whilst Quentin Willson asks if Rover’s new make or break 200 coupe has really done enough to compete in a market now dominated by the Japanese’.)

No link there

edd1974:
No link there

There now

Thank me later for leading you into ■■■■■■■ away hours watching old episodes of Top Gear you probably saw the first time round thirty years ago.

Interesting article. It mentioned the bays had to be modified for the double decker’s to enable loading the top deck. Im sure in the last warehouse I worked at they just lowered the top deck loaded it up then raised it back up then loaded the bottom deck. Were dock levellers not around then or were there improvements in the trailers before they caught on.
coop

Own Account Driver:
Interesting piece about the early days of double deck trailers. Also interesting how I would guess it took as much as ten years from then for them really to reach the tipping point where they started to become properly widespread and established.

(5:33)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GF9MLhH4A

Pub quiz question: Who wrote the music at the end of nineties Top Gear?

(The outro where they always said something like ‘In next week’s show Chris Goffey samples the very best the Detroit Motor Show has to offer whilst Quentin Willson asks if Rover’s new make or break 200 coupe has really done enough to compete in a market now dominated by the Japanese’.)

Haven’t watched it for years but at one time it was ‘Jessica’ by the fantastic Allman Brothers, most of whom are sadly no longer with us.? It was once a decent programme, Angela Rippon was the first presenter and was very good.

Pete.

Did the double deck tanker system.he mention catch on?
Never don’t tankers so.dont know.
Obviously double decker rigid didn’t.
Nice piece of history I like watching old programmes seeing the old cars etc
. Brings back memories

cooper1203:
Interesting article. It mentioned the bays had to be modified for the double decker’s to enable loading the top deck. Im sure in the last warehouse I worked at they just lowered the top deck loaded it up then raised it back up then loaded the bottom deck. Were dock levellers not around then or were there improvements in the trailers before they caught on.
coop

That wasn’t the problem. The problem was that most bays had a small canopy around them, only sticking out about a foot from the building wall but enough to cause a problem so at every RDC that had those they had to convert a few bays with taller canopies.

edd1974:
. Brings back memories

I’ve not seen many.

Then again putting tonne pallets of sugar on a top deck with an empty bottom deck (the tank)… what could possibly go wrong :laughing:

edd1974:
. Brings back memories

I’m sure I’ve seen a double decker rigid recently. Was a big company too. I remember thinking I’m glad I dont have to drive it, which is why its stuck in my mind.

Nite Owl:

edd1974:
. Brings back memories

I’m sure I’ve seen a double decker rigid recently. Was a big company too. I remember thinking I’m glad I dont have to drive it, which is why its stuck in my mind.

Waste companies like stericycle use rigids, and maybe spar blakemore have some?

I think that city link trailer in the video is still in use at B&M knowsley