Fodens.

Frankydobo:
It doesn’t give a figure and as the book is written by Foden’s Service Manager I don’t suppose he would want to really reveal the numbers which reading between the lines may not have been many, it seems the venture only went ahead on the hope that the NCB would place a big order, which I wonder why they didn’t, not even one. These sort of failed orders could well have sunk a manufacturer that didn’t have the sort of sales on other models as Foden had at the time, there must have been some blue air in the boardroom with this one! Franky.

Rum doings Franky. But I seem to feel Foden were the firm that could do it. In a good way mind.

2f8cce0b7e7b131a2fc117ee7beafcdc.jpg
Looks an handful. Is that the best air filter ever or what?

A few adverts “Coomsey”

coomsey:

Standard Foden dumper air filter there.

Pete.

DEANB:
A few adverts “Coomsey”

S80/83 cab suited coal bodies I reckon

windrush:

coomsey:

Standard Foden dumper air filter there.

Pete.

New one on me Pete, can’t say I took much notice of air filters, cept the one in the octopus cab. But that one is the biz it says to all that spy it "I ■■■■ AIR!! "

15c67c16731299cc251276c4c0c4fc79.jpg
Not long left for her now I feel

coomsey:

Originally a tipper and the Late Nick Hall was the driver. When new it came fitted with multiplate springs front and rear, I was tasked with the job of changing all eight for Taperlites before it went on the road. Later it had the cab rebuilt after a smash and then Nick was given an X reg Sed AK 400 with a Rolls engine, bulk body and a bed for distance work (reg number PDT 17X from memory) and the Foden then had a bitumen tank fitted to it taken from a S39 for collecting bitumen from Four Ashes and Coalville. Later again (as seen in the pic) it had a powder tank fitted for emptying the bins on the tarmac plants.

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:

Originally a tipper and the Late Nick Hall was the driver. When new it came fitted with multiplate springs front and rear, I was tasked with the job of changing all eight for Taperlites before it went on the road. Later it had the cab rebuilt after a smash and then Nick was given an X reg Sed AK 400 with a Rolls engine, bulk body and a bed for distance work (reg number PDT 17X from memory) and the Foden then had a bitumen tank fitted to it taken from a S39 for collecting bitumen from Four Ashes and Coalville. Later again (as seen in the pic) it had a powder tank fitted for emptying the bins on the tarmac plants.

Pete.

Knew you’d sort it Pete. By coincidence I live 2mls from bitumen plant, Bardon?. So may well have seen her

image.jpegAn ERF and a fodshed

Couple of Fodens taken today at Burnley Heavy model equipment show.

e7a7fc1433e28e0520dca65534321474.jpg
Bit of an oddosity

Breweries did tend to purchase or order vehicles to suit their operations, I recall when I drove for Fergusons Transport they bought some ex brewery Tautliners only 13ft high and they tapered towards the roof, lovely to pull and very handy for some of the work we did. Franky.

729bb6e75b1f5462e829731c9bcea1b4.jpg
Now that’s what I’d call a sleeper cab!!

Tidy Foden !

DEANB:
Tidy Foden !

Wouldn’t need any ale for that one Dean

DEANB:
Tidy Foden !

Takes me back to my childhood with Butlers I remember 8 of these all brand new with power steering coming,the drivers upgrading from the S36 model.Great times loved the sound of the Gardner engine coupled to fodens 12 speed box,i can still remember it now.

coomsey:

I know that Jennings the Sandbach bodybuilders were owned by ERF & wonder if the Foden ERF rivalry stopped Foden letting Jennings build on their chassis but this vehicle has a strong look as though the cab & body was built by Jennings

a1eccbf3739801345c2242df47a1d4b3.jpg

Carl Williams:

coomsey:

I know that Jennings the Sandbach bodybuilders were owned by ERF & wonder if the Foden ERF rivalry stopped Foden letting Jennings build on their chassis but this vehicle has a strong look as though the cab & body was built by Jennings

I don’t know the ins n outs of it but someone will. Stands well I think, did she survive?

What a line up. Not my pic