Fodens.

Foden article from 1980

Click on pages twice to read.

One more from Israel. Lorry was probably on its way from the Jordan Valley to Haifa when the accident happened judging by the operator (Western Galilee co-op). Re troubles at Fodens: All Israeli export took place after the PACCAR purchase and sold locally by Kenworth-Foden Agencies, local KW dealers. I’m almost 100% certain all Israeli Fodens had very “American” specs (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ but there a few with Sisu rear axles, and mostly were either 6X4s or 8X4s.

Advert.

DEANB:
Advert.

She stands well Dean

coomsey:

DEANB:
Advert.

She stands well Dean

Yes a tidy looking motor coomsey ! Heres another.

DEANB:

coomsey:

DEANB:
Advert.

She stands well Dean

Yes a tidy looking motor coomsey ! Heres another.

S39best for me but these a close second Dean Always thought 8whlrs with coal body or tank best lookers, not now though cabs are too big

Moose:
0[attachment1Got myself another!

Lol someone called in this afternoon said they just seen me in parwich :laughing:

One more Israeli overload special (pic by Alex Zaro), still at work as water cart.

ERF-NGC-European:

The early S50’s had that dropdown plate on the nearside but it was soon discontinued with and left open. None of ours (all J and K reg) had them fitted.

Pete.

The plate does look a bit of an abortion, maybe handy for the maint staff but like some of the Dennis appliances we had in Tyne and Wear with similar drop down steps they could be a danger when one of the two gas struts keeping them up failed and the step dropped while on the move, we had to fit all sorts of catches and locks and warning buzzers after that so although handy to get that extra height and reach when working on them, they weren’t really worth the trouble, Foden may well have found this too. Franky.

Frankydobo:
The plate does look a bit of an abortion, maybe handy for the maint staff but like some of the Dennis appliances we had in Tyne and Wear with similar drop down steps they could be a danger when one of the two gas struts keeping them up failed and the step dropped while on the move, we had to fit all sorts of catches and locks and warning buzzers after that so although handy to get that extra height and reach when working on them, they weren’t really worth the trouble, Foden may well have found this too. Franky.

That is the inside of the plate showing in the pic Franky, they were smooth and had a moulding across them to match the one on the front panel. Mirror arm is different as well to the ones we ran. The front bumpers were changed as well, later there was a towing jaw recessed into it and the starting handle went through the centre of it.

Pete.

26620428084_fde6beda74_b.jpg

Not my pic, and a fictional livery on the same truck as in the b/w photo!

Ah I see now looking at your pic Windrush, I thought the panel on the first pic folded down over to form some sort of step to reach the engine, thought I hadn’t seen that before and why it seemed odd, maybe it did cause problems or it was felt it just wasn’t necessary, cheers for that. Franky.

Ron Barraclough of Barnsley had one of these, painted red and ivory with reg. no. THE 201H on glass bottle work from Redfearns Glassworks, among other jobs. Rumour has it that it spent its early life doing Continentals, and was re-cabbed later - can anybody confirm that?

4318c76da28cff56e6db7ab9b6c73aa7.jpg
Looker shame about the trailer

25e9dbf2b91c2c2348b0f6f446a57ba2.jpg
New one on me, didn’t know they did a long nosed one. Anybody know what’s what?
And what on earth is on the end of the steering column, not wheel or driver thank you very much!

Its a Foden FR6/45 Dump truck which was designed from new and with components that were not compatible with other models which Foden tended to do. Designed around 1958 in reply to an interest from the National Coal Board to build a British Dump Truck mainly for open cast use to replace their older US built Dumpers, although in the end they did not come forward with a confirmed order. It had a 300hp Turbo Rolls Royce engine, a specially designed new Foden 3 speed gearbox and 3 stage Torque converter, Kirkstall 15 Ton front and 30 Ton rear axles with an overall spiral bevel and hub reduction ratio of 18.4 to 1. Max payload was 28 Tons on a 18 cuyd body, 18.00 x 25.00 28 ply rock lug tyres with twins on the rear. A single ram high speed tipping gear to lift to a max of 85 degrees, it also had front suspension similar to a model T Ford with transverse springs mounted each side of the axle. The vehicle with its new designs and innovations performed well on test, fortunately other users of Foden dump trucks were impressed and bought numbers of the vehicle, Earls Cement, Thomas and Baldwin to name a couple, however the cost of development and production could not be justified by the limited sales and being new from nose to tail with none of the components being used in other vehicle ranges it was a costly endeavour only balanced by the level of sales from the standard range of goods vehicles and other special types customers required. Hope that gave you the answers Coomsey, as to the steering there is no mention in my book but I would assume it is the steering box mounted in that position owing to the front axle suspension layout used. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Its a Foden FR6/45 Dump truck which was designed from new and with components that were not compatible with other models which Foden tended to do. Designed around 1958 in reply to an interest from the National Coal Board to build a British Dump Truck mainly for open cast use to replace their older US built Dumpers, although in the end they did not come forward with a confirmed order. It had a 300hp Turbo Rolls Royce engine, a specially designed new Foden 3 speed gearbox and 3 stage Torque converter, Kirkstall 15 Ton front and 30 Ton rear axles with an overall spiral bevel and hub reduction ratio of 18.4 to 1. Max payload was 28 Tons on a 18 cuyd body, 18.00 x 25.00 28 ply rock lug tyres with twins on the rear. A single ram high speed tipping gear to lift to a max of 85 degrees, it also had front suspension similar to a model T Ford with transverse springs mounted each side of the axle. The vehicle with its new designs and innovations performed well on test, fortunately other users of Foden dump trucks were impressed and bought numbers of the vehicle, Earls Cement, Thomas and Baldwin to name a couple, however the cost of development and production could not be justified by the limited sales and being new from nose to tail with none of the components being used in other vehicle ranges it was a costly endeavour only balanced by the level of sales from the standard range of goods vehicles and other special types customers required. Hope that gave you the answers Coomsey, as to the steering there is no mention in my book but I would assume it is the steering box mounted in that position owing to the front axle suspension layout used. Cheers Franky.

Think you got it covered there Franky cheers Paul
Any idea how many they sold?

It doesn’t give a figure and as the book is written by Foden’s Service Manager I don’t suppose he would want to really reveal the numbers which reading between the lines may not have been many, it seems the venture only went ahead on the hope that the NCB would place a big order, which I wonder why they didn’t, not even one. These sort of failed orders could well have sunk a manufacturer that didn’t have the sort of sales on other models as Foden had at the time, there must have been some blue air in the boardroom with this one! Franky.

The manual states that the steering, power cylinder, is directly mounted on the external casing to avoid shock loads on the “steering segment”. As you all say it’s a weird looking set-up, but a Foden design.