Ferry mode

Harry Monk:
I can tell you that you can’t use it on the Dover-Calais/ Dunkerque ferries.

Journeys involving ferry or train transport
If your vehicle is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.

A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice by other activities not exceeding one hour in total. This allows you to drive the vehicle onto a ferry and off at the end of a sea crossing. If your rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours. You must have a bunk or couchette available during the rest period.

I think this depends very much on who stops you, used it on Tuesday this week from Calais to Dover then got pulled in Holyhead on Wednesday the guy there had no problem with it, let go after 30 minutes and no donations :smiley:

dmradu:
Okay, I understand, so it is, but some drivers go immediately after the rest period.
In this case, other work should last 10-20 minutes.

On a Sunday morning, when I start my working week, it takes me about 15 minutes.
The rest of the week, while I’m touring Switzerland or Germany, it takes about 5.

ShropsBri:
Here you go,found what you think you may need courtesy of the missing Coffee…

by Coffeeholic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 am

Right I’m finished driving for the shift so I can answer now.

Arrive in the port, book on and get in the lane to wait for boarding.

Switch tacho mode to rest and set end country. Leave card in.

First part of daily rest.

When it us time to board go into the menu and scroll to the ferry/train option. Press OK. This is the digital equivalent of the pen we used to use to write on the chart to explain why we had interrupted our rest. It’s just a digital pen to mark the data and not some magical mode.

Board ferry, mode will change to driving.

On board change more switch to rest.

Second part of rest.

Two options now on completion of the crossing.

1. If you have not had 11 hours rest in total, go back into the menu and press OK for the ferry/train option. Still just a digital pen, no magic mode in play here.

Disembark, park up and switch mode to rest.

Third and final part of rest.

When 11 hours rest completed change mode to other work. Set begin country and crack on.

Or

1. If you have completed 11 hours rest change mode to other work, set begin country, disembark and crack on.

All the normal rest rules still apply, rest must be within the 24-hour period, and you must have at least 11 hours if rest. This means to allow for the rest plus the time for the interruptions you cannot do more than about 12 - 12.5 hours duty before getting to the port.

The two interruptions must total no more than 1 hour.

Also note you must have access to a bunk or couchette for all parts of the rest so you cannot use this on the shuttle or Dover/Calais crossings. And no, those long chairs on Norfolk Line or the Spirit of Britain are neither bunks nor couchettes.

Linda, 07/06/1959 - 25/05/2011 It’s not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It’s what you leave behind you when you go.

My Spare Time - Photography

There is no advantage to using a broker, book your LGV training direct with a trainer.

CoffeeholicMODERATOR Posts: 24217Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:47 pmLocation: Valley of the Shadow of Death, do not resuscitate.

If this isn’t enough just put feery or ship into the search.
Regards.

I agreed with this. But I have a dispute with someone. Does anyone know where I could find the law about using the ferry option? Or if is a thing about this?
I know that it is logical to say that the rest is interrupted, but the man just wants the law.

Sorry about that.

I must be doing it wrong but the Tacho software at work flagged up an issue over this:

08:30 start. Max 3hr drive and breaks/other work
15:00 get to port and park in queue side of harbour, Select ferry mode and break.
20:00 drive onto boat 1min drive then stop, select ferry mode and break.
01:00 drive off boat for 30mins park in layby, select ferry mode put on break.
03:30 drive back to yard park up 06:30 break.

Im sure its something retarded on my behalf but oh well.

mrginge:
I must be doing it wrong but the Tacho software at work flagged up an issue over this:

15:00 get to port and park in queue side of harbour, Select ferry mode and break.

Sounds like you’re legal, but not sure about how you’re using the tacho?
You’ve selected ferry mode 3 times? Maybe that’s why it doesn’t like it?
When I stop on quay I select rest and book off. When about to shunt onto boat I hit the ferry mode. Rest again when stopped. Debarquing hit ferry mode before shunt off, and then rest when stopped, to finish off rest period.
Stoneridge Exakt Duo accepts that ok.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

mrginge:

You’re selecting ferry mode at the wrong time which is why you’re getting infringements. The ferry mode is only to indicate you’re interrupting a rest period to board/disembark a ferry, so in your example it should be like this;

15.00 park in lanes at port and end shift/go onto break as normal.
20.00 select ferry mode, drive onto boat and tachograph back on break once boarded.
01.00 select ferry mode, disembark ferry and back on break once parked to complete daily rest.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, just noticed what I wrote is pretty much what Franglais already said above for how he does it…must read all posts fully :blush:

Thank you gentleman, I thought as much I was probably over doing ferry mode - safety first making sure if I got a pull they definitely knew I was on a ferry ha.

Another problem I seem to have is interrupting daily rest for less than a hour. Getting off a ferry @ Portsmouth is nigh on impossible to complete in less than an hour. Even more so when 2 ferries dock at the same time

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

superscaniaV8:
Another problem I seem to have is interrupting daily rest for less than a hour. Getting off a ferry @ Portsmouth is nigh on impossible to complete in less than an hour. Even more so when 2 ferries dock at the same time

Agree it is a problem. If youre getting off one of the afternoon crossings that dock in the evening, 90mins plus is quite possible. Sometimes the queue means trucks cant actually get off the boat.
Why the ferries are scheduled to arrive within 15 mins of each other seems a mystery to me?

And don`t mention the “Bre…” word! Only an extra few minutes for each vehicle…yeah, right.

Totally agree. If your not in pole position on the ferry your buggered basically. All I do now is a printout & keep the cabin key. Then hope & pray Mr Vosa or our Euro friends understand

Franglais:

superscaniaV8:

Agree it is a problem. If youre getting off one of the afternoon crossings that dock in the evening, 90mins plus is quite possible. Sometimes the queue means trucks cant actually get off the boat.
Why the ferries are scheduled to arrive within 15 mins of each other seems a mystery to me?

And don`t mention the “Bre…” word! Only an extra few minutes for each vehicle…yeah, right.

SuperScania, best thing to do in that scenario is leave it on break till the very last minute, but I know what you mean, it can be a pain.

This is what you need, ferry mode is like unicorns and doesn’t exist