Trains, planes and ferries

What’s the rules for interrupting daily rest with regards embarking and disembarking trains and ferries?

Ferry mode on the tacho? :laughing:

Runs for cover

You can interrupt it twice, totalling no more than an hour. And your rest must still be completed within 24 hours of the start of your shift

Hope this helps :wink:

matt3903:
You can interrupt it twice, totalling no more than an hour. And your rest must still be completed within 24 hours of the start of your shift

i don’t think that’s quite right.
as far as i’m concerned, you can do a 15 hour day, start your rest, move onto the ferry, rest, then off the ferry, park up and continue the rest.
the rest must total 11 hours, but i don’t think it has to be completed in 24 hours.

You can only do it on the Dover Dunkirk boat.

jessicas dad:
You can only do it on the Dover Dunkirk boat.

why?

You can’t use the Ferry Mode thing on any of the Dover ferries because you don’t have access to a bunk which is one of the requirements.

NTSA :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82096&hilit=ferry+rest

The absent Herr Hobbs explains all ^^^

limeyphil:

matt3903:

i don’t think that’s quite right.
as far as i’m concerned, you can do a 15 hour day, start your rest, move onto the ferry, rest, then off the ferry, park up and continue the rest.
the rest must total 11 hours, but i don’t think it has to be completed in 24 hours.

Everything must be completed within 24 hours Phil unless you are multi manned

Hence the reason Herr Hobbs always used to say about the maximum duty possible when using a ferry was about 12 hours as stated in Article 9

A driver may interrupt a REGULAR daily rest period not more than twice with duties other than rest, this interruption may last no longer than one hour and the driver must have access to a bunk or couchette.

Within each period of 24 hours after the daily rest or weekly rest a driver shall have completed a new daily rest period.

Harry Monk:
You can’t use the Ferry Mode thing on any of the Dover ferries because you don’t have access to a bunk which is one of the requirements.

what are those big brown loungers classed as? i thought couchet?
but the most important point is, will any vosa officer go and check?

Harry Monk:

It’s been cleared before on here that as the dov dun boat is the only one with what’s classed as couchettes.

So can I get to Folkestone on 13 hours out it on rest or ferry. On off train on 15 1/2 hours and finish my rest period 8 1/2 hours in Calais.

Mr B:
So can I get to Folkestone on 13 hours out it on rest or ferry. On off train on 15 1/2 hours and finish my rest period 8 1/2 hours in Calais.

No you can’t use the eurotunnel for part of a daily rest period…

ONLY THE DOVER DUNKIRK FERRY.

jessicas dad:

Harry Monk:

It’s been cleared before on here that as the dov dun boat is the only one with what’s classed as couchettes.

No, they are glorified sun loungers. A couchette is specifically a bunk on a European train, you can’t have a couchette on a boat.

Why not? Surely if the regs say youre allowed to move once what’s the difference

Mr B:
Why not? Surely if the regs say youre allowed to move once what’s the difference

See above re access to a bunk or couchette

Mr B:

no 13 hrs duty time! Interrupt your 11hr daily rest period twice ( on, off ) park up on the other side! It’s that easy!!! :grimacing: tacho to FERRY MODE ( on, off) EASY :unamused: :bulb: :grimacing: