Ferry crossing and driving/rest hours

Not a problem barrykam, happy to help. Enjoy your trip

Franglais:

ROG:
Am I correct in saying that the ferry ‘mode’ should be done just before each of the two movements :question:

I always book off when stopped at port. As Rog says, I select ferry move when about to move, then select rest again when stationary on the deck, or whatever. Same for 2nd move if necessary. Had no issues with this. It`s a 2year old Stoneridge tacho, and it gives a countdown of available movement time from 60mins.

This is correct, you don’t use ferry mode to cover the rest periods, but to cover the interruptions in the rest period, so you select ferry mode just before the interruption. I have done it both ways, ferry mode on rest, will show an infringement on my tacho analysis software, before the interruption shows up as ferry mode.

whelmic:
Also remember that the 11 hours rest + 1 hour movements must occur within 24 hours of starting your previous shift

Correct so if you have been on duty for more than 13hrs by the time you reach the port, you can’t use the ferry mode without getting the obligatory infringement for not taking enough daily rest within the mandatory 24hr period, Regardless of how much driving time you have accumulated during that 24hr period IIRC, If multi manned this would be different, because it would have to all fit into a 30hr period

When i have used the ferry function i only used it for moving on /off the ferry So arrive at port book in get ticket cabin card, park in correct lane ,set tacho on break ( start of daily rest) , when called to embark onto ferry use ferry mode , 1 interruption , once parked on vehicle deck , set back to rest mode, when back in cab when time to disembark the ferry, again set to ferry mode again from rest, until i reach a safe /suitable parking place within the remaining time left in the permitted max 1hr period allowed then continue with my 11hr daily rest period. the rules being it, must fit within the 24hrs period

So adding any time onto the 11hrs is pointless and doesn’t count as daily rest if it takes you outside the 24hr period, so could cause an unnecessary delay or missed booking in time, resulting in grieve from the boss, or worse still if you are an owner-driver should they refuse to tip you

Don’t forget when arriving at port and starting break to put end country ,and when starting off again start country ,
11 break plus whatever time 2 interruptions come to .

pierrot 14:

barrykam:
No disrespect to any of you but as there still seems to be conflicting answers I did abit of digging and found the following which rings a bell as to what I was taught:

i. The daily rest period may be interrupted, but only twice, allowing the vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off at the end of the sea crossing. However, this will depend on the length of the ferry crossing
ii. Any interruption in rest must be as short as possible and must exceed no more than 1 hour
iii. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours.
iv. During the rest period, the driver(s) must have access to a bunk or couchette
v. Time spent on a ferryboat or train which is not treated as daily rest can be treated as a break

Can’t see how you are confused ■■

pierrot 14:
Arrive at port , get ticket etc and park up, lets say 10.45. Put it on break.
Start to move to board at 12.15, that gives you 1hr30 break so far. :::::::::::::1.30
On board put it back to break and switch to ferry mode, now 12.30.
Called back to vehicle on arrival start to move at 20.30, another 8 hrs.:::::::::::8.00

You’ve done 9hrs30 so far, so now you have to go park up in the port and put it on break for another 1hr30.

Don’t forget you are allowed only 2 movements within that eleven hour period and it must not be more than one hour. Your first movement was 15 minutes, so if it isn’t possible to park up in the port, you have maximum of 45 minutes to go find somewhere to park up.

tachograph:

barrykam:
Gents, forgive me if it’s a stupid question but my transport manager has just confused the hell out of me. I have a ferry tomorrow from Poland to Sweden. The ferry departs at 1300 and is due to arrive at 2015. I will arrive at the port at approx 1030 and will put my tacho straight onto the Ferry setting. I will board the ferry and say that will take 20 minutes, getting off the ferry probably another 20 minutes.
Am I correct in saying that I should then go and park up until 2130 to give me my 11 hour daily rest or should I park up until 2130 + the 40 minutes for me moving to get on and off the ferry?
Thanks for any advice.

The part I’ve coloured blue is the correct answer :wink:

You must have 11 hours rest on top of the movements onto and off the ferry, so if you start the daily rest period when you reach the port at 10:30 and spend a total of 40 minutes getting on and off the ferry you will can’t start the next shift until 22:10.

In other words the interruptions to the daily rest period cannot be counted as part of the daily rest period.

You have it wrong. Ferry mode is used to indicate that a daily rest is been interupted. You select ferry mode BEFORE you interupt your daily rest to move onto the boat, not when on the boat! You can use ferry mode on a boat if you need to interupt your daily rest to disembark.

ROG:
Am I correct in saying that the ferry ‘mode’ should be done just before each of the two movements :question:

Yes. You’re sitting on a quey or boat on rest waiting to embark or disembarked. Ferry mode marks the Tacho to indicate that you are going to interupt what you are currently doing, which is resting. Once on board the boat you put the Tacho back on rest… because you are now continuing your rest.

I get 8 boats a week from Ireland to Holland 4 of which usually require a ship movement and have never had problems with VOSA, BAG, the French or anyone else.

irha.ie/images/pdf_members/E … _Ferry.pdf

bossman:
Don’t forget when arriving at port and starting break to put end country ,and when starting off again start country ,

11 hours in total including movements is what we are told here

OwenMoney:

bossman:

Journeys involving ferry or train transport
Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.

“A regular daily rest period, that is one of 11 hours duration or 12 hours if split, may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off again at the end of the crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be at least 11 hours or 12 hours if split. A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.”
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

From the horse`s mouth. Total rest of 11hrs, so the interruption must be made up.

OwenMoney:

bossman:

You’re been told wrong, the daily rest period from beginning to end must be at-least 11 hours plus the length of any interruptions.

Can’t post the link (forum rules) but we wrote an article about this recently. Google “Freightlink ferry mode”.

If there’s anything that needs adding to this article (example trip, more info etc) then we’d appreciate the feedback.

As I have just (Thursday last week) been stopped for a routine check in Austria the routine I use must be good as I only had 1 violation which the kind policeman let me off with.
After I have got my ticket and pulled through ‘the barrier’ onto the dock to wait for boarding I do an End Country and then enter Ferry/Train mode. Once I’ve arrived and disembarked, if I’m driving straight to my drop off I do a Start Country and off I go. If I’m continuing my rest I just drive to my rest point, make up my 9/11 hours, when I’m ready just do a Start Country and away I go. The policeman was OK with this and all was good.
My violation… You must keep your ticket as proof of travel which no one had ever told me. Minor point but the guy was really nice, let me off and sent me on my way with a ‘get out of jail free’ card so I can’t be done for the same offence in another country.

barrykam:
As I have just (Thursday last week) been stopped for a routine check in Austria the routine I use must be good as I only had 1 violation which the kind policeman let me off with.
After I have got my ticket and pulled through ‘the barrier’ onto the dock to wait for boarding I do an End Country and then enter Ferry/Train mode. Once I’ve arrived and disembarked, if I’m driving straight to my drop off I do a Start Country and off I go. If I’m continuing my rest I just drive to my rest point, make up my 9/11 hours, when I’m ready just do a Start Country and away I go. The policeman was OK with this and all was good.
My violation… You must keep your ticket as proof of travel which no one had ever told me. Minor point but the guy was really nice, let me off and sent me on my way with a ‘get out of jail free’ card so I can’t be done for the same offence in another country.

I dont know whether or not keeping a copy of your ticket is actually law? but its a good idea. The more paperwork youve got the happier some officials seem. Youll never be prosecuted for having too much paperwork! (That sounds like a challenge doesn`t it?)

You wouldn’t believe the amount of paperwork I need to carry for various different countries and was handed an employment contract yesterday translated into Slovakian which is now a requirement when in Slovakia. As a driver I find my most stressful part of the job is remembering what paperwork I need to fill out either before, during or after leaving a country.

Barrykam, there is nothing writing in EU law to say you need to keep and show proof of travel for an interupted daily rest break.

toby1234abc:
Barrykam, there is nothing writing in EU law to say you need to keep and show proof of travel for an interupted daily rest break.

Maybe it’s just an Austrian law. I wasn’t going to question it as the guy was helpful and in the end helped me out by answering a few questions I had.

While there is nothing in the law that says you have to keep your tickets and such, good luck trying to prove that you were, in fact, on a ferry or a train with access to a bunk.

I suggest a short dance routine or maybe an offhand drawing of Mao Zedong in crayon.

Semaphore? Various types of hand signals seem to be international [emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The way that I have always done it is .
Arrive at port , park in lanes put it into ferry mode and on break .
Drive on boat put back on break .
Do crossing return to truck and change country on tacho .
Drive off boat leave port and park up and put tacho back on break .
Break must be total of 12 hrs from start to finish including maximum of two interuptions totalling no more than 1 hr .
You cannot have a reduced daily rest (9hrs) using ferry mode/ split break .
A bunk or couchette must be available during the ferry journey .
You cannot use the ferry break application on any crossing where bunks or couchettes are not available
Using this I have never had a problem with infringements.
Many of the tacho rules guides don’t cover ferry breaks or even double manning .
Try and get an official government issued guide.
They are handy and once you understand them they have all the answers .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

toby1234abc:

Your only allowed to interrupt if you have access to a bunk or couchette on the train/ferry, now if you have no way of proving this you could of been anywhere moving for any reason. Hence normally the need for proof for 28 days.

I know plenty of idiots who think they can use ferry mode on dover to calais.

Rest has only to be 11 hours total not 12. Its not a split.