Favourite area to work in UK?

I live in the South just outside Dover, the split between European or UK work has been pretty even .
UK wise the further away from London or any big city the better .
Although born in the South I am descended from Yorkshire and Scottish stock so the north and Scotland always feels like going home . My maternal grandmother came from a couple of miles from the Stockyard truck stop. The chatter of the older women in the kitchens certainly brings back happy memories. I really enjoy Ireland, a great place if you are sociable but if you are a grumpy loner it could get on the nerves all the friendly questions .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I really enjoy Ireland, a great place if you are sociable but if you are a grumpy loner it could get on the nerves all the friendly questions .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Hang on just a minute, just like to make a correction here. Just because Im a loner, it doesnt make me grumpy!!! :smiley: :slight_smile:

grumpyken is right though.

A litlle while back I parked at a pub/truckstop called Feerick’s and it was crazy. You ordered your food at the bar, got a pint, then sat on a stool whilst waiting for the food, before long the people either side of you are talking to you. The food is served, plate stacked, you eat with the other drivers at the bar, get more pints and when you finished you pay your bill which they split beers from food for my expenses and off I went back to the lorry.

Bloody Irish folk. I would move there if I wangled it with my current boss to locate me there and pay me my SW English wages, get a nice big bungalow with truck parking and room for a few cars, heaven :laughing:

Rarely leave Scotland and if I do it’s no further south than Kendal thankfully as England is no place to drive for a living. Enjoy it up here other than the tourists in their rented motor homes during the summer months.

When I was working I never liked going south from west Yorkshire.Nowadays I only use a car and the bit from here to the ferry at Dover,Newhaven or Portsmouth is purgatory what with roadworks,closures,traffic levels and an increasingly poor standard of driving.You can enjoy the day as soon as you get off the ferry on the other side.
I’ve usually found folk from Wales,Scotland and Ireland generally more sociable and a lot of Brits can be rather ■■■■.Is it a Celts v Saxon thing or perhaps our middle class aspirations?

mrginge:
grumpyken is right though.

A litlle while back I parked at a pub/truckstop called Feerick’s and it was crazy. You ordered your food at the bar, got a pint, then sat on a stool whilst waiting for the food, before long the people either side of you are talking to you. The food is served, plate stacked, you eat with the other drivers at the bar, get more pints and when you finished you pay your bill which they split beers from food for my expenses and off I went back to the lorry.

Bloody Irish folk. I would move there if I wangled it with my current boss to locate me there and pay me my SW English wages, get a nice big bungalow with truck parking and room for a few cars, heaven :laughing:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ireland north and south is a great timewarp of a place to live.
imagine the scenario,your walking along and a complete stranger comes up and says hello.
ten minutes later,your in a bar having a drink that they insist on paying.
you dont get a chance to put your hand in your pocket as they are flat out buying you drinks all night, then as if thats not enough,your taken for a good meal,top notch,no rubbish,they then take you home and invite you to a night of rampant ■■■,then after breakfast in the morning,they put you in a taxi and bung you £20-00 for your trouble. how class is that■■?
its never happened to me personally but it happens to my sister nearly every weekend in belfast, :slight_smile:

A lot of talk about Ireland as well as Scotland. Got to agree, although never worked in Ireland spent many holidays , north and south and always really enjoyed it.
Actually all this talk about it, might just have a wee trip over sometimes this year! Wales is another country we have spent time in (the valleys mainly) and really enjoyed it but again never worked there. Favourite area in England for me now is probably Yorkshire where I did work once!

jakethesnake:
A lot of talk about Ireland as well as Scotland. Got to agree, although never worked in Ireland spent many holidays , north and south and always really enjoyed it.
Actually all this talk about it, might just have a wee trip over sometimes this year! Wales is another country we have spent time in (the valleys mainly) and really enjoyed it but again never worked there. Favourite area in England for me now is probably Yorkshire where I did work once!

:smiley: (----------from yorkshire…

Jasesonix:
Scotland does seem to be the favoured destination so far in this thread.

^^^^^^^^
all you need to know about the local customs is here.the sad thing about it is that its a turban wearer explaining scotland to you. :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw

Anywhere north is fine by me, enjoy running A1 north all the way to Scotland :grimacing:

Any run that doesn’t involve going into or through a city or suburbs; since I mostly deliver to farms that ain’t too difficult to achieve.

I’m seeing all the sites today, first Halifax and then dewsbury. Then I’m off to another job in londonderry/Derry (delete applicable) followered by Enniskillen. The life ay! Who’s says we don’t have fun. Back to Bristol Wednesday and I will already be thinking of the weekend.

mrginge:
I’m seeing all the sites today, first Halifax and then dewsbury. Then I’m off to another job in londonderry/Derry (delete applicable) followered by Enniskillen. The life ay! Who’s says we don’t have fun. Back to Bristol Wednesday and I will already be thinking of the weekend.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just call it stroke city and you will be safe enough. :wink:

dieseldog999:

mrginge:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will try that in the pub later. As for my night in Dewsbury, what a ■■■ hole, I was parked in a retail car park and through the night I could here either diesel Mercedes cars coming in and out and strangely parking next to me on idle, or I had people walking passed to a housing estate listening at max volume on their phone either Drake or random Indian punjabi mc sounding music.

Can’t wait for a decent kip in stroke city. :wink:

mrginge:

dieseldog999:

mrginge:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will try that in the pub later. As for my night in Dewsbury, what a ■■■ hole, I was parked in a retail car park and through the night I could here either diesel Mercedes cars coming in and out and strangely parking next to me on idle, or I had people walking passed to a housing estate listening at max volume on their phone either Drake or random Indian punjabi mc sounding music.

I live in Ossett and can concur that Doomsbury is an absolute hole! What retail park were you on btw? Shaw Cross Ind Est isn’t too bad, theres plenty that overnight there. Or G. Brocklehurst round the back of sainsbury offer secure parking on a snap account but it has to be pre booked…if you ever have to rough it again in the Norths answer to Syria!

mrginge:

dieseldog999:

mrginge:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not sure where you’ll be parked in Derry but taxis are cheap enough to get into the city centre you’ll get a good feed in Badgers just down from the Milenium Forum good bars are Sandinos down the hill from Badgers, the Gweedore or Bound for Boston on Waterloo street

Fatboystu1: Ravensthorpe retail park.

Mazzer2: Didn’t get there till late in the end so made do with a secret parking area :wink: Altnagelvin side of city as I was going to Rathmore shopping centre but would never park round there :open_mouth:

Had a flyer today so I’m getting the night ferry, back home for lunch and a sleep. Robroy would be disgusted knowing I’m going to set off at 00:30 tonight ha.