ERF 'European' (1975)

List of the currently known 12 NGCs on overland work to the Middle East (so not including the many that worked out there on ‘internals’):

KFH 248P Vijore group (GB)
KFH 249P Vijore group (GB)
KFH 250P Vijore group (GB)
KFH 251P Vijore group (GB)
NFH 120P Vijore group (GB)
PDF 444R Vijore group (GB)
GEH 513N Albert Dale/Beresford (GB)
JDF 132N Grocott (leased from Beech’s Garage) (GB)
JLG 35N ERF demo/export (GB)
n/k Hans Burkhard (CH)
12-97-FB Slappendel (NL)
813AMH75 n/k (F)

Robert

DEANB:
[
Some intresting bits and bobs there chap ! Golding heavy haulage is a turn up for the books ■■ I know someone who
has thousand of heavy haulage pics i will have a word with him.

Be intresting to see what Graham comes up with, and thats also another big surprise that Grocott did ME with it ■■

Some good stuff there chap !

Yes, we already knew that Grocott did M/E so we shouldn’t be too surprised! What should be surprising is that ERF allowed a lease unit to do Middle East, but history shows that all sorts of lease units and especially trailers went down there (though not all with the owner’s consent!). See ^^^ updated list of overlanders. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Well the talk at Crewe seems to have been well-received! A few points arose from the talk because, as I hoped would happen, people found me afterwards to add details. I also made one or two new contacts. Here as some points to ponder.

1. Apparently, between Eric Vick and Trans Arabia, KFH 248P and KFH 249P were sold to Goldings Heavy Haulage of Wooten-Under-Edge. Whether they actually ran them or simply acted as dealers is not yet known.

2. Before Beeches garage sold JDF 132N to Beresford Transport, it was leased to Grocott – we know that because Graham Beech provided a picture which I put on here a while back. What I didn’t know was that Grocott did Middle East with it. We already knew that Grocott did Middle East BTW. Graham is hunting me out any more details.

3. There were five ex- NGC drivers there. I was able to have confirmed that the top speed was around 60 mph which fits in with my findings about the final drive ratio being used as a ‘limiter’ with a sensible margin for European running.

Meanwhile, others are keeping their eyes peeled for any more material.

Cheers, Robert

Hello Robert,glad to hear that your presentation at Crewe was well received and surprised to hear that John Golding had KFH 248P and KFH 249P pass through his hands.I never heard this before either and having visited Johns yard on many occasions to photograph his lorries, I never saw them…I would have been excited to see them in his colours,however I can tell you that he bought two Mack Interstators from Harold Williams whose yard is just down the road from Eric Vicks …JDF 249V was put to work by John and JDF 250V which had been involved in an accident was purchased for spares,now I don’t wish to cause doubt on your contacts news but maybe just maybe he got confused with this as “twin ERFs” and “twin Macks” from near enough the same address going to live with John.Unfortunatly John is no longer with us to ask ,but wouldn’t it be great if pictures of these two 7 MWs turn up in Johns colours…sorry to witter on,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:

ERF-NGC-European:
Well the talk at Crewe seems to have been well-received! A few points arose from the talk because, as I hoped would happen, people found me afterwards to add details. I also made one or two new contacts. Here as some points to ponder.

1. Apparently, between Eric Vick and Trans Arabia, KFH 248P and KFH 249P were sold to Goldings Heavy Haulage of Wooten-Under-Edge. Whether they actually ran them or simply acted as dealers is not yet known.

2. Before Beeches garage sold JDF 132N to Beresford Transport, it was leased to Grocott – we know that because Graham Beech provided a picture which I put on here a while back. What I didn’t know was that Grocott did Middle East with it. We already knew that Grocott did Middle East BTW. Graham is hunting me out any more details.

3. There were five ex- NGC drivers there. I was able to have confirmed that the top speed was around 60 mph which fits in with my findings about the final drive ratio being used as a ‘limiter’ with a sensible margin for European running.

Meanwhile, others are keeping their eyes peeled for any more material.

Cheers, Robert

Hello Robert,glad to hear that your presentation at Crewe was well received and surprised to hear that John Golding had KFH 248P and KFH 249P pass through his hands.I never heard this before either and having visited Johns yard on many occasions to photograph his lorries, I never saw them…I would have been excited to see them in his colours,however I can tell you that he bought two Mack Interstators from Harold Williams whose yard is just down the road from Eric Vicks …JDF 249V was put to work by John and JDF 250V which had been involved in an accident was purchased for spares,now I don’t wish to cause doubt on your contacts news but maybe just maybe he got confused with this as “twin ERFs” and “twin Macks” from near enough the same address going to live with John.Unfortunatly John is no longer with us to ask ,but wouldn’t it be great if pictures of these two 7 MWs turn up in Johns colours…sorry to witter on,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Interesting stuff, Bubbs! The source came from within Eric Vick so should be reliable. What I strongly suspect is that John acquired the pair from Eric Vick and when he got down-wind of S Jones’s pursuit of loose LHD ERFs for the Trans Arabia fleet he probably responded with KFH 248P / 249P, rather than pressing them into service with his own fleet. I do know Trans Arabia got them in 1983. Cheers, Robert :smiley:

I chased up that review of the two NGC books we were expecting to appear in TRUCKSTAR magazine in Holland this week. Apparently, the editor wasn’t interested because there isn’t enough Dutch content. Unbelievable! :unamused: Robert

DEANB’s recent picture of Willemstein’s NGC in Venice reminded me of other line-up pics of the NGC in context. It’s nice to see them parked among contemporary lorries of the period. Robert

Willemstein weekended in Venice.jpg

newerf551.jpg

KFH 248P in Tartus docks Jeff Johnson.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
I chased up that review of the two NGC books we were expecting to appear in TRUCKSTAR magazine in Holland this week. Apparently, the editor wasn’t interested because there isn’t enough Dutch content. Unbelievable! :unamused: Robert

You should have told him to send the book back if there was no intrest ! :imp:

A couple of ancient Brits for you! This is a reminder of how modern the NGC was in 1975 when this picture was taken. The ERF is from about '73 and was a Chinese-six with a day cab (though some of these had a crew-cab converted into a sleeper cab for long-haul). Some of these had ■■■■■■■ 150 with a 6-sp David Brown 'box. The one in the pic is en route for Tehran: good luck with that over Tahir!!

Cheers, Robert

Nottingham LV in 75 on Mid East wk.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
DEANB’s recent picture of Willemstein’s NGC in Venice reminded me of other line-up pics of the NGC in context. It’s nice to see them parked among contemporary lorries of the period. Robert

Here’s Willemstein’s in a line up ! :laughing: :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

You should have told him to send the book back if there was no intrest ! :imp:

Chap’s a freelance transport photojournalist and he provided some good material for the books. He’s searching out more pics for me this week :wink: Robert

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ace! That’s Venice again, taken from a different angle. Better picture too! Nice find. :smiley:

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ace! That’s Venice again, taken from a different angle. Better picture too! Nice find. :smiley:

Robert

Not a find, just taken from my FB page.

Leyland_marathon2:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

Not a find, just taken from my FB page.

Facebook group Rene not your personal page.

DEANB:

Another splendid picture of Cees Willemstein’s magnificent NGC which served for 15 years and did mega-mileage :sunglasses: ! It’s also nice to know that we are all grown up enough on TruckNet Uk to share our images in order to provide a transport history for another generation :wink: . Robert

@deanb
Indeed, Facebook page about dutch ERF’s created by me. It would have been nice to have mentioned that these pics came from that FB page.
But alas, again decency is not in the dictionary.

Leyland_marathon2:
@deanb
Indeed, Facebook page about dutch ERF’s created by me. It would have been nice to have mentioned that these pics came from that FB page.

Rene, your having a laugh,your group is dead ! I joined at the beginning of the year and there
has been a total of 60 pics posted this year. I have posted over half of them ? A total of 35 plus
i expect a few more when answering other posts !

As for decency you seem to forget the ones you take off this thread and post on there ■■ So i
dont understand your problem. It seem that its ok for you to use photos from here but we cant
use photos from the facebook group !

DEANB:
As for decency you seem to forget the ones you take off this thread and post on there ■■ So i
dont understand your problem. It seem that its ok for you to use photos from here but we cant

Ironically that sounds a bit like the trading relationship in reverse with our partners across the Channel that took out firms like ERF. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

DEANB:

Leyland_marathon2:
@deanb

Rene, your having a laugh,your group is dead ! I joined at the beginning of the year and there
has been a total of 60 pics posted this year. I have posted over half of them ? A total of 35 plus
i expect a few more when answering other posts !

YES! Bring out the popcorn! It’s been far too long since we’ve had “discussions” like this one on here. Cheers for brightening up me 45m break lads! :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:
Clearly John Golding wasn’t ERF-averse, if this pic is anything to go by! Robert

Didn’t Golding had some yank stuff in his fleet as well?

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
Clearly John Golding wasn’t ERF-averse, if this pic is anything to go by! Robert

Didn’t Golding had some yank stuff in his fleet as well?

Yes, it was mostly LHD Yank stuff. Robert