ERF 'European' (1975)

Ah most be there i saw it then :smiley:

Danne

Following a query made by Anorak on the LHD B-series thread, about a clipping send to me by DEANB, I had to do some more delving into the exact point at which the LHD Euro-sleeper version came out. As it happens, three months earlier than I thought :open_mouth: ! It was released in Sept '76 in time for Earls Court. No doubt the first production models didn’t hit the Continent until the new year, of course :sunglasses: ; but that still puts the date at 1976 (rather 1977), thus overlapping production of the NGC by just over a year (the last NGC was dispatched in December '77) :wink: .

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Following a query made by Anorak on the LHD B-series thread, about a clipping send to me by DEANB, I had to do some more delving into the exact point at which the LHD Euro-sleeper version came out. As it happens, three months earlier than I thought :open_mouth: ! It was released in Sept '76 in time for Earls Court. No doubt the first production models didn’t hit the Continent until the new year, of course :sunglasses: ; but that still puts the date at 1976 (rather 1977), thus overlapping production of the NGC by just over a year (the last NGC was dispatched in December '77) :wink: .

Robert

When did the last NGC420 roll off the produciton line? If the last vehicle was registered on that date, the vehicle could have been languishing at Sandbach (or the dealer’s premises) for months.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

When did the last NGC420 roll off the produciton line? If the last vehicle was registered on that date, the vehicle could have been languishing at Sandbach (or the dealer’s premises) for months.

That’s true. We have no date for the last one to roll of the production line, alas. Quite a lot of them were built in '77, the last batch of five going to Falcon Freight in Jeddah. We do know that the last one was a ‘special’ as it was fitted with a big-cam 290 and was dispatched some time after the other four. I imagine that a fair bit of tinkering went on with that one so it may be reasonably safe to assume that it technically still ‘in production’ till it was ready to be released. Robert

I reported that I had ‘delved’ to find this out. Folk reading this will doubt wish to hear what evidence I have for the claim. I found two sources: a clipping from a 1976 Commercil Motor sent to me by DEANB and posted on the LHD B-series thread; and Patrick Dyer’s book ERF B, C, CP and E-series. :wink: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I reported that I had ‘delved’ to find this out. Folk reading this will doubt wish to hear what evidence I have for the claim. I found two sources: a clipping from a 1976 Commercil Motor sent to me by DEANB and posted on the LHD B-series thread; and Patrick Dyer’s book ERF B, C, CP and E-series. :wink: Robert

The Paul Ghee photos topic seems to vindicate much of what I’ve said regarding the pace of development and change taking place during the 1970’s and when it took place.While customer expectations shouldn’t be underestimated as part of that.The only real surprise being the actual retrograde nature of the move from NGC to B series in all that. :confused: Making a big noise about offering something that what was already an expected norm long before that point,showing just how out of touch ERF was when it mattered.I can imagine those customers,having already run off to the nearest import dealership,when they realised that there would be no NGC development and replacement,laughing at the irony of the big fanfare about the B series trying to be a credible competitor,let alone that late in the day.

Been given a possible name for the blue ERF nothing definate, just a could be ■■

■■■■ Fisher ran C.D.Fisher from Peterborough which is close to Tallington.

newerf888a.PNG

DEANB:
Been given a possible name for the blue ERF nothing definate, just a could be ■■

TN member ‘ERF’ might be able to help us out with that, as he is very knowledgeable both about ERFs and Peterborough hauliers :wink: . Robert

Found this small piece in a commercial motor mag from 1973. Start reading 1st page from “New models” and first paragraph of
second page. Does not say that much however it says that the 335 ■■■■■■■ does not match the Vee 10’s of the German trucks.

However according to the other bit i found in a 1974 commercial motor ,that says that the ■■■■■■■ 335 could be opened up
to 400 bhp ! I wonder if anyone did that ?

Click on pages twice to magnify to read.

erfcummins cm 74.PNG

DEANB:
Found this small piece in a commercial motor mag from 1973. Start reading 1st page from “New models” and first paragraph of
second page. Does not say that much however it says that the 335 ■■■■■■■ does not match the Vee 10’s of the German trucks.

However according to the other bit i found in a 1974 commercial motor ,that says that the ■■■■■■■ 335 could be opened up
to 400 bhp ! I wonder if anyone did that ?

Click on pages twice to magnify to read.

I had forgotten about that article from Commercial Motor. It’s actually a long and rambling piece that goes on for more pages and continues the following week! I did post a transcript of it early in the thread. It is interesting to note the author’s luke warm, almost dismissive attitude to the newly launched NGC in comparison with Pat Kennett’s fervent admiration for the beast in TRUCK magazine. Robert

Here’s nice quotation from the Promotors thread to remind us that a certain journalist who spoke well of the NGC was well thought of in transport circles.

‘Sandway’ is describing a trip to Portugal with a Ford to take part in a road test conducted by the trade press. Sandway picks up the story as follows:

One thing I shall always remember was one of the Ford Guys whispering in my ear as we drank at the bar. He said there was only one journalist out of the scores of hacks being flown in that mattered and that was Pat Kennett. Many of you on TNUK will know his name well enough.

Here’s the page link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=139755&start=810

Robert

Dont know if this has been on here before. Found it in a REV’s mag.

Low mileage when it was sold.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
Dont know if this has been on here before. Found it in a REV’s mag.

Low mileage when it was sold.

Click on pages twice to read.

Excellent find, Dean! I certainly haven’t seen that before. It just goes to show that there are still references to NGCs lurking in back-numbers of REVS International mag. Can you post the issue number so that I can add it to the list of References to NGCs in Publications? Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

TN member ‘ERF’ might be able to help us out with that, as he is very knowledgeable both about ERFs and Peterborough hauliers :wink: . Robert

I know of CD Fisher, but I don’t recall them having the blue NGC.
I have just sent the photo to a man that might know for sure.
I’ll report back with the verdict, if there is one!

ERF:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

I know of CD Fisher, but I don’t recall them having the blue NGC.
I have just sent the photo to a man that might know for sure.
I’ll report back with the verdict, if there is one!

Thank you ‘ERF’; much appreciated! Robert :smiley:

Robert, the revs mag is no 83 December 2002.

This pic has been on before ,but someone sent me this copy last night and i dont know if its better or
worse than the one you have.

DEANB:
Robert, the revs mag is no 83 December 2002.

This pic has been on before ,but someone sent me this copy last night and i dont know if its better or
worse than the one you have.

Thanks for the REVS issue number :sunglasses: Dean!

The picture is less clear than the one I used in the first book, but nonetheless useful to use on here. It looks as if it has been scanned from a magazine or brochure because it is much grainier than mine; which leads me to wonder where it appeared! Robert

Shamara would probably have run this Marathon alongside its NGC. Robert

vv8.jpg

What do you make of this Robert ■■ I thought South African at first but then a closer look and it looked
like there were parts of the motor panel MW7 cab used. The front has that bit where it sticks out from
under the windscreen . May have been a prototype for one of the South African ones ■■ Does not have a
split windscreen like the South African ones ?

erfsouthafr.PNG

Good afternoon Deanb and ERF NGC European,

Whilst looking for another heavy haulage tractor to restore, I have been in contact with the MD of Transports Brame P , in WINTZENHEIM near Colmar in France.

An email I received from them contained the following which I am not sure as to whether you are aware of regarding the NGC they had - it sounds as if they had a second one too!

Hello.

Yes indeed we had an ERF which unfortunately has been damaged, this vehicle has been removed to make the spare vehicle .

A person in England, was interested in this vehicle, so we sent him pictures.

Nice day.

Kind regards
Brame

I wonder if it was your good selves he sent the pictures to?

Regards
Ed