Enfield & Lea Valley Hauliers

keith the thief:
does any one remember kingsfield transport owned by my old mate chris krone i drove an old borderer aki for him it was the last job i had then i started on my own that was 30 years ago lol my dad worked for maurice little child (tommy jordan) for years first on the fruit then later on the metal box job you was talking about derek nickolds i brought his old 2800 dks daf of him it was a 1978 on an s plate i pulled a bulker out of joneses scrap yard with it long before bill baxter come in there i used to tip and load trailers for des at hercocks and mick nicholls as well all with me own unit kings field used to be behind the sun and woolpack along the highway and when i worked there he had moved to a yard along the river lea aT brouxbourne
smashin fella i went to his funeral bless him and what about micky kipps had all the f12s and transcons in the yard at theobalds grove he did the ruberoid work tuquoise blue trucks

i remember tony bradfield having the old 140 scania that he brought at the howe auction in his front garden down mollison ave brimsdown ahh memories

Uncle Tony,still an owner driver & running to Morocco,not bad considering he will be 80 in September.

EBAY 012.jpg

Blimey Will, Where’s his hair gone?

Ossie

I can’t comment too much mate,as mine has gone the same way !!! You know what he was like about his hair in place back in the day. :laughing:

Will:

keith the thief:
does any one remember kingsfield transport owned by my old mate chris krone i drove an old borderer aki for him it was the last job i had then i started on my own that was 30 years ago lol my dad worked for maurice little child (tommy jordan) for years first on the fruit then later on the metal box job you was talking about derek nickolds i brought his old 2800 dks daf of him it was a 1978 on an s plate i pulled a bulker out of joneses scrap yard with it long before bill baxter come in there i used to tip and load trailers for des at hercocks and mick nicholls as well all with me own unit kings field used to be behind the sun and woolpack along the highway and when i worked there he had moved to a yard along the river lea aT brouxbourne
smashin fella i went to his funeral bless him and what about micky kipps had all the f12s and transcons in the yard at theobalds grove he did the ruberoid work tuquoise blue trucks

i remember tony bradfield having the old 140 scania that he brought at the howe auction in his front garden down mollison ave brimsdown ahh memories

Uncle Tony,still an owner driver & running to Morocco,not bad considering he will be 80 in September.

Well one thing uncle Tony IS good at is making tea ,had many a cup with him in his kitchen while working for volvo,give him my regards ,it was some 15 years ago ,he may remember me ,i take it he still lives at the same house in Swindon,Steve.

blimey ossie d your jogging my memory now angel motors running out of the strip frank jolley was the boss i was tulkons tyre fitter when i 1st left school we had loads of old hoyner trailers of angel them that tipped on the back axle i see tony the other week in castets france i nearly brought the red and cream 141 of him had the money in me bin then he wanted the vat i wasnt in that club then so i back pedaled he understood i was running italy then out of waltham cross i had the bulkers in joneses at the cross before that iv had me own trucks 32 year now dont time fly lol

Hi guys and girls,
In reply to the T&T transport (Enfield) question, when i passed my hgv in 86 i was sent from the job centre to T&T which stood for (Try Hard Transport), the guy who was in charge was i think (lenny), the boss was dave sawyer, i never met him, i only lasted a few days before i hoped it,i was sent to harwich docks in a volvo F10 and a standard twin axle trailer, i was loaded up with a container weighing 24 tons, iwas 6 tons over, it only went to waterloo station, one of the old werehouses under the arches, it contained tins of pina colada coconut juice.
I done a couple more days then left, too much dodgy running, i met a lot of guys that had done a little stint for them on my travels, but no one ever seemed to stay there,i done a little bit of agency work for sainsburys, placketts,w j simms, prosser bros, and G L Baker, my last stint was at B J Myers in greenwich, with the intention of getting a bit of continental experience, you could never work for a more rotten firm, it was run by brian and his brother tony, the manager was george pickering, i was there for four months and in that time i saw about 30 drivers sacked for the smallest of things, they had a high turnover of drivers, the drivers their self were a good bunch of guys, what i call real truckers, they taught me a lot in the time i was there, all the stuff you dont learn on sainsbury’s and tesco,a lot of them lived far and wide from greenwhich, -scotland , midlands and the like,i am thinking of their names-angus, barry,george, little jackie from newcastle aka baldrick and there was danny, he lived in a small caravan in the yard, at the time he would have been about 55-60, he spoke slightly slurred and slow, i was told by one of the guvnors that he was driving through afghanistan when the russians were fighting there and his rig dissapered down a 40 foot hole!, thats what caused his injuries.
I would love to know if they are still about, they were good times even though i only got home on a saturday evening and then back at 05.00 monday for a take home pay of £200, all their work came out of the dover and ramsgate docks, i remember castle services, gruppo merzario and edmund depaire,(sorry if i have spelt them wrong) trailers, we also collected groupage on our return trips to the docks, most of it steel, i will sign off now as i am driving down memory lane, i now drive a london cab, the money is lot better, but i will never get the freedom of bolting down the M2 with with one brown arm resting on a lowered window listening to radio 1 in a vest and shorts, god bless all of you where ever you are!

One of Bill Baxters lorries that my Dad drove in 1960 :sunglasses:

Another one of Bill Baxters that Dad drove.He is in the picture :wink:

I met Derek Nickolds in the late 90s and got on well with him. At the time he had 2 or 3 FHs on Spanish groupage for a company called Tilar. He also used to do the odd bit of traction for Stubbins/Continental Express. IIRC he was running a plumbing or electrical business and had drivers on the trucks but would do the odd trip himself where required.

I last saw one of his trailers loading in the tractor plant at basildon and the guy said he had just bought it from Derek as he was finishing with the trucks. That would have been around 2002. Does anybody know if that’s the case or is he still at it?.

Cheers
Neilf

Yes, that was true, he sold up and concentrated on his plumbing “skills” to earn a living! The fella who you were talking to was Mark Cleverdon, who tried to make a go of it, but wasn’t really getting anywhere due to unrealistic rates, rising fuel costs, late paying clients,etc. (Some things never change, do they?) Anyway, he still has his own wagon, however, it’s a rigid, and it’s on UK only work, in a niche market and he’s earning a good living now. He still hankers after the European work, but luckily he quickly takes a reality check!
As for Derek, he just does a bit of driving as and when for Continental Express, just to keep a few shillings coming in.

A few more names to throw into the pot. Alexanders of Cheshunt. Durrants of Waltham Cross. Heaths Haulage, Cheshunt, Tone Vale Transport, of Theobolds Grove. Waltham Roadways & Waltham Express, both of Waltham Cross. T. Watts, E.A. Pinnock, Lewis Folkes, & Paul Blencowe, all of Enfield.
Any more, anybody?

2010vagabond:
Yes, that was true, he sold up and concentrated on his plumbing “skills” to earn a living! The fella who you were talking to was Mark Cleverdon, who tried to make a go of it, but wasn’t really getting anywhere due to unrealistic rates, rising fuel costs, late paying clients,etc. (Some things never change, do they?) Anyway, he still has his own wagon, however, it’s a rigid, and it’s on UK only work, in a niche market and he’s earning a good living now. He still hankers after the European work, but luckily he quickly takes a reality check!

Small world!.

In my previous job I met Mark, and his driver a few times when he moved generators on and off sites for us. We did talk about euro work but I didn’t know it was the same guy.

For the record Mark is spot on and a pleasure to work with.

Cheers
Neilf

Yes, that’s true what you said about Mark, he’s a top sausage! I’ve known him for a good few years, since we worked together on Continental Express in the 90’s. He’s a grafter. He doesn’t really enjoy the hiab work. His heart’s just not in it, but it’s what has paid his bills for more than a decade now, so unless some miracle happens and Euro work comes back at sensible rates, you could well meet him again if you’ve a genny or something that needs moving! :laughing:

Well that’s something else I didn’t know about Mark. I too did a short spell, only 3 months, with continental express in the summer of 98 but I’m fairly certain he wasn’t there then.

I’ve also moved on from the bright lights of the medical scanners so unfortunately I doubt I’ll be bumping into Mark any time soon.

As for the heart not being in it I suppose I’m in the same boat myself. Would live to be out in Europe but with a young family and the way the job has gone I just couldn’t afford to be doing it. My current job is 5 minutes from home and I sit down for tea with the family every day. No brainier really.

Cheers
Neilf

Will:

Hiya
WOW two real nice old motors. theirs a few chaps who’ed like those in their collection.
John

Does Raines Dairies count? (GL Baker tookover all the transport after North West Freighters went pop.) I think Transcare also had a place close by for M&S. Not really Enfield I know but does anyone remember the firm from Brentwood who had a Iveco Turbostar painted in TV AM colours (about 84ish) did a lot of subby work for Ferrymasters. Last one and I think I’ve asked this once before in another thread - again not Essex but does anyone remember (maybe still going?) a firm from Hackney called CPR (I think the boss was called Con - what a top name in this job!) I ask because someone mentioned a print firm (Olds or something similar?) and I’m sure they did work for them up to M&S own printorks at Burnley. They had a driver whose name escapes me, lovely fella and a dead ringer for Catweazle. Think he drove an old Buffalo or Marathon artic. Take care guys and thanks for thinking :slight_smile:

Yes, Raines counts. I’d forgotten all about them. Their yard was in Crown Road, and they reckon it was a blinding job if you could get on there. I think Transcare Distribution were out of Crown Road too, or was it down by the HGV Driving test centre at Brimsdown? I think they were something to do with Tibbett & Britten, but I’ll stand to be corrected! :confused:

One other name just came to me. Anybody remember H.E.Dobbs of Enfield? Their yard was in Windmill Hill, and had red Scania Vabis LB’s. This thread seems to have died though, so I’m not holding my breath… :cry:

Hi does any body remember Brian Price who drove for them who i worked with on tele com in the 80s

2010vagabond:
One other name just came to me. Anybody remember H.E.Dobbs of Enfield? Their yard was in Windmill Hill, and had red Scania Vabis LB’s. This thread seems to have died though, so I’m not holding my breath… :cry: