Election 2015

As today is the real start of Campaign 2015 I figure I highlight some policies that the major parties are proposing that may well affect us.

Transport

Conservatives:
Deliver the biggest programme of investment in roads since the 1970s
Deliver the biggest investment in railways since the Victorians, including 850 miles of electrified railways
Reform strike laws, including on the transport network
Start work on High Speed 2 rail lines and continue development for a “HS3” Leeds-Manchester link

Labour:
Allow a public sector rail operator to bid for and take on new lines
Cap annual rail fare increases
Devolve regional transport decision making
Give cities and regions London-style powers to regulate bus services

Lib Dems:
Give 16-21 year olds two thirds off all bus travel
Oppose expansion of Heathrow, Stansted or Gatwick, or a new airport in the Thames Estuary
Electrify all suburban and major rail routes, reopening many stations
Support light rail schemes in urban areas

UKIP:
Scrap plans for a new High Speed 2 rail line
Oppose toll roads
Require foreign vehicle to purchase a “Britdisc” before entry to the UK
Ensure speed cameras are not used for profit by councils

TAX

Conservatives:
Raise the personal allowance from £10,600 to £12,500
Raise the starting point for 40% higher tax rate from £42,400 to £50,000
No rise in VAT

Labour:
Re-introduce the 50% top rate of income tax for people earning over £150,000
Introduce a “mansion tax” on houses worth over £2m
Re-introduce the lower 10% starting rate of tax
Cut business rates for small firms in 2015 and freeze them in 2016

LibDems:
Raise the income tax threshold to £12,500
Raise up to £1.5bn from a tax on homes worth over £2m
Bring in £14bn from tax rises on corporations and the wealthy, and reduced tax avoidance
Increase charges to “non-doms”, raising £130m

UKIP:
Increase personal allowance to £13,500
Scrap inheritance tax
Introduce a 35% tax rate for incomes between £42,285 and £55,000, and a 40% rate thereafter
Make big businesses pay their fair share of tax

Welfare

Conservatives:
Maintain the freeze in working-age benefits for two years
Household benefit cap cut from £26,000 to £23,000
No housing benefit for 18-21 year olds
Ban on zero-hours contracts that bar work elsewhere

Labour:
Guaranteed job for under-25s unemployed for over a year and for adults unemployed over two years
Scrap “bedroom tax” housing benefit changes
Higher rate of JSA for those who have worked for longer
Cap structural welfare spending

LibDems:
Cap benefit rise at 1%p.a. for two years
Scrap housing benefit cuts for tenants with spare rooms unless they refuse a smaller property
A carer’s bonus of £250p.a. by 2020
A “yellow card” to give people a warning before benefits are withdrawn

UKIP:
Scrap housing benefit changes related to bedrooms
Restrict child benefit to two children and stop paying it all together for children who do not live in Britain
Raise carers’ allowance
End ATOS-style disability benefit assessments

Immigration

Conservatives:
Migrants to wait four years before they can claim certain benefits or social housing
No out of work benefits for migrants or child benefit for dependants living outside UK
Negotiate to reform EU freedom of movement rules
Tougher and longer re-entry bans for rough sleepers, beggars and fraudsters

Labour:
1,000 new border staff and proper exit checks
Make it illegal for employers to undercut British workers by exploiting migrants
Ensure public sector workers speak English
Two-year wait before EU migrants can claim out-of-work benefits

LibDems:
Restore full entry and exit border checks
End indefinite detention for immigration purposes
Require new claimants with poor English skills to attend language courses in order to receive JSA
Phase out child benefit for children living outside the UK

UKIP:
Points system used to select migrants with skills and attributes needed to work in the country
Immigration capped at 50,000 people a year for skilled workers
Extra 2,500 border staff
Five year wait before migrants can claim benefits

The above are just the main points, we as drivers would be better of under the Conservatives, we would pay less tax, would support less people on benefits and get more roads build. Under the Conservatives the first 12,500 would be tax free while Labour want to reintroduce the 10% lower rate, that would cost us all.

A vote for UKIP would just mean that the Scots will hold the balance of power in the UK and they would want to get paid for getting Milliband in to number 10.

Conservatives sound good to me. Anyone is better than Milliband, can’t stand the wet blanket.

The problem isn’t about roads it is about the fact that the Cons have exactly the same anti road transport pro rail agenda as Labour always has.If that wasn’t the case trucks would have been allowed to use red diesel and we’d have had a protected road transport market for decades.In which case it is UKIP which is the least worst not the Cons. :unamused:

I would vote Tory I don’t need to as Camerons’ my MP so he’ll get in without my vote.
Failing them anyone but Labour. God help us if that Ned Silly-Bland wins. I hate his stupid voice. :imp: :imp:

Tories are the natural party for government. Labour are still in the pockets of the unions and can never be trusted with the economy again.

Carryfast:
The problem isn’t about roads it is about the fact that the Cons have exactly the same anti road transport pro rail agenda as Labour always has.If that wasn’t the case trucks would have been allowed to use red diesel and we’d have had a protected road transport market for decades.In which case it is UKIP which is the least worst not the Cons. :unamused:

Vote UKIP and you will get Milliband supported by the SNP, no two ways about it. How much more of our money will go to social programs, benefits and Scotland? 2,000 a year? 3,000? Who knows, it won’t be cheap.

I would rather keep my money in my pocket.

Did anyone watch Jeremy Paxman destroy Milliband when he was on tv with Cameron a few nights ago?

wheelnutt:

Carryfast:

Vote UKIP and you will get Milliband supported by the SNP, no two ways about it. How much more of our money will go to social programs, benefits and Scotland? 2,000 a year? 3,000? Who knows, it won’t be cheap.

Agreed but let’s be honest most of our votes are worthless if you live in a safe seat. The Tories have never not won where I live so I might vote UKIP just to push Labour into 4th place.

Regarding UKIP transport section, this makes for interesting reading

ukip.org/action_is_needed_to … ver_crisis

I am, as of yet undecided.

I grew up in the labour years. So I don’t really know what it was like during that time. Would have to ask my parents.

During Cameron’s reign. I have got married, got a mortgage, bought my first car. Got rid of my first car, got my 2nd and got the Mrs her first car. We have always been in some form of employment as well , ranging from part time to us both now being on 40 (her) and 42.5(me) hour contracts.

She’s 23 and I’m 25.

sinclair89:

We have no choice unless we leave the EU, and only the Tories are giving us an in/out referendum.

I am not advocating leaving the EU, however I would like to be given a choice on the matter for the first time.

wheelnutt:

Carryfast:

The only reason why a UKIP vote would mean Lab/SNP is because Cameron would prefer that to letting UKIP hold the balance of power in a coalition in the way which he was happy to do with the LibDems.So no thanks vote Con get the same old LabLibdemCon alliance now also with added SNP and Green to go with it.I’d prefer to vote UKIP and at least get Cameron out one way or the other.In which case we at least then get a decent opposition to Lab/Libdem/SNP/Green.

wheelnutt:

sinclair89:

We have no choice unless we leave the EU, and only the Tories are giving us an in/out referendum.

I am not advocating leaving the EU, however I would like to be given a choice on the matter for the first time.

We won’t ever get a referendum, not least because the Tories don’t reallywant to give us one. The Tories won’t get a majority and will form another coalition with the Liberals, and they will block it with the help of Labour.

Tories (Con / Lib Coalition) have given us 50mph (from next week) on SC-roads (60mph on DC’s I think) allowing the sensible amongst us (conservative voters) to drive more to the conditions and not have to worry so much about speed cameras so we can keep our eyes on the road instead of the speedo. How long it lasts depends on our own and fellow comrades ability to not drive like nutters.

Not to mention being able to coast on downhill DC sections upto 60mph. Although I do think theres a big difference to being pushed to 60 than pulling to 60 like in the old days, but theres a chance this whole 56mph bollox may get removed. Although I will still only go 52mph as I’m an old chuffer who’s joyriding / police chase days are behind him.

wheelnutt:

sinclair89:

No the Cons are at best offering a referendum of the type we had in 1975 in which,together with its Labour allies,the Party then threw its propaganda machine into over drive to get the result it wanted.Having also been the party which took us into it.While at worse the Cons offer is a lie which he will go back on.Realistically we’d be better off with a sorted out Conservative Party in which the sceptics go to war with the Europhiles and then join UKIP in opposition which will bring down the inevitable Lab/SNP alliance.Even if it ( preferably ) means the break up of the UK to do it.

What is certain as a former Con voter in a safe Con seat there’s no way that Cameron will get my vote.Being that there is no difference between his policies and those of Lab/Libdem on policies that matter like development which will make the south east a big housing estate and dumping ground for their immigration policy.Let alone UKIP being the only party which guarantees EU withdrawal.

Good old democracy. Everyone gets what nobody wants.

I’m a little concerned about the SNP wanting to scrap our Nuclear Trident Deterrent, didn’t Michael Foot try this once with Labour and single handedly lost the election. Could be wrong as my knowledge of politics is weak at best.

Dipper_Dave:
Tories (Con / Lib Coalition) have given us 50mph (from next week) on SC-roads (60mph on DC’s I think) allowing the sensible amongst us (conservative voters) to drive more to the conditions and not have to worry so much about speed cameras so we can keep our eyes on the road instead of the speedo. How long it lasts depends on our own and fellow comrades ability to not drive like nutters.

Not to mention being able to coast on downhill DC sections upto 60mph. Although I do think theres a big difference to being pushed to 60 than pulling to 60 like in the old days, but theres a chance this whole 56mph bollox may get removed. Although I will still only go 52mph as I’m an old chuffer who’s joyriding / police chase days are behind him.

If the Cons weren’t just a bunch of pro rail Europhiles there never would have been limiters or a 90 kmh limit on motorways.We’d have had ( revised ) domestic hours regs for domestic operations therefore no 15 hour shifts.Quotas for international freight movements into and out of the UK and trucks being allowed to use red diesel.As for an 80 kmh limit on single carriageways that obviously shows that the 90 kmh limit on motorways has nothing to do with ‘safety’.

Looks like I’ll pay the least amount of tax under the Tories :sunglasses:

Dipper_Dave:
I’m a little concerned about the SNP wanting to scrap our Nuclear Trident Deterrent, didn’t Michael Foot try this once with Labour and single handedly lost the election. Could be wrong as my knowledge of politics is weak at best.

Realistically the Americans would never give us carte blanche to launch a strategic nuclear attack assuming the opponent threatened the US with retaliation for it.They’d probably join the opponent in taking us out in that case.Which has always been the weak point in the NATO coalition in that a major nuclear power could play us off against the US.IE the reality is this country could never launch a nuclear attack unless the US was attacked first and vice versa the US would rather sacrifice Europe rather than enter any MAD situation itself.Which probably explains why the US has changed tactics in Europe against Russia from one of MAD to hopeless conventional forces containment on Russia’s borders.While it is even doubtful if there could be any foreseeable situation in which our own leadership would consider the use of nukes in any other type of situation such as Korea or the Middle East either.

In which case while I still support the nuclear deterrent I’m not naive enough to think that it has much use other than threat value in the real world.Nor is it something that is worth allowing the Scottish to hold England to ransom over.Being that whatever role it is doing it could just as easily and more effectively do that role based with the US strategic fleet and let the Scottish go.

To be fair I really don’t know which I will go, though I generally voted tactically before to get Labour out, country boy and all that.

That said, I grew up in the Thatcher era, some of it was good, some bad, became a full paying adult just before Labour got in, and until they were ousted my life wasn’t brilliant. Whilst our debts are our own, the policies that Labour introduced allowed us to get into the level of debt we are, but the Cons have given us the path to sort it out.

I consider myself very lucky, we are both in full time employment (especially when my employer could so easily have let all the drivers go) but our lives have been considerably better under the Conservative government.

That is me, others have it different, its going to be a very interesting time that’s for sure.

Being a Scot, I always liked the idea of an independent Scotland, but I’m glad the Union held together. I always have thought though that Alex Salmond was/is a dangerous man and now I’m convinced of it.