Driver demanding nights out every night

LOL, P 45

good driver or not, you carn’t have him trying to bully you by demanding nightout money while parked up in the yard, what will be next on this list if you give in, breakfast in bed before he sets off? Call his bluff and say no.

How did this end ?

The driver has contacted me today about only being paid for 4 n/out and not the 7 he is demanding ( runnkng due to breakdown)
Once he is back to base i will let him know the score again. And see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Seven?!? That’s illegal - you couldn’t pay him that if you wanted to, otherwise you are condoning illegal hours…

Its 7 over a month

It’s not always black and white, sitting down and talking it through may be the best option. Is he a good worker? Was the reason he was back in the yard every night because he wasn’t hanging the job out? If so it may be best to pay him the 140 and put a mutually beneficial pay structure in place for the future.

If the above doesn’t apply, then you pay him, if you agreed a guarantee of night’s out and if you didn’t, you don’t pay. Even then it’s not clear cut, is he the type to come back over the weekend and superglue your door locks or similar, if so it’s best to pay up and put it down to experience. Trust me that’s an expensive lesson to learn, I sacked a bloke after a complaint from a customer that he stank of beer, I called the driver and he was obviously sloshed, I went to the customer and chucked him out of my lorry and did the work myself. 4am the following Monday I got a phone call from another driver who couldn’t get in his lorry, he had done three lorries before he ran out of glue.

I knew it was him as he had superglue residue on his hands when I confronted him in his local boozer that lunchtime. Retribution was carried out in an appropriate manner and a couple of bottles of nail varnish remover sorted out the locks. A slightly different situation I know, but disgruntled ex employees can be like that, so it pays to tread carefully.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

hubman:
Its 7 over a month

I see, sorry bout dat :slight_smile:
Speaking as a lowly driver, I wouldn’t expect to be paid.

Far too many employers in my experience are less than transparent at interview. The purpose of an interview should be twofold. Firstly to try and establish whether the person in front of you might be a valuable addition to your company but also to explain the job requirements and all relevant terms and conditions. Forgetting to mention something that might be important to an employee will only set you up for this kind of situation. Don’t make assumptions about what people should know. Assumptions are the mother of all ■■■■ ups! Honesty might not always be the best policy but it has a decent track record! I hope you get things resolved amicably. You’ve described him as a good driver and you come across as a reasonable fella who is maybe still getting to grips with being a boss?

TiredAndEmotional:
Far too many employers in my experience are less than transparent at interview. The purpose of an interview should be twofold. Firstly to try and establish whether the person in front of you might be a valuable addition to your company but also to explain the job requirements and all relevant terms and conditions. Forgetting to mention something that might be important to an employee will only set you up for this kind of situation. Don’t make assumptions about what people should know. Assumptions are the mother of all [zb] ups! Honesty might not always be the best policy but it has a decent track record! I hope you get things resolved amicably. You’ve described him as a good driver and you come across as a reasonable fella who is maybe still getting to grips with being a boss?

Looong time since I’ve been for my one interview, but do people go in with a list of questions they want answered, or ask things that come to mind as they go along?

We often use recent timesheets to illustrate what the work pattern is like ( all over the place basically, the polar opposite of a 4 on/4 off pattern!).

Update

I have informed the driver that we dont pay for nights out in the yard. I stood my ground on this matter.
I asked if he still wants to leave and he has said he will stay.

Im glad he is staying and i didnt want to lose him, however i must draw the line somewhere.
I hope we can work together and he dont hold this against me as we had a good understanding and banter between us.
Thank you all for your comments

hubman:
Update

I have informed the driver that we dont pay for nights out in the yard. I stood my ground on this matter.

Im glad he is staying and i didnt want to lose him, however i must draw the line somewhere.
I hope we can work together and he dont hold this against me as we had a good understanding and banter between us.

Good on you :smiley:

hubman:
Update

I think you’ve done the right thing, but if he’s a good employee and worth keeping, might be worth trying to find a little sweetner just to soften the blow of not getting paid what he expected. :wink: Even if it’s just keeping him out all week like he expected. :smiley:

Something obviously needs explaining to me. :unamused: When you say you are only going to employ day drivers in future, not trampers, what does that mean? Has your business changed drastically, in which case surely you will lose him anyway? I somehow doubt it if you are shifting containers, but then I never was with a container only firm, did 'em sometimes, others not.

When I was a driver on general haulage, we weren’t classed as trampers or roamers, we just were, and if we got back home, so much the better but no NO money.

In fact I go back to the days when we hitched hiked home just to be in our own beds, but that was before sleeper cabs. :laughing:

On the other hand I had one driver who went one better than that. Supposed to NO at Leicester for a load first thing in the morning, he came home on a dodgy, and brought the wagon with him. :open_mouth: Sad thing for him was I was driving in the opposite direction that evening, and gave him a wave when I saw my name approaching. The expression on his face was priceless. As was the one when he got his cards at the weekend. :frowning: