Downtons transport

Downtons WAS a great company to work for…

However, like all companys of their ilk, they get very big, very quick and think they are the biggest player on the field!

I spent over 4yrs there in 2 stints and the first stint was brilliant, money was top notch, work was good, decent enough tackle, Ok you worked for your money but you didnt mind that… Then they decided rather than just do Magazines and a bit of other stuff, they wanted some slices of the Stobart Pie and went out with their lawnmowers cutting the grass under everyone’s feet.

As for Scotch Willy, the man is an absolute ■■■■■ I could tell you many a story about him, One friday morning we were both in britvic at 2am loading for Danish Bacon at Cardiff, i asked him where it was an he refused to tell me… Any way long story short it turned out he had the same delivery and was afraid i might be in front of him in the queue!! An absolute tool and if i ever come across him in another life, i’ll gladly shake him by the throat! ■■■■■

Not stating the obvious but do you not think that the fact that someone was asking what Downtons were like would mean he wasn’t already there?? :unamused: :unamused:

Maybe another Scotch Willy ■■ :open_mouth:

Something I saw today that I thought was a bit odd. A keedwell motor pulling a downtons trailer, anyone have any information on that? Can’t say I wasn’t surprised!

Cheers

Jonny

jonnytruckfest:
Something I saw today that I thought was a bit odd. A keedwell motor pulling a downtons trailer, anyone have any information on that? Can’t say I wasn’t surprised!

Cheers

Jonny

They both pull loads out of the magazine place in Avonmouth seen loads of em park by the tesco RDC maybe they didn’t have a empty trl so used another hauliers,it does happen a lot me thinks…

Sent by my iPad in a crappy lay by in Hampshire…

they both work out of the wine bottling plant in avonmouth downton has the lions share keedwell has the rest :slight_smile:

hello to everyone at downtons hope u are all well happy new year

buf:
they both work out of the wine bottling plant in avonmouth downton has the lions share keedwell has the rest :slight_smile:

It was Constellation Europe but changed its name recently, I should know It’s new name because I pass by every working day but I don’t. :confused:

I just had a phone call from Downton in Gloucester asked me if I’m interested in work for them but… on casual basis :frowning: I said no thank you I got permanent job, but maybe worth to give them a call if anyone of you on agency.

buf:

you couldnt be more wrong if you tried downtons have the contract in con park which is accolade wines in avonmouth ,they sub it out to malcolms and keedwells in other words they get paid twice for one job , as for working for them id leave well alone ,they are well known to talk to you like ■■■■ and try to run you ragged , unless you your face fits , theres also alot of driver ignorance with alot of polish and welsh drivers at gloucester annomosity is unbelievable sometimes you couldnt cut it with a knife due to the two faced back stabbing from some drivers and the traffic or route ops that call them self managers are a joke ,

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
another firm with the sama problems as other uk firms, they’re trying to make a profit but unable to because of high taxation and low rates.
it doesn’t matter who you work for mon general haulage in the uk the pay rates are [zb], and yes there is a high turnover of drivers because british transport is [zb] because no-one will stand uyp to the [zb] in brussells

^^The truth^^

Just change name of haulier. :wink:

scotch willy:

buf:

you couldnt be more wrong if you tried downtons have the contract in con park which is accolade wines in avonmouth ,they sub it out to malcolms and keedwells in other words they get paid twice for one job , as for working for them id leave well alone ,they are well known to talk to you like [zb] and try to run you ragged , unless you your face fits , theres also alot of driver ignorance with alot of polish and welsh drivers at gloucester annomosity is unbelievable sometimes you couldnt cut it with a knife due to the two faced back stabbing from some drivers and the traffic or route ops that call them self managers are a joke ,

gloucester annomosity is unbelievable sometimes you couldnt cut it with a knife due to the two faced back stabbing from some drivers and the traffic or route ops that call them self managers are a joke

+1

Get a transfer up north everybody is happy up here :wink:

I work out of gloucester and tbh I just go in do my work and go home .

:smiley::D:D:D:D

…This doesn’t bode well if Downtons are in the frame for taking over the C&H contracts, as the rumour mill here might suggest… :open_mouth:

Personally, I don’t think any tightwad firm (from what I’ve read on this thread regarding their pay scales!) stands a chance of picking up ANY contracts darn sarth here, where we doff our wallets like others elsewhere doff their caps… :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

:open_mouth::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Theyve taken over c&h and all there 180 drivers

All over tilbury docks now trailers galore and in ch yard

Surely if it’s agency or subbing into downtons, then yes - you’ll be laid off after Christmas. For full-timers though, the pay seems going rate for up north, and the day rate a bit low for down here. £11 for nights seems fair enough though. Why on earth would anyone want to work for £8 tramping if nights are on £11 though?

I’ve done 2 weeks there since they took over C&H. They don’t seem to have made any changes so far, i.e. tried to re-tender any rates, etc. so that’s a good thing I guess. :neutral_face:

Winseer:
Surely if it’s agency or subbing into downtons, then yes - you’ll be laid off after Christmas. For full-timers though, the pay seems going rate for up north, and the day rate a bit low for down here. £11 for nights seems fair enough though. Why on earth would anyone want to work for £8 tramping if nights are on £11 though?

I’ve done 2 weeks there since they took over C&H. They don’t seem to have made any changes so far, i.e. tried to re-tender any rates, etc. so that’s a good thing I guess. :neutral_face:

Yes but the trampers moan the night men get £11 an hour and then the day men are starting from midnight or running till 10 or 11 pm on £8 an hour straight through

The trick is to leave when your full time duty gets that bad…Then come back on agency, and you get to pick and choose your own hours. :wink: