Disciplinary at work

So what was your speed down windy hill that he may be claiming he’s “caught you doing”? Was your tacho flashing up with the overspeed warning?

robroy:
Isn’t it lovely how this job has been reduced to all this schoolboy type ■■■■■■■■. :unamused:
In the old days you were given a bollocking off a bloke who was an ex.driver himself who told you to buck up your ideas and/or get yer finger out, or [zb] off, you’d say ‘‘Aye ok boss, card marked’’ and head back down the road, and it was all fogotten…job done.
Now you have to face some officious prick on 40k a year, who calls himself ‘‘A compliance Manager’’ (or some other ‘non job’ fancy title :unamused: ) and jump through hoops in his pretentious co’s ‘‘Disciplinary Procedure’’ …what a load of [zb] ■■■■■■■■, and all for 10 quid an hour. :unamused:
Is it just me or what??

It’s not just you, but sadly comes down to everybody looking for some way to make money out of a situation, so if as a manager you don’t follow the disciplinary procedure exactly, there is a chance that it goes to tribunal and your company loses and has to pay out.

My Brother in Law runs a garage, employs about 100 people, he says every so often a couple of the mechanics (not the same 2 mechanics :laughing: ) square up to each other might even throw the odd punch, the way my Brother in Law has always dealt with it was get them both in give them a bollocking and shake hands and that’s been and end of it, but it happened a couple of years ago and one of the mechanics took it to tribunal, cost the company £5000, if it happens now he has to go through the procedures, record it all and probably sack one or both of the mechanics.

robroy:
Isn’t it lovely how this job has been reduced to all this schoolboy type ■■■■■■■■. :unamused:
In the old days you were given a bollocking off a bloke who was an ex.driver himself who told you to buck up your ideas and/or get yer finger out, or [zb] off, you’d say ‘‘Aye ok boss, card marked’’ and head back down the road, and it was all fogotten…job done.
Now you have to face some officious prick on 40k a year, who calls himself ‘‘A compliance Manager’’ (or some other ‘non job’ fancy title :unamused: ) and jump through hoops in his pretentious co’s ‘‘Disciplinary Procedure’’ …what a load of [zb] ■■■■■■■■, and all for 10 quid an hour. :unamused:
Is it just me or what??

No its not just you Rob, its the way of the world now unfortunately.

I’ve recently been investigated because I shouted at one of the trainees on our firm. We work on the railway maintenance, and were up in a cherry picker basket doing some work, he decided to move the basket with out telling me or asking if it needed moving, and I ripped into him. Same as we all do if we have a problem on the job. Carried on the rest of the shift without issue. I had the following weekend off and came back to an email requesting my version of the events. Turns out the little scrote put his notice in and refused to work with me anymore stating ‘This incident was the final straw for him putting his notice in’

2 weeks later and investigation meeting lasting all of 5 minutes, then a week after that a letter stating no disciplinary action would be taken due to it being a breach of health and safety what he did. But as I stated that I thought it was nothing and that we all do it on our side of the business, they issued a letter of concern and that my temper and attitude needs to improve immediately or there will be disciplinary issues.

Apparently you cannot shout at anyone now, its classed as bullying!!! FFS what ever next

Henrys cat:
its classed as bullying!!! FFS what ever next

That’s…

Shouting and bullying.

You need to change your attitude.

DickyNick:
Was your tacho flashing up with the overspeed warning?

Doesn’t matter as long as you don’t go over 60, overspeed entries aren’t valid in the UK.

0800 ■■■■ my diff

I worked for a union haulage firm years ago where they told me and a few other drivers we had to leave on Christmas day, i refused and so did the others so they said we would be suspended. They went to the union with a schedule they’d drawn up where only one driver was off per day as they didn’t want too many drivers off at once but the union said no, they all committed the same offence on the same day so either they all have the same day off or forget about it so it was forgotten. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Conor:

DickyNick:

Doesn’t matter as long as you don’t go over 60, overspeed entries aren’t valid in the UK.

That’s not the reason behind my question Conor before you jump to a conclusion as to why I’m asking that. If the OP chooses to answer my question I’ll explain why I’ve asked that.

DickyNick:
So what was your speed down windy hill that he may be claiming he’s “caught you doing”? Was your tacho flashing up with the overspeed warning?

More than 60 anyway. That’s what my tacho readout was saying. :blush:

Conor:

DickyNick:

That rather depends on what is meant by “aren’t valid.” While it is true that DVSA and Police won’t be issuing penalty notices for overspeeds discovered during a roadside check, such records certainly do provide evidence of the speed at which the vehicle was being driven at a certain time, and that evidence certainly can be used to support a prosecution (and has been on many occasions) for careless and dangerous driving.

But we’re not talking about prosecution in this case - we’re considering disciplinary proceedings in an employment situation, and for those purposes the information from tachograph overspeed logs is just as valid as any other evidence/information.

woody2808:

DickyNick:

79 :blush: That’s what my tacho readout was saying. :blush:

Well at least you were using the brakes :smiley:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I’ve seen the video from my forward facing camera and it doesn’t even have the speed on the footage. They have, however, done a printout from the fleetboard and they’ve got me at errr… a bit more than 60mph, (just in case the authorities are reading this). I obviously didn’t realise I was doing it otherwise I would have reeled it in, all I was bothered about was getting home. I was sat in Peterborough and received a message from my sister in law that my 77 year old mum, who’s suffering from breast cancer, had fallen at home. It’s not any sort of excuse I know but I obviously wasn’t thinking straight and what I did isn’t big or clever but the longer this goes on the angrier I’m getting. It’s given me 3 weeks of stress just because some thumb-sucking pinhead has decided to play policeman. Funny thing is I actually watched him pull right in behind me as I came down the hill and if I’d have braked he’d have run straight into the back of me. Another thing that’s funny, that our lot don’t realise, is that I’ve got the white van man’s name and mobile number :smiley:
I’ll just have to take it on the chin on Friday and see what happens I suppose.
And please fellas, no comments on what a knob I’ve been…I already know that :blush:

Mazzer2:

woody2808:

DickyNick:

79 :blush: That’s what my tacho readout was saying. :blush:

Well at least you were using the brakes :smiley:

You answered that quick Mazzer, I’ve taken the speed out of my original reply in case anyone official is watching :blush:

woody2808:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I’ve seen the video from my forward facing camera and it doesn’t even have the speed on the footage. They have, however, done a printout from the fleetboard and they’ve got me at errr… a bit more than 60mph, (just in case the authorities are reading this). I obviously didn’t realise I was doing it otherwise I would have reeled it in, all I was bothered about was getting home. I was sat in Peterborough and received a message from my sister in law that my 77 year old mum, who’s suffering from breast cancer, had fallen at home. It’s not any sort of excuse I know but I obviously wasn’t thinking straight and what I did isn’t big or clever but the longer this goes on the angrier I’m getting. It’s given me 3 weeks of stress just because some thumb-sucking pinhead has decided to play policeman. Funny thing is I actually watched him pull right in behind me as I came down the hill and if I’d have braked he’d have run straight into the back of me. Another thing that’s funny, that our lot don’t realise, is that I’ve got the white van man’s name and mobile number :smiley:
And please fellas, no comments on what a knob I’ve been…I already know that :blush:

Get all that in in the meeting, good mitigation. They like that sort of thing

newmercman:
So he’s threatening to put a video up of a lorry going down a hill at 65mph, I can see your problem, I too would be embarrassed by that, I would contact the guy and ask if he would exaggerate your speed a little and add an Ice Road Truckers style voiceover making it sound a bit more death defying.

All this “you’re on camera” ■■■■■■■■ amuses me, it’s like people think a phone is a force field that’s going to protect them when they start waving it in your face.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Bloke driving a black BMW (no surprise there) with a reg that said HRH waved his phone at me when i refused to be bullied into giving way after he tried to queue jump.
I waved my flask at him by way of reply. I think that puzzled him.

I usually blow em a kiss when they start waving hands or phones around, that messes with their melon.

One of my old drivers carried a piece of card with ■■■■■■■■ written on it in marker pen, he would hold it up to people who started ranting and raving at him, he has two now, one in English and the other in Romanian.

As much as many on here don’t like them, this thread shows why it is important to be in a union.

Why, will a union stop you from speeding?

Whilst I totally disagree with the van drivers actions, at least the OP has taken it on the chin. A union would just screw it up more as they do with most things

newmercman:
I usually blow em a kiss when they start waving hands or phones around, that messes with their melon.

One of my old drivers carried a piece of card with ■■■■■■■■ written on it in marker pen, he would hold it up to people who started ranting and raving at him, he has two now, one in English and the other in Romanian.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1 there.
to save irritation when running out of ink,i have started just unleashing the middle finger for camera-road commander-part time armchair vikings as its something i never forget to carry with me at all time,plus a wee kiss and a laugh somewhat irritates more i think.
just treat them with complete indifference coupled with the contempt they deserve. just complete bellends. :smiley:

woody2808:

I’d be asking myself ‘What’s the worst they can do here’ but I certainly would not be putting myseof under any kind of stress, they aint that important mate despite their high self opinion. :unamused:

Don’t hold me to this, but I really don’t think you’ll get the boot, in fact you may even get a result… suspension with full pay. :sunglasses: what’s not to like about that. :smiley:

After seeing your speed that was quoted :open_mouth: :blush: you are in the wrong tbf, …so just play along with their little games, make all the right noises, look regretful, (whilst at the same time secretly thinking ‘‘Up yours you tossers’’ ) and hope that the snide little prick with the camera gets it wedged up his arse by the next driver he squeals like a pig on. :smiling_imp:
Think positive…they can’t hang you. :bulb: