Difference between driving rigid and artic

Hi Tiggz :smiley: ,

thanks for those words of encouragment :smiley: :smiley: , i am hoping i will be fine on class one as i passed class 2 first time so i feel fairly confident bout driving the the artic. itā€™s all gonna be about how my nerves hold up on the day of the test - like pressure of doing the test - then the financial pressure if i dont pass first time as you will probably know yourself it is not cheap to learn to drive nowadays :frowning: . but will try and put it all at back of my mind, will let you know how i get on :smiley: :smiley:

The one thing i learn,t which meant everything to me when
reversing. When reversing an artic to straighten the tractor to
the trailer steer towards the mirror that shows the most
trailer in it.
I know this is known by most people but all i can say is
this one point turned a reversing nightmare into something i
am beginning to understand.

the diffrence between a rigid and artic is :

about Ā£1.50 in this area :blush:

jon

Manouvering, use a LOT less steering when manouvering an artic, especially backwards. Going from a 32t tipper to an artic is possibly the worst move ever. You get so used to using full lock for almost everything when manouvering that itā€™s hard to remember that 99% of the time an artic will do the same thing with almost no steering effort.

jonboy:
the diffrence between a rigid and artic is :

about Ā£1.50 in this area :blush:

jon

always good for a laugh jonboy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i was going to say one bends one doesnā€™t :laughing:

the main two things you look out for are width and length,always keep them in mind.donā€™t worry about weather it has 8 gears or 16 gears thats not a problem ,it will be like 2nd nature to you after a couple of days out on the road.when coupling a trailer up,once you have connected the unit to trl

1stā€¦ place clip in on the 5th wheel
2ndā€¦connect suzzieā€™s ( work from furthest suzzie to nearest )
3rdā€¦wind legs up ( mind to place winding handle away ) release trl brake if applyed
4thā€¦close back doors if got any,and place number plate on.
5thā€¦check lights and indicators

uncoupling

apply trl brake
remove suzzies ( this time nearest to furthest )
drop trl legs ( remember to place handle away )
remove trl number plate
remove 5th wheel clip.and pull leaver
into cab and pull away from underneith trl,slowly
have fun and good luck
:wink:

Try not to worry too much, we have all been there. Reversing is usually the thing that getā€™s to people the most and as has already been stated if your trailer is in your mirror and you donā€™t want it there then steer at it but be aware that a trailer needs time to react so push her back and see where she is going then adjust your lock accordingly. Forwards or backwards, you steer the frount of a rigid and the back of an artic.
Good Luck!