Rigids or do artic licence straight away?

hi all

i am just about to start on my cat c training on thursday have done all the theory etc (training diary on here)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67532

just a quick question…(i am jumping ahead of myself asking it tho as havent even strted training for cat c yet) but all the same i want to eventually drive artics but am unsure whether to do my artic straight after my rigid or get a bit of experience driving them 1st.

also the training company i am using has a wagon and drag is this the same to drive as an artic reversing the same way etc

thanks

john

Hey Buddy,

I posted in the other thread. Like you I haven’t started either YET but here’s my two cents.

I often wondered about going for my artic straight after I passed my rigid, but you have to think you’d be well and truly throwing yourself in at the deep end with a vehicle twice as long as you’re probably used to. Definitely a challenge and if you take it on, a challenge worth documenting! Keep us informed

The principles are exactly the same whether it’s W & D or artic. My only question would be have you driven anything for a living? If yes and it seems like the job for you then go for it. If not I’d suggest one step at a time for now.

Hi

Thanks for the replies Hi Sam yes iwill post all my progress the nextvinstallment will be Thursday and hopefully it will be a I have passed!!! Next week :slight_smile:

Hi 44 tonne

Yes I have driven 7.5 tonne lorries but it was about 5 years ago but since then I have been in the stores warehousing doing everything from picking orders to loading lorries
I also did a bit of shunting when I was at 1 company I have wanted to drive for a living for some years but another job has always come up in stores or warehousing thanks again fir replies

Regards

John

Wanna-b-a-newbie:
Hi

Thanks for the replies Hi Sam yes iwill post all my progress the nextvinstallment will be Thursday and hopefully it will be a I have passed!!! Next week :slight_smile:

Hi 44 tonne

Yes I have driven 7.5 tonne lorries but it was about 5 years ago but since then I have been in the stores warehousing doing everything from picking orders to loading lorries
I also did a bit of shunting when I was at 1 company I have wanted to drive for a living for some years but another job has always come up in stores or warehousing thanks again fir replies

Regards

John

So did you enjoy your time on the road or were you glad to get away from it?

You should quite easily pass the CE test with no C experience so you may as well do it straightaway IMO.

I would do them back to back. That way you will have somewhat of an advantage going for a cat C job with a class 1 aswell (C+E) over someone that has just got a cat C.

Look at it this way… Most companies run artics and rigids, if they are advertising for a rigid driver they would rather have someone that can cover artic runs aswell if need be rather than limit themselves to a driver that can only drive rigids. And when u feel the time is right u can get out on the road in an artic.

FarnboroughBoy11:
I would do them back to back. That way you will have somewhat of an advantage going for a cat C job with a class 1 aswell (C+E) over someone that has just got a cat C.

Look at it this way… Most companies run artics and rigids, if they are advertising for a rigid driver they would rather have someone that can cover artic runs aswell if need be rather than limit themselves to a driver that can only drive rigids. And when u feel the time is right u can get out on the road in an artic.

I agree with all of the above.

12 years ago I passed my (then) class 2, did the equivelent of approximately 1 weeks driving then passed my class 1. Found a full time job in three days. All I had experience wise was the 1 week on class 2. A very scary but interesting time. It took me around 18 months to be 100% confident with the artics.
If you have the balls then do it!
In todays market you need anything and everything that will give you an advantage.

:slight_smile:

Hi 44 Tonne

Yes enjoyed driving when I was doing it I live near sunny Chester and I used to drive round liverpool over to Crewe and over in Macclesfield it was a kerbside collection of waste paper in different areas I had 1 person with me usually it was great probably would of stayed longer but a new company took over the tender called city logistics they were crap and what made it worse was they put a new manager in place absolute prat did not know his ■■■ from his elbow so I found work elsewhere and the rest as they say is history :slight_smile:
Where do you come from and how long have you been driving?

Thanks everyone for the replies
But just to clarify would wagon and drag the same principle as in would I be able to drive an artic in the same way reversing especially

Thanks
John

You might have to wait a fair bit before getting any class C work so if you decide to go for C+E your out of practice. Doing it more or less back to back keeps you in the “zone” personally the jump from a wee corsa to an 18 ton was worse than my recent try out in the artic coming off the back of my C pass.

However I did have problems reversing which I don’t normally have with cars or rigid, there’s always something :laughing: swings,roundabouts :unamused: .

They are different but not that much. The trailer on an artic will cut in more on cornering where as the drag on a drawbar will tend to follow the line of the rigid. Reversing is slightly different, you tend to loose the trailer quicker on a drag, where as the artic you can get into tighter places as the unit is much more agile in manoeuvring.

Wagon and drags are mostly used for trunking but doing multi drop you will likely drop the drag then with the rigid go off and do another delivery anyway.

On the artics it’s just a matter of taking your time in tight places, don’t rush, ■■■■ the cars let them wait, take a shunt, get out have a look. And enjoy it.

If you go for your CE straight away you are still in learning mode so might be easier to take in this would also depend on your instructor ( that another can of worms )

Cant really answer your other question as only ever driven an artic not driven a W&D but as far as I am aware the principle is the same although slightly different

IMO!!

Do them back to back!! Fresh in your mind…

Mark

Thanks for the replies I reckon I will have to try and get funds sorted and hopefully get my c+e done asap as long as I can pass the c without to many problems

Regards

John

Sam Millar:
Hey Buddy,

I posted in the other thread. Like you I haven’t started either YET but here’s my two cents.

I often wondered about going for my artic straight after I passed my rigid, but you have to think you’d be well and truly throwing yourself in at the deep end with a vehicle twice as long as you’re probably used to. Definitely a challenge and if you take it on, a challenge worth documenting! Keep us informed

Chances are you will do your C+E on a Drawbar/Wagon and Drag so its exactly the same. Also if you do it with the same company you will probs drive the same truck with a trailer on the back.

I did my C and went straight on and did the C+E and got a clear round, no minors. Would definitely advise it while your in the test routine of mirror checks, steering, indicators, vehicle checks. All that basic stuff, the same as when you did your car test. Go for it Guys!!

Its a while ago since I done my car test no checks IIRC same as bike test

But that was back in the day :laughing: :laughing:

I think with your 7.5T experience then do both back to back.
If, like me you had no ‘commercial’ driving experience then don’t. I’m learning the hard way and there is so much to learn it can be quite ‘daunting’.
Good luck.