Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Well another scorcher today but started mowing at 8am and a bit of breeze by the river, not a heavy crop as SSSI but i’ll take what’s there. Cut it about a month later last year so a little more to be had going to check it tonight as the baler is booked for tomorrow we shall see, cheers Buzzer.

Photo0753.jpg

Cut and baled & Wrapped and in the barn in 24 hours, so hot in that field with a breeze up the river as well, only 23 bales but lovely organic stuff all done in two hours today, Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Well it looks a real spot you’ve got down by the river, are you bothered by many ramblers.?
Up ere we’ve loads of em trailing all through our mowing grass looking for the footpath allegedly, a bloody nuisance to be honest.
Another busy day on the trucking front, parked up near Stirling this evening after tipping at the Highland show again.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170620_003.jpg

wrighty:
Evening Buzzer

Well it looks a real spot you’ve got down by the river, are you bothered by many ramblers.?
Up ere we’ve loads of em trailing all through our mowing grass looking for the footpath allegedly, a bloody nuisance to be honest.
Another busy day on the trucking front, parked up near Stirling this evening after tipping at the Highland show again.

Cheers Wrighty.

No mate we don’t get any ramblers as not many people even know its there, just the odd bate diggers on the foreshore when tides out but best to leave them be else they may cut fences and they have a way in we out that. More people see it from boats to be honest going up and down the river. Just got back from me check on the steers down there, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

wrighty:
Evening Buzzer

Cheers Wrighty.

No mate we don’t get any ramblers as not many people even know its there, just the odd bate diggers on the foreshore when tides out but best to leave them be else they may cut fences and they have a way in we out that. More people see it from boats to be honest going up and down the river. Just got back from me check on the steers down there, cheers Buzzer.

Out of intrest Buzzer and knowing that cows are not the smartest animals around,do you ever get any stuck
down by the river as i imagine it must get pretty soft ?

I remember as a kid working on a farm for some pocket money and they had a mad friesian bull that was
only 18 months old,but was a bit of a freak in as much as how big and strong he was. You will be familiar
with the head locks they build into the wall to hold the cow/bull when the vet wants to check them over.
He managed to pull it completely out of the wall not once but twice. Then when he was ■■■■■ he decided
to try and jump a five bar gate after some females,which did not end well for the gate ! :laughing:

buzzer10.PNG

Hi Dean touch wood I have not had any cattle stuck as of yet but there are places on that marsh you have to be extremely cautious and I always have a stick mainly as like a third leg but you can also use it like a snow boot to spread the weight if you should fall over. Went today to check as usual and do a head count and they were all bunched in a corner in the shade as it does get extremely hot, they graze more in the early evening and morning as a rule.
You need proper handling equipment if you are dealing with cattle of any sort and I have a crush which is fully adjustable for different sized animals, the yoke that pinches there neck has four settings and also I have fourteen ten foot long by five foot high mobile fence gates which interlock with pins so you can set up more or less anywhere a must for ease of working and vets charge by the hour so you don’t need escaping animals when they are on the pay chit

Photo0758.jpg

Evening Buzzer

Busy day today left home at 4am tipped Alfreton, down to Canterbury and then finished at Ivychurch and then loaded at Redhill. Running up to Gaydon in the morning to load some more machines then yam, aye it’s all go.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170621_004.jpg

Wrighty you must have a good bod knowing what you can get on your trailers as they always seem pretty full, on the home front today went and collected 50lb of raspberries & 55lb of strawberries which all had to have the cores removed for going in the freezer ready for wet days and jam making, just the goose gogs now and we are set up as already got apricots two weeks ago. Took three hours to decore them strawbs but watched Ascot in the background, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Wrighty you must have a good bod knowing what you can get on your trailers as they always seem pretty full, on the home front today went and collected 50lb of raspberries & 55lb of strawberries which all had to have the cores removed for going in the freezer ready for wet days and jam making, just the goose gogs now and we are set up as already got apricots two weeks ago. Took three hours to decore them strawbs but watched Ascot in the background, cheers Buzzer.

Now then Buzzer I hope it wasn’t you stripped to the waist fighting “all comers” in the Silver Ring at Ascot yesterday ? Have a look on the Daily Mail/ Express sites ! a lot of squaring up but no blows landed !! probably too much Scrumpy ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis me virtually tea total just the odd pint but its easy when in a crowd having a good time to have a little excess then it all goes ■■■■ up and as I have always advocated horses and booze don’t go together but then at the races its a bit different.
Well harvesting in the veg plot today ready for our Sunday roast beef dinner, we have guests at the table tomorrow and the spuds and French beans are home grown, love them sqweeky beans and we will be eating them most days now for three months or so and never tire of them also the spuds good hot or cold, cheers Buzzer.

Morning Buzzer

Been another busy weekend up ere, mowing more rushes and then we had a cow calving which needed our assistance with the calving aid. A nice big pure Limi bull thankfully mother and calf are doing well, back to it tomorrow we are all going up to the Highland show to pick tractors and machinery up to re-distribute around the country…all good fun.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170624_001.jpg

WP_20170624_022.jpg

Now then Wrighty that’s a fair crop of sieves ( as they are called in some parts of ■■■■■■■■ you are mowing ! what do you do with them ? big bale them for bedding or summat ? and a message for Buzzer, we are having a leg of lamb to-day home bred and part of a whole lamb given to me for my 70th by relatives of Taylor ATV who Wrighty will know ! Oh! and Wrighty I’m just reading a book at the moment about your local boozer “Tan Hill” haven’t got to a mention of you yet but there sure seem to be some rum farmers about the area who have frequented the pub over the years ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Now then Wrighty that’s a fair crop of sieves ( as they are called in some parts of ■■■■■■■■ you are mowing ! what do you do with them ? big bale them for bedding or summat ? and a message for Buzzer, we are having a leg of lamb to-day home bred and part of a whole lamb given to me for my 70th by relatives of Taylor ATV who Wrighty will know ! Oh! and Wrighty I’m just reading a book at the moment about your local boozer “Tan Hill” haven’t got to a mention of you yet but there sure seem to be some rum farmers about the area who have frequented the pub over the years ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Evening Dennis

We are just cutting the sieves and in about a months time we will spray them, it’s our intention to try and reclaim some grass so we can have more grazing.
And yes I know Robert Taylor+sons from the Green Smithy at Bentham, we used to deal with them in the late 80’s when they became Case IH dealers for our area.
Most of the family were involved in the business but as time’s gone by some have retired and now the business has been taken over by Paxtons, others like Tom branched out and started on his own as Taylor ATV with branches at York and Hawes.
Must admit the Tan Hill is a real spot for a night out but it’s not quite our local (about 25mins drive) so we dont go that often, Hardraw is our regular watering hole and only a 5min drive…

Cheers Wrighty.

Blow me Wrighty that is some calf you got there and at first glance I thought that was the mothers head lookin round corner until I looked more closely, bet you are pleased with him and can you send us a drop of the wet stuff please as Balders has let us down in the South, Buzzer.

WP_20170624_001.jpg

Evening Buzzer

Yes he is a fair lad weighs a bit as well, he took a bit of pulling but with the calving aid it was a steady job and today he’s up and sucking his mam.
Looking at the forecast we are going to get some rain up ere on tuesday, but that won’t help you down there so maybe give Baldrick a call and order some.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170624_015.jpg

WP_20170624_004.jpg

Same name as me but did not know they existed, Buzzer.

Hello Buzzer when did you plant those French beans !!! cos mine are only in flower, I think I planted them in March (I dont write stuff down) and its a lot warmer over here!!! Andy

horaces first:
Hello Buzzer when did you plant those French beans !!! cos mine are only in flower, I think I planted them in March (I dont write stuff down) and its a lot warmer over here!!! Andy

Hi Andy I plant my beans in pots at the beginning of April both French climbers and Runners and bring them on in a greenhouse then these were transplanted on the 8th of May out side, I use Heras fence for the beans to climb up and before planting I install a weeper hose at the bottom of the row and this ensures the water goes where its meant to. They go on for about three months producing and we never tire of eating them, tried freezing them but never the same but we do sell a lot of beans to our egg customers so it pays for the compost and all the other seeds, cheers Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Well it must be 15yrs since I last used ropes and sheets so today was a bit of trial and error, it should give Bewick something to say but I don’t think I will be posting these pics on the roping and sheeting thread.
Loaded up with exhibition equipment from the Highland show and a tractor going down Cambridgeshire in the morning.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170626_004.jpg

WP_20170626_003.jpg

Nice bit of rain we have had, not a downpour but just a nice steady drizzle and you can almost see the grass start to grow where we cut for haylage only last week so well pleased about that. Today was Mrs D’s birthday but despite me offering to take her out she declined and went to work in the office as usual as she has done for over Fourty years she deserves a medal really but ime sure there are a few on here who have similar spouses doing the same to keep the company wheels roling. Got my annual application through for my HGV medical today so that’s the next thing to deal with, first the opticians then the doctor to get a ticket. On the gardening front just picked ten pounds of French beans and two of runners ready for sale tomorrow so we will see how they go, not me I am off to a collective agricultural auction , cheers Buzzer.