Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Hi Buzzer,
was down your way on Thurs in Burslesdon & Hamble thought i may of seen you out with the horses , but i see now you have had to sell them all on, sad day for you, as everybody says your health comes first,

all the best Alan.

Buzzer:
Well this week I sold my equine interests, four horses two carriages several sets of harness and relative equipment as well as me Scania truck all to one man. Hard decision to make but been at it for over twenty years and I have to have an operation on me shoulder which means three months out to let it repair. Never say never but one can always go again if I miss it too much but it is time consuming and you need assistance when driving out. For now its just the chook’s and the cattle on the livestock front, Buzzer.

Baldrick1953:
You’ll be missed on the highways and bywayes I’m sure JD… Often saw you passing when I had the cottage atop Swanwick Lane.
Great that you got a buyer to buy the whole shooting match including the Skoda!

Big decision knowing when to give something up…

I was talking to the local flasher in Ballybunion. He’s been at it twenty years. Said he was going to pack it in but told me he’s now " going to stick it out for another year " :laughing: :open_mouth: :laughing:

St Patrick’s Day here was a total washout Wrighty… Fierce wind and horizontal rain… Looking better after next Thursday and I’m looking forward to some fishing.

Cheers all.
Balders.

Bloody hell Baldrick you were right with your weather forecast, torrential rain all day just fortunate for us that it was a quiet night in the lambing shed so we did’nt have to turn any out today…

Cheers Wrighty.

Wrighty that do look a tad wet mate had nought like that today here although we were forecast to have some, just a little mist in the air is all we got. Loaded two carriages and related gear into my lorry with help from a mate and Mrs D when that were done we moved a ten foot container inside the barn in readiness for when the horse go and we can remove the stabling, keeping two pens as its always handy to have an isolation pen just in case. This leaves the main body of the barn for trailers equipment and tractor and pickup, the trouble is if you got space you always find summit to fill it up with usually as it will come in handy one day but never does. we did not stop there as one of the carriages came out of a 20ft container so we emptied the garage out and had a right old tidy up. Roast lamb for dinner and we are proper knackered now, cheers Buzzer.

Today the horses and all there gear departed to there new home, they left at about 12.30 and I have been in the barn this afternoon doing some preparation work ready to clean out the pens for the last time. There was definitely a quietness and I suspect I shall miss them but the chap said as he was leaving come on down if you fancy a trip out on a carriage so that was a nice touch. Still got me chook’s and the cattle to keep me occupied so still things to do Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Don’t worry Richard im’e on to another truck already with a 24ft6 cattle body on a Volvo chassis, will I need to transfer the data tag toll bleeper on my way to markets or will the old one do ? Don’t worry about the horse manure shortage as there is plenty of Bull [zb] on here to keep them going cheers JD.

John,

What a shame it’s 24ft 6ins body,if it had been 24ft 3ins it would have been exempt from the Wellow LEZ charge :unamused: If you need a drivers mate one day when you are going to market let me know I can always stand at the roundabout,and I have commoners rights so we won’t need to pay the toll !!

Went to Blyth Northumberland today, High winds in Blyth, pouring with rain in Newcastle,snow at Scotch Corner,sunny in Leicester,heavy rain and winds in Banbury,and then in Winchester a chap in his cabriolet with the hood down !! Crazy weather.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Buzzer:
Don’t worry Richard im’e on to another truck already with a 24ft6 cattle body on a Volvo chassis, will I need to transfer the data tag toll bleeper on my way to markets or will the old one do ? Don’t worry about the horse manure shortage as there is plenty of Bull [zb] on here to keep them going cheers JD.

John,

What a shame it’s 24ft 6ins body,if it had been 24ft 3ins it would have been exempt from the Wellow LEZ charge :unamused: If you need a drivers mate one day when you are going to market let me know I can always stand at the roundabout,and I have commoners rights so we won’t need to pay the toll !!

Went to Blyth Northumberland today, High winds in Blyth, pouring with rain in Newcastle,snow at Scotch Corner,sunny in Leicester,heavy rain and winds in Banbury,and then in Winchester a chap in his cabriolet with the hood down !! Crazy weather.

Regards
Richard

Hi Dicky that chap at Winchester wernt Mappo by any chance with the hood down on his cabriolet was it, you would know as his only has two wheels and two pedals, JD.

Wrighty just to make you a tad jealous as we are usually a bit in front down South so took some pictures as we walked “Woody” round the field this morning but had wellies on else you get wet feet, cant believe how its took off and the fertilizer goes on next week then see it rocket, Reckon its 10 to 12 inches now and this is the field I had direct drilled at the back end of last year so well impressed with that. Frome again yesterday but every thing I bid on made more than I wanted to give, you look at em and think ide give £850 for them and then someone puts em in at £900 but i’ll keep trying till I get the five more which takes me to the 20 I want to be at, Buzzer

Photo0662.jpg

Evening Buzzer

We can only dream of grass like that, any shoots up ere are soon nibbled off by newly lambed yows. Lambing is going at full speed now just got in the house at 9pm enjoying a brew and a sarnie…
Lets hope this weather continues for a while it’s certainly drying the land up no end, so more of the same please Baldrick.

Cheers Wrighty.

On its way Wrighty…

The farmers here are making the most of it. Up and down our lane all day with tankers full of slurry ( I assume? ) …
I watched them go back and forth and waved … Whilst sitting in the sun enjoying a glass of home made wine. I’m sure they were thinking , you ■■■■■■■■■■

No sheep in this neck of the woods, all cattle.

I have to say Wrighty that you do a great job… Long shifts on the wagons and the same on the farm.
Alice must do a great job whilst you’re away.
Love the pics you post of the farm and the views…
Take it easy… Balders. :wink:

Just found this on Facebook. Hope it isn’t anything to do with Wrighty or Buzzer…

John.

Wrighty I knew that you would like some grass like that up your end, today I went with a mate to the rented ground summer grazing with a mate who logged up a fallen lim off an oak tree, while he was busy with that I plumbed in the water saving system to the tank I set up a couple of weeks ago, it is slow to fill only under gravity feed but went back tonight to check it and the ball ■■■■ shut of just fine so this will save a lot of time rather than filling by hand. Also the mole catcher came and set a few traps as they make such a mess.
On another note Wrighty I spotted this for sale on ebay for sale and no doubt you can fill us in on the history, we always des tripe and de name ours before sale and for us that is quite easy as only sticky lettering, cheers Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

Yes good old motor that, it will have going on for 2million k’s on it now I had one of it’s sisters FKS which is still in daily use on general haulage. It’s still lettered up because it has traditional sign writing and not stickers.
I am having a change of job in two weeks time as I have handed in my notice with S J Bargh, after 13 years time has come to move onto pastures new and will be piloting a low loader moving tractors and agricultural machinery for Colin Parker of Sedbergh. So some interesting times ahead for me, back on to a mon-fri shift pattern with farming now going to be done on a weekend.

Cheers Wrighty.

new truck 012.jpg

Wrighty were you head hunted for your new job or was it just your decision to move to a more regular pattern of work ? moving agricultural machinery could be an advantage to you especially if you were on the look out for the odd bit of machinery as you will be frequenting many a farm yard no doubt. What motor are you driving for the new outfit and we shall obviously get a more varied type of pictures from you in the future eh. Just think you are going to have to put up we a Sunday roast now every week instead of sandwiches in a layby on your travels, they say change is as good as a rest so good luck we the new job mate, Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

It was my decision to change jobs been at Bargh’s a total of 23 years in two stints, so it’s time to move on and try something different.
Not sure what my motor will be but there will be plenty of photos in the coming weeks, as the work is varied, tractors one day farm machinery the next with a bit of straw in between.

Cheers Wrighty.

Hi all just want to say good luck with new job wrighty as buzzer said a change is a good as a rest. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes good luck Wrighty, you wont need it ,with a work record that long with one company speaks for itself…

WEEKEND work seems the norm now days ,well it was not!!! ,that is why drivers enjoyed the job back then,mostley Scots men were the only ones that worked sat night ,Sunday … untill supermarkets got there teeth into road haulage weekends were you own-ish…you will be able to suss all the farm bargains.pdb.

Well this definitely caused a bit of laughter round the sale ring at Salisbury market today, this was the first lot in the ring a pedigree 10 month old Hereford bull calf and must have thought this is a nice place to lay down and did exactly that, in all the years I have been going to markets I have never seen that before but did cause some chuckling round the ring, Buzzer.

Nice one BUZZER i hope that will not be his work ethic…

Buzzer ,yes sorry its me again ,would you be able to explain to me what is going on within FRANCE and BELGIAN THAT DRIVERS TAKING A 45 HOUR WEEKEND BREAK ARE GETTING A FINE ■■?as you are closer to European Haulage within your family i am sure you will have the correct info ,because to me it is beyond my comprehension .Or is it just labys. not service areas??
I remember well in any of the then non e.e.c countrys you never went off the hard standing [ie not on the grass] them old buses and trailers curtains all drawn [on holiday they all would get off and do their toilets behind the edge.

i do understand that if you get 4 or 5 drivers from the same country and company they may well look as if they are taking over like we all did …well except me i used to find my own spot…

Hi all,there was a thing on radio 4 the other day it was said on there that you have to take a week-end break away from the truck ? new one on me that. Did not look very busy in Salisbury Buzzer. :stuck_out_tongue: