Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

peggydeckboy:
After reading your last post buzzer i started to sort of sing -song it, then , i thought,it is a rhyme/poem very good as well it is you who should be writing a book,when i read the post you all put up from the 1970s esp the new VENTIGMILIE going on the old road before the auto route must have been frighting,bad enough going to NIECE market in the 1980s …if you did not live near a port back then 1970s like me we had no idea such work was being done all though i used to go to all the main docks, i never new about EUROPEAN HAULAGE untill 1980 so you old boys done well…ps like the new beasts,could be tucking in to one of their steaks this time next year…

For the first time for years i pan fired two" new-Zealand" -lamb leg steaks ,6 mins each side , eaten with [mint[ out of a jar, floured white rice] ,with broad beans [frozen]taken out of the shells, just put them in a little hot water and pop them out ,peas,pint of old speckled hen[bottle] …retirement the best job i ever had,however no UK lamb around,well even mutton, where is it …IS IT MOSTLY EXPORTED .any meat men still doing the meat job or is it not health and safety now ■■ I HAVE NO IDEA…PDB.

Hi PDB, you’re stirring memories with the mention of Owld Speckled 'En, I remember it well, tasted it a time or two on draught, read about it here etn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Speckled_Hen to find how it got it’s name.
Cheers
Oily

Buzzer,found this one on a foreign website.

buzzer1.jpg

DEANB:

DEAN she was nicknamed “the pig trotter” as it was an ex Dutch truck hauling pigs to Italy, two trips a week one to Naples then a shorter run to Rome every week double manned, she had over a million kilometers on her when we got her Scott tried to kill her, she picked up a couple of rings on a piston but we revamped her and she kept on going, hard to kill those V8 Scania motors and they pulled like a train, wish I still had her tucked away in the barn Buzzer.

Buzzer:

DEANB:

DEAN she was nicknamed “the pig trotter” as it was an ex Dutch truck hauling pigs to Italy, two trips a week one to Naples then a shorter run to Rome every week double manned, she had over a million kilometers on her when we got her Scott tried to kill her, she picked up a couple of rings on a piston but we revamped her and she kept on going, hard to kill those V8 Scania motors and they pulled like a train, wish I still had her tucked away in the barn Buzzer.

Just run in then chap at a million ! :smiley:

Farming report tonight and a beautiful day here today almost thought it was spring and the grass is definitely on the move and ordered some fertilizer to be put on as soon as my man can, so my fencer mate came and we did a bit of work down the summer let ground, fitted the water tank up just got to plumb her in now so she’s on a ballcock. Mended another fence round a pond where a calf got in and jumped out, never broke the wire but made it slack then back home and built a runway for the chicken so they only go in my top paddock and if it stays dry I can do some remedial work and chuck some rye grass seed in the bottom half as its a tad bare in places, all in all a good day but I am knackered tonight but of to Salisbury tomorrow to have a nose to see if there is any thing there any good, Buzzer.

Photo0653.jpg

Photo0652.jpg

Evening Buzzer

Also been a busy day up ere spreading muck, was going well until the alternator packed in eventually the battery went flat and the loader tractor just stopped(thats the trouble with modern technology) so that ended the day for us…
Had to ceasarean a heifer last night and ended up with a rather large bull, which will ■■■■ a bottle but as yet has not learnt to suckle his mam, oh the joys of farming. Back to the day job tomorrow a load of milk to Leeds and then load cream out of the same dairy for Chester so should keep us busy.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170313_006.jpg

WP_20170313_002.jpg

WP_20170313_001.jpg

Wrighty when at Frome market on Friday last there were six pure Lim steers at 12 months old came through, absolutely massive sold in two lots of three the first batch £1040 and the second £1025 but were the real deal, Buzzer

Another one of yours buzzer popping up on a foreign site.

DEAN that’s an old picture judging by the old shape globy and it had a Sydney Hart trailer on so that’s a while ago could be at there pack house in San Fulgencio Spain, I have never been there but someone might recognise it.
On the farming front went to Salisbury market today and had no truck as it is in for MOT and sods law I bought 8 steers so had to get a friend to bring them home for me, all Simmental X’s pictures to follow just forgot to take any today, Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Your shed will be filling up nicely how many more are you wanting.?,good to see the Limi prices holding up. Bit of a result at home this morning our caesarean calf was up and sucking on it’s own, parked at Skem tonight with a 6am tip int morn then up to Bellshill to load…

Cheers Wrighty.

Well this week I sold my equine interests, four horses two carriages several sets of harness and relative equipment as well as me Scania truck all to one man. Hard decision to make but been at it for over twenty years and I have to have an operation on me shoulder which means three months out to let it repair. Never say never but one can always go again if I miss it too much but it is time consuming and you need assistance when driving out. For now its just the chook’s and the cattle on the livestock front, Buzzer.

Bit of shock Buzzer to read that, being an avid reader of your personal posts I have gathered you are a man of principal and integrity, everything so well turned out, no half measures when tackling a job, unsuited to not being fully hands on, so I wish you well in what comes next, somehow I cannot see you being idle. Good luck with the op.
Oily

Buzzer:
Well this week I sold my equine interests, four horses two carriages several sets of harness and relative equipment as well as me Scania truck all to one man. Hard decision to make but been at it for over twenty years and I have to have an operation on me shoulder which means three months out to let it repair. Never say never but one can always go again if I miss it too much but it is time consuming and you need assistance when driving out. For now its just the chook’s and the cattle on the livestock front, Buzzer.

Sorry that you have sold your beautiful horses and tackle.Hard decision to make but I’m sure you are making the right one. I had a shoulder joint replacement in 99.Took three months for mine to properly mend. Well worth the time though. Never had any pain since. Wish you well John.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry to hear of the decision you have had to make Buzzer but like I had to do you can’t be over sentimental, your health and well being comes first and we both know that you have to be “well up to the job” where Hoss’es are concerned, especially four 'andfuls like you handled ! It makes you wonder how these old Coachman of yesteryear kept going as they got older when it was a real job of work in all weathers. Anyway I bet the knacker man has had a good “do” and he will be in the boozer toasting your continued good health ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Sorry Buzzer couldn’t resist :blush: Hope your up coming Op goes well and when you a fully fit again I reckon you should get your “hand down” and go for a team of six !! Don’t forget there are no pockets in a shroud so you can’t it with you ! Regards Dennis.

Buzzer:

Evening Buzzer

What a shame that impressive outfit has had to go, but your health is the most important thing and if it’s three months rest then thats what it’ll have to be. Having said that there’s some one handed lambing work going up ere if your interested, just starting to lamb now that the weathers decided to turn wet and very windy…

All the best

Wrighty.

Thanks gentlemen for your kind words, you never know whats in the future so you may see a return. Having been involved for a few years in’t equine circles Im’e sure there will be a few opportunities to cadge a ride or two on someone elses outfit and one can always go again as I stated earlier.
Just got to get the spuds in the ground and the beans potted up and in the green house so that’s pressing now, then a bit of rolling and get the fert on the grass and watch it take off and should hopefully ready by the time we have to cut it and make the haylage.
The op is not till May middle of and hopefully cattle out by then so not so much day to day chores but have good help available if needed.
Thanks for the offer of lambing Wrighty but have never had out to do wee sheep only eating lamb of the plate but if you got em inside it must be better. The weather down here this week has been proper spring like but you up there always seem to get a rougher deal, you best have words with Baldrick, cheers Buzzer.

Yes Buzzer i all so would like to wish you well for your operation ,i bet its your right shoulder where you probably used to open the tacho head and change cards when driving, and carrying the odd lazy driver ,you must have had one? or all the old handball [swedes] i bet two bags at a time lol… as for the Horses, as a complete novice the photos have always been stunning , a lot of care and work ,im sure the chickens and young steers are at a very good home .D.B.P.

You’ll be missed on the highways and bywayes I’m sure JD… Often saw you passing when I had the cottage atop Swanwick Lane.
Great that you got a buyer to buy the whole shooting match including the Skoda!

Big decision knowing when to give something up…

I was talking to the local flasher in Ballybunion. He’s been at it twenty years. Said he was going to pack it in but told me he’s now " going to stick it out for another year " :laughing: :open_mouth: :laughing:

St Patrick’s Day here was a total washout Wrighty… Fierce wind and horizontal rain… Looking better after next Thursday and I’m looking forward to some fishing.

Cheers all.
Balders.

John,

Sorry to hear you’ve sold your horses and carriages I know how much you enjoyed them, I hope the chap you sold them to will let you ride with him sometimes, when you have recovered from your operation,which I hope goes well.

I was at a meeting of the West Wellow A36 L.E.Z. commitee last night and informed them you had sold the Scania, they said it won’t affect the revenue as you never paid it on your way to Salisbury or Frome markets,but they will miss the horse manure for their roses.

Regards
Richard

Don’t worry Richard im’e on to another truck already with a 24ft6 cattle body on a Volvo chassis, will I need to transfer the data tag toll bleeper on my way to markets or will the old one do ? Don’t worry about the horse manure shortage as there is plenty of Bull ■■■■■ on here to keep them going cheers JD.