Cummins Engines

newmercman:
Paul, the red top N14s are a well respected engine, I know quite a few people who have got so sick of breakdowns and infinite warranty claims on new engines that they have bought glider kits and shoved an N14 in them. The 525hp model seems to be the best of the ■■■■■■■ in terms of reliabilty, pulling power and gives reasonable economy to boot :wink:

Mark, glider kits, that takes me back a while.
When I first came to North America in 1985, you would see glider kits being towed all over the country. I found it strange at the time.
Just in case someone is not sure what a glider kit is; its a new chassis/cab with a steer axle, but either minus the engine and box and or the drive axles etc. normally refurbished motors and running gear from the existing fleet would be fitted in house, or at the dealership.

I currently drive an International Prostar, with the Maxforce 13l Massive EGR engine. The old MAN D20 block fitted with the old CAT heads.
A very contravercial engine to say the least. Its off the road all the time with DPF problems. We have 80 of them, and they are causing us all kinds of operational headaches, due to break downs.
The rest of the 150 motors in the fleet are Volvo’s with 15l ISX SCR, and Volvo’s D13l also with SCR. Regeneration is problematic with all of them.
You should be allowed or able to regenerate any time you want whilst parked. Passive regens whilst driving just do not work.
Surely parked Regens, at 20-60% DPF limits would save fuel and filter life, plus time which is money.
I have on more occasions than I want to remember been forced to do a no option parked Regen twice in a shift that covers 580 miles. Thats 25 mins x 2 , which quickly eats up any spare time on a tight schedule, with this heap of junk International.
Word is our replacement programme is to switch back to Volvo with a mix of D13s and ISXs, can’t happen quick enough for me.

A mate of mine is on local tipper work, he’s got a 386 Pete with a DPF equipped ISX, they do a day’s work and then leave the truck running and do a manual regen every night, there’s a bloke in the office who stays late so that he can switch them all off when the regens are finished :open_mouth:

What a complete load of ■■■■■■■■ that is, the whole point of a DPF is to protect the air quality, so to make one work if it’s been working in an urban environment (which is where the biggest benefit to air quality is) you have to have it parked up, screaming its nuts off at 1400rpm for over an hour every day :unamused: Un[zb]ingbelievable, you couldn’t make it up :unamused:

geoffthecrowtaylor:
BMA so once again the Germans win, this is not xenophobia I would nt buy a German made car or even worse truck shove them as far up your arse as youy can get them. When I see a Reichsminister or the Polizei driving a British built vehicle, then maybe i ll agree. Crow.Oh and before i go to the land off nod SISUS original choice was…Rolls Royce.Enjoy sleeping with your neighbours the Russkis nstravia Crow.

from 50es leyland was the engine and for awhile in 70/80 the rolls as a option for more power, :open_mouth:

found this video of a ■■■■■■■ n14 500 ,
youtube.com/watch?v=4q0dr3Fzc2A
sounds just like i remember.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Good for you Carryfast, sorry Ive missed your intentions but so what, in no way am I asupporter of all things American theres no way yopu can get away from the ■■■■■■■ or the Gardner being good engines I suppose it comes down to that time honoured expression Fit for Purpose.Lets not forget that the TD120a and 120c had very narrow crankshaft journals, we changed ours mains and big ends every 18 months without fail. Ive never heard of a ■■■■■■■ with similar problems, and Scanias V8 could also be temperamental.Nice talking to you mate keep your ear to the ground Crow. And before I forget Gingerfold It may surprise you to know that most of ■■■■■■■ crankshafts were cast and machined by Ambrose Shardlow in Sheffield thats in Britain not the Ruhr not only for Shotts but also for Allentown. U.S. of A. Where did it all go wrong .Crow.

Yes, the list of engines Ambrose Shardlow made crankshafts for reads like a ‘Who’s-Who’ of engine manufacturers, including cranks for the legendary Rolls Royce Merlin engine in WW2. They supplied them either as fully machined or as billets for machining after curing and hardening by the engine maker. I don’t think that Ambrose Shardlow is still in business unless someone knows differently.

Incidentally, can anyone explain why engine blocks and crankshafts were left outside for months to cure and go rusty before being used. I know that most engine makers did it but have often wondered why.

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … aEANCpNEPE

Stobbies started buying SA Statos, plus ERF’s in the 90’s these had ■■■■■■■ engines in although they were better then the Gardners they still were not as good as the Volvos and Scanias that Stobbies owned, the rest is history.

EDDIE STOBART FAN:
Stobbies started buying SA Statos, plus ERF’s in the 90’s these had ■■■■■■■ engines in although they were better then the Gardners they still were not as good as the Volvos and Scanias that Stobbies owned, the rest is history.

Ok, you have a choice of the early 90s Stobart fleet, FL10, P113, Ford Cargo or Strato with E320 ■■■■■■■■ not a driver out there who would knock back the Strato for any of the other inferior lorries :open_mouth:

HTH :wink:

On Swifts we had 2 Transcontinentals with 290 ■■■■■■■ engines, I loved them both. I did not however like the disgusting Cargo’s with the L10 ■■■■■■■■■ in. :frowning:
The first decent truck I had here which was a Volvo VN610 was amazing and had a ■■■■■■■ 500 under the bonnet … nothing ever passed me climbing six mile hill on the mass pike even when fully loaded.

Pat Hasler:
On Swifts we had 2 Transcontinentals with 290 ■■■■■■■ engines, I loved them both. I did not however like the disgusting Cargo’s with the L10 ■■■■■■■■■ in. :frowning:
The first decent truck I had here which was a Volvo VN610 was amazing and had a ■■■■■■■ 500 under the bonnet … nothing ever passed me climbing six mile hill on the mass pike even when fully loaded.

Was that Volvo your old avatar pic Pat :question:

Red Top N14 I’m guessing, they say that 500-525hp is the optimum rating for that lump :sunglasses:

newmercman:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

Ok, you have a choice of the early 90s Stobart fleet, FL10, P113, Ford Cargo or Strato with E320 ■■■■■■■■ not a driver out there who would knock back the Strato for any of the other inferior lorries :open_mouth:

Are you forgetting about the F12’s, 3300’s, and R113’s.

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

newmercman:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

I think you’ll find that the bigger motors in the Stobart ‘fleet’ in those days were subcontractor’s vehicles. The Stobart Daf’s were 2800s not 3300s and they were the DKSE model, that was never a powerhouse, they had a 9spd Fuller and HP in the 270s, I’m not sure that there were any company F12s, I certainly can’t remember seeing any, I did see a few F12s in Stobart colours, but they were subbie’s lorrys, as they had the owners name on the back of the cab and it wasn’t Stobart :open_mouth:

the best one i had was the 350 14ltr big cam in 2 8 wheelers no bother for ten years both got set up every year great engine the 325 ones we had l10s used to let out of blue smoke and coudent pull skin of rice pudding th 14 ltr 380 was a good engine 2

I couldn’t give a toss about Stobarts, this is a thread about ■■■■■■■ engines not how many and how well a Daf Spacecab performed and if it was better than whatever.
Let’s not ruin this thread when there are numerous (and pointless) threads on other forums about their wagons.
Good evening from a grump who’s starting to get tipper withdrawal symptoms. :laughing:

newmercman:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

newmercman:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

I think you’ll find that the bigger motors in the Stobart ‘fleet’ in those days were subcontractor’s vehicles. The Stobart Daf’s were 2800s not 3300s and they were the DKSE model, that was never a powerhouse, they had a 9spd Fuller and HP in the 270s, I’m not sure that there were any company F12s, I certainly can’t remember seeing any, I did see a few F12s in Stobart colours, but they were subbie’s lorrys, as they had the owners name on the back of the cab and it wasn’t Stobart :open_mouth:

Now I find this very interesting, I always thought that these high specifications vehicles were Stobart owned.

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

newmercman:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

newmercman:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

Now I find this very interesting, I always thought that these high specifications vehicles were Stobart owned.

Yes , well it says Heinz baked beans on the side of the bus !..

Carryfast:

Saviem:
Now dear CF, ■■■■■■■ always was, and always will be remembered as a far better lorry engine than the “green leakers”, (even if a Detroits wail is one of lifes accoustic pleasures)!Beware smokingbarrels obviously understands your world of Fire Appliances, for was not the V903 V8, a 306hp engine fitted into Nubians!!

Superb recollections Gentlemen, keep them coming, Cheerio for now.

The 903 went into the Nubian/Protector 2.

But to put things into perspective the 18 Litre 16V71 in the Pathfinder put out over 1,700 lbs/ft of torque at 1,200 rpm and 635 hp at 2,100 rpm, so more power than two 903’s.That was,of course,without bothering to turbocharge it. :open_mouth: :wink:

Although having said that they did/do get (a lot) more power out of the turbocharged 903 used in the Nubian etc than just 306 hp but it’s then just a question of how long for. :smiling_imp:

youtube.com/watch?v=tQMa7vQfFsA

That’s correct. We had a 903 in our 1975 Thornycroft Nubian Major crash tender with semi auto gearbox. Great machine and loved driving it, only problem is I’m now a bit deaf in my left ear!

Regards SB.