Crashed again

Home now. I’m going to take the rest of the week off and concentrate on uni. I don’t think I’m a natural driver and am a little disappointed in myself for crashing again. My reversing has come on so much - and then I do something silly like this.

I won’t be paying out of my pocket. It is going through the insurance. Whether my invoice is paid or not is another matter - but that’s not the end of the world.

Here are some pics of the damage. I think it’s about 2 grands worth of damage. But I am not a bodyshop expert so might be wrong.

Think you need to invest in some new eyes mate

2k and the rest! Thats a whole front corner in a body shop. At there prices for labour (the major cost) for fitting and paint wouldn’t be surprised to see 10k there

109LWB:
The hire car I had for a week was a vw tiguan.
Total bill for hire was about £16k. Totally rediculous, but I wasnt paying.

Aside from the mad amount charged for rental, I would be worried that even though a non fault claim come renewal time i’d have a 20k claim on my history versus a 6k or whatever it may be. You can see why there is a new market in claims management companies.

What’s the issue?? a bit of t-cut and cable ties will sort that out

kcrussell25:
2k and the rest! Thats a whole front corner in a body shop. At there prices for labour (the major cost) for fitting and paint wouldn’t be surprised to see 10k there

Agree, if there is even the tiniest scratch on the wheel (even if it was obviously there already) then they will put a new wheel and tyre on, and that on its own will be a grand.

Sammy, Sammy, Sammy. What part of your truck hit the Merc? Side bars or tail? I think you are going to have to swallow the repair costs but that’s what insurance is for. You should also tell your car insurers about the accidents while at work and can expect to take a hit come renewal time.

Unless the delivery failed or major damage to the truck your invoice should be paid, I’d be pee’d off if I wasn’t paid in any event.

As to your trials and tribulation a week away may be the best thing if it’s playing on your mind but I think you need to find a way, and quick, to deal with your stress and anxiety you plainly feel while driving. From your tales you seem to being pushed much harder than you are comfortable with so you really need to be a bit more assertive when dealing with your agency, clients and the public. Take your time when executing movements in tight spaces and if some one moans think how much time you lost sorting the collision out - avoidance is always better than repair. I feel for you, I really do, but the learning curve does get easier and less steep when you get past the complete novice stage. You are not the first and you certainly won’t be the last

I’m trying to have sympathy, we all make mistakes. But I find it hard to have sympathy. The amount of clat-arsery I’ve seen with people rushing and generally being careless around others property very much irritates me. Around here buses are the worst offenders. Anyway, that makes me a firm hypocrite as I smacked a building roof when I was a newbie :laughing: :wink: .

Insurance might write it off, doesn’t take a lot for them to write a car off. You can’t tell what damage has been caused. Could be lower arms, drop links, steering rack. Anything. Chatting to a garage and a 911 came in with the smallest dent in the rear bumper. 30 grand later. Whole new subframe had to be bonded in.

Maybe worth resizing your photos too, all the writing has gone tiny on the thread :smiley:

Wiretwister:
Sammy, Sammy, Sammy. What part of your truck hit the Merc? Side bars or tail? I think you are going to have to swallow the repair costs but that’s what insurance is for. You should also tell your car insurers about the accidents while at work and can expect to take a hit come renewal time.

Unless the delivery failed or major damage to the truck your invoice should be paid, I’d be pee’d off if I wasn’t paid in any event.

As to your trials and tribulation a week away may be the best thing if it’s playing on your mind but I think you need to find a way, and quick, to deal with your stress and anxiety you plainly feel while driving. From your tales you seem to being pushed much harder than you are comfortable with so you really need to be a bit more assertive when dealing with your agency, clients and the public. Take your time when executing movements in tight spaces and if some one moans think how much time you lost sorting the collision out - avoidance is always better than repair. I feel for you, I really do, but the learning curve does get easier and less steep when you get past the complete novice stage. You are not the first and you certainly won’t be the last

Rear side bar. I think. The honest truth is that I had no idea I’d hit it. I was pulling to go and ask where I needed to do the delivery. It was a busy road and there wasn’t much space. And it was only when the cars behind me backed up and someone told me I knew about it. I never heard or felt a thing.

I do have liability insurance. And if I need too I can use it. No one was hurt - and that’s the most important thing. It was a stupid mistake I shouldn’t have made. But I did.

There wasn’t a single mark on my vehicle that I or the company could see. But it was a well used 600k miles 59 plate 18T wagon - so it’s got enough war wounds already.

The truth is I have got much much more confident with my driving recently. My reversing is approaching something that could be considered reasonable. However I have a major deadline at uni and havn’t had a lot of sleep for the last couple of weeks. I need to earn some extra cash as I have a holiday booked and class 1 to pay for. But I’ll be up all night now working on the uni stuff. It’s why I have decided to take the rest of the week off - I don’t think I can drive whilst very tired and stressed about other stuff.

Going forward - I’m going to have a MAX of 2 shifts a week. I’ve had both agencies pushing me to work nearly every day. Often telling me no one else can etc. I’ve been promised early finishes with one which never happened. So I want to chill out for a bit and go back to driving when I am able to do it properly.

Have you considered that you’re burning the candle at both ends cos by the sounds of your driving record one day a pedestrian could be your next target ■■?

Personally I think you need to hang the keys up. At least until you can give driving a lorry the respect it needs. Driving a lorry on no/ very little sleep is negligent to say the least. For your sake I really hope you aren’t involved in a more serious accident where there’s injury involved. The powers that be will come down on you heavily and you’ll deserve it.

raymundo:
Have you considered that you’re burning the candle at both ends cos by the sounds of your driving record one day a pedestrian could be your next target ■■?

Yes. Totally.

Which is why I’m not driving at all for at least a week. That will give me until Friday to hit my deadline. And then Saturday/Sunday to just relax and chill. I think it’s what is required.

After that I will only drive on days when it works for me.

I’ve missed a lot of meetings etc because of this driving. And it’s just not worth it. I’m clearly not a natural behind the wheel and I should focus on something else.

I’ll still drive. It’s a nice way to earn some pocket money. And I am excited to do my class 1. But I’m just going to chill a lot more with it. I’ve been doing nearly full time driving hours and trying to do full time uni hours. And it’s not healthy.

sammym:

raymundo:

Yes. Totally.

Which is why I’m not driving at all for at least a week. That will give me until Friday to hit my deadline. And then Saturday/Sunday to just relax and chill. I think it’s what is required.

After that I will only drive on days when it works for me.

I’ve missed a lot of meetings etc because of this driving. And it’s just not worth it. I’m clearly not a natural behind the wheel and I should focus on something else.

I’ll still drive. It’s a nice way to earn some pocket money. And I am excited to do my class 1. But I’m just going to chill a lot more with it. I’ve been doing nearly full time driving hours and trying to do full time uni hours. And it’s not healthy.

Be honest, how are you as a car driver? Be honest to yourself. How did you get along with the hgv training? If alright their might be nothing wrong with your spatial awareness or ability to drive. Full time hours in both driving and uni smacks of a fatigue breeding ground. And fatigue ■■■■■ anyone, no matter how good their abilities are. Maybe try asking for easier class 1 stuff to get your confidence back up. Something like fridge work base to RDC and back. Plenty about and a lot of it never takes you near parked cars :laughing: . Just lay off the driving shifts a bit.

I know it’s tempting to see the lorries as a bit of fun cos you’ve got the uni work. But you really are putting yourself in for high responsibility climbing into an HGV. You’ve got to respect it and how tired you are a lot more. It’s not a car. You have to start showing a bit more respect for the legal rest requirements before piloting one of these things.

You don’t want to smack something or someone up so badly that the ministry start looking into the hours you keep outside of work. Then you really will be in the ■■■■.

Without wanting to sound like a ■■■■■ i’m going to…

1. Class 1? Are you for real? You need to get a serious amount of confidence and some experience before you even attempt it. I’m sure you could pass the test, but (as im sure you’ve noticed) - the real world is nothing like the test. If you’re feeling stressed out now, it’s only going to get worse. As I say, without wanting to sound like a ■■■■ - forget about it, for now.

2. PLI - Public liability insurance does not and will not cover you for an accident in a commercial vehicle. Great, the agency is putting it through insurance, but I would fully expect them to send a bill to the Ltd Co, as someone else alluded to above, either for the excess or the full amount. Also, these accidents should (techically) be declared to your personal insurer.

3. Ditch the ltd co. you’re getting yourself into a whole new world of ■■■■ with that idea. Read up about IR35. Or search the forums here, it’s been discussed enough.

4. As for the sleep, or lack thereof… not only is it extremely selfish, but it’s also extremely dangerous to be driving tired - especially a truck… and even more dangerous for a newbie with low confidence/skill to be doing it. God forbid something actually happened and you seriously injured / killed someone, your posts on here could well be used to show that you were knowingly driving while tired / unfit… again, that’s a whole new world of ■■■■. Deep, deep ■■■■.

5. Never, ever, believe a word any agency parasite tells you. It’s lies. All of it.

Good luck!

sammym:
Rear side bar. I think. The honest truth is that I had no idea I’d hit it. I was pulling to go and ask where I needed to do the delivery. It was a busy road and there wasn’t much space. And it was only when the cars behind me backed up and someone told me I knew about it. I never heard or felt a thing.

I do have liability insurance. And if I need too I can use it. No one was hurt - and that’s the most important thing. It was a stupid mistake I shouldn’t have made. But I did.

There wasn’t a single mark on my vehicle that I or the company could see. But it was a well used 600k miles 59 plate 18T wagon - so it’s got enough war wounds already.

The truth is I have got much much more confident with my driving recently. My reversing is approaching something that could be considered reasonable. However I have a major deadline at uni and havn’t had a lot of sleep for the last couple of weeks. I need to earn some extra cash as I have a holiday booked and class 1 to pay for. But I’ll be up all night now working on the uni stuff. It’s why I have decided to take the rest of the week off - I don’t think I can drive whilst very tired and stressed about other stuff.

Going forward - I’m going to have a MAX of 2 shifts a week. I’ve had both agencies pushing me to work nearly every day. Often telling me no one else can etc. I’ve been promised early finishes with one which never happened. So I want to chill out for a bit and go back to driving when I am able to do it properly.

The bit I’ve put in red tells me a lot Sammy. You are, in my opinion, taking on to much and are showing signs of stress/burnout. You need to get some order to your priorities What is most important Uni, Holiday or class one training? Personally I’d concentrate on your Uni course and exams, take the holiday, it will benefit you, then take some rigid shifts to earn the training funds. Don’t think you have to do it all at once because you will not do it all well. Focus on doing the Uni work well if you intend to use that learning as a basis for your career. Get some time in on the rigids as the money difference is not that great and, being blunt, the bendys bring another set of challenges which you don’t need right now. You’re young enough, and have time enough should you want to, a year or so down the line.

If you don’t know what part of a rigid truck hit the parked car you need to sharpen up your observation, you have mirrors to see down both sides and if going slow enough you might scratch paint but you can stop before you pull bumpers off.

sammym:
The truth is I have got much much more confident with my driving recently. My reversing is approaching something that could be considered reasonable. **However I have a major deadline at uni and havn’t had a lot of sleep for the last couple of weeks. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I need to earn some extra cash as I have a holiday booked and class 1 to pay for. But I’ll be up all night now working on the uni stuff. It’s why I have decided to take the rest of the week off - I don’t think I can drive whilst very tired and stressed about other stuff.

** This is not good at all, I understand that you need cash to live, even if it is for your holiday, but as already said it might not be a vehicle you hit next time!!!

Freight Dog:
Be honest, how are you as a car driver? Be honest to yourself. How did you get along with the hgv training? If alright their might be nothing wrong with your spatial awareness or ability to drive. Full time hours in both driving and uni smacks of a fatigue breeding ground. And fatigue [zb] anyone, no matter how good their abilities are. Maybe try asking for easier class 1 stuff to get your confidence back up. Something like fridge work base to RDC and back. Plenty about and a lot of it never takes you near parked cars :laughing: . Just lay off the driving shifts a bit.

I know it’s tempting to see the lorries as a bit of fun cos you’ve got the uni work. But you really are putting yourself in for high responsibility climbing into an HGV. You’ve got to respect it and how tired you are a bit more. It’s not a car.

You don’t want to smack something or someone up so badly that the ministry start looking into the hours you keep outside of work. Then you really will be in the [zb].

In a car I’m okay. My training was okay. I passed third time due to my nerves. One of the times I got zero minors apart from the serious for stopping at a green traffic light. I used to drive about 30k miles a year and have 7 years no claims discount. So I’m not shocking in a car.

I’m in no rush to jump into class 1 work. I have paid the deposit so will do the training and get the licence (I hope). But financially it’s not that big a jump from class 2. Although just going to RDC’s rather than doing multiple drops at the most ridiculous places sounds nice.

I actually asked the DVSA about my uni stuff. Even though I’m paid a stipend it’s not counted as work. This is ridiculous but it’s their rules. I don’t want to have to live with harming someone or myself though. I’m going to take a step back and chill for a while.

sammym:
I actually asked the DVSA about my uni stuff. Even though I’m paid a stipend it’s not counted as work. This is ridiculous but it’s their rules. I don’t want to have to live with harming someone or myself though. I’m going to take a step back and chill for a while.

That’s the best advise you’ve received, given by yourself. Take it steady before you really do some harm

sammym:

Freight Dog:
Be honest, how are you as a car driver? Be honest to yourself. How did you get along with the hgv training? If alright their might be nothing wrong with your spatial awareness or ability to drive. Full time hours in both driving and uni smacks of a fatigue breeding ground. And fatigue [zb] anyone, no matter how good their abilities are. Maybe try asking for easier class 1 stuff to get your confidence back up. Something like fridge work base to RDC and back. Plenty about and a lot of it never takes you near parked cars :laughing: . Just lay off the driving shifts a bit.

I know it’s tempting to see the lorries as a bit of fun cos you’ve got the uni work. But you really are putting yourself in for high responsibility climbing into an HGV. You’ve got to respect it and how tired you are a bit more. It’s not a car.

You don’t want to smack something or someone up so badly that the ministry start looking into the hours you keep outside of work. Then you really will be in the [zb].

In a car I’m okay. My training was okay. I passed third time due to my nerves. One of the times I got zero minors apart from the serious for stopping at a green traffic light. I used to drive about 30k miles a year and have 7 years no claims discount. So I’m not shocking in a car.

I’m in no rush to jump into class 1 work. I have paid the deposit so will do the training and get the licence (I hope). But financially it’s not that big a jump from class 2. Although just going to RDC’s rather than doing multiple drops at the most ridiculous places sounds nice.

They say that now. But believe me if you run an HGV off the motorway or into someone, that easy going response will be noticeable by its absence. They will use your uni commitments against you. Easiest way is don’t go driving unless you’ve satisfied the rest requirements. Just treat uni as if it were a day job. Even for yourself. I mean, the tacho regs are barmy enough allowing 15 hour days and 9 hours off and that’s without infringing them voluntarily

Class 1 trunk work is far easier work than class 2 I personally think. Just lay off it a bit for a while as you say.

That damage doesn’t look very fresh,the rusts coming through already.