Advice Needed

I had the misfortune of having a minor collision whilst manouvering out of a tight parking bay with other trailers parked in front. On the swing my trailers tail end clipped the front of another parked vehicle causing both damage to his unit and my trailer.
In a lengthy driving career this is the first time that I have ever had an accident or caused any damage to a vehicle.
Due to the angle of the vehicle I didn’t actually realise that I’d had a scape until the company I was driving for telephoned me asking me what had I done and why I had just driven away from an accident.
Now don’t get me wrong the evidence is there & I’m happy to put my hands up and take responsibility for what happened, after all it was my fault and that’s not in dispute.
The problem is the attitude of the company transport manager that is really getting up my snout. When I arrived back in the yard he came out ranting and raving. I tried explaining what had happened but he wasn’t having any of it, he just kept shouting, swearing & throwing insults. I was bloody jumping, I’d never speak to anybody like that and I don’t expect anybody to talk to me like that either. I walked away because it was either doing just that or knocking his block off which would have been pretty easy, I could feel myself rapidly losing my cool.
Anyhow the transport manager is now refusing to pay me for a couple of weeks work. He’s claiming that I should either pay for the damage personally or otherwise they will be making a claim against my public liability insurance. I’ve tried to explain that there company’s vehicle insurance is there to cover such circumstances, but they are having none of it.
The bottom line is I’m having a lot aggravation, sleepless nights & seems that I may not be paid for the lengthy hours that I have worked for them.
I have spoken to the company’s finance department about the situation but they just keep referring me back to the transport manager who continues to be verbally abusive.
I’m now not sure where to take it, I’d like some other points of view really?

Hi mate sorry to hear about this. Did you have terms of business in place with said company? Ie somebody has signed it and it explains that you are covered on there insurance?

Articload:
I had the misfortune of having a minor collision whilst manouvering out of a tight parking bay with other trailers parked in front. On the swing my trailers tail end clipped the front of another parked vehicle causing both damage to his unit and my trailer.
In a lengthy driving career this is the first time that I have ever had an accident or caused any damage to a vehicle.
Due to the angle of the vehicle I didn’t actually realise that I’d had a scape until the company I was driving for telephoned me asking me what had I done and why I had just driven away from an accident.
Now don’t get me wrong the evidence is there & I’m happy to put my hands up and take responsibility for what happened, after all it was my fault and that’s not in dispute.
The problem is the attitude of the company transport manager that is really getting up my snout. When I arrived back in the yard he came out ranting and raving. I tried explaining what had happened but he wasn’t having any of it, he just kept shouting, swearing & throwing insults. I was bloody jumping, I’d never speak to anybody like that and I don’t expect anybody to talk to me like that either. I walked away because it was either doing just that or knocking his block off which would have been pretty easy, I could feel myself rapidly losing my cool.
Anyhow the transport manager is now refusing to pay me for a couple of weeks work. He’s claiming that I should either pay for the damage personally or otherwise they will be making a claim against my public liability insurance. I’ve tried to explain that there company’s vehicle insurance is there to cover such circumstances, but they are having none of it.
The bottom line is I’m having a lot aggravation, sleepless nights & seems that I may not be paid for the lengthy hours that I have worked for them.
I have spoken to the company’s finance department about the situation but they just keep referring me back to the transport manager who continues to be verbally abusive.
I’m now not sure where to take it, I’d like some other points of view really?

This is correct, sounds like he personally dislikes you to me. Must be some way of going above him.

You’re better off getting proper professional advice from the C.A.B or some solicitors give an hour free etc

Is this another transport operator who uses a very large excess to keep rolling? Insurance should cover this as an accident! As for your wages! Small claims court will sort that out! HTH :wink:

Send invoice for money owed.
Give 14 days to pay all monies owed, inform them you will be taking them to court if they don’t pay and that in the event of them losing (which they will) they will be liable for costs too.
Start small claims procedure if they don’t pay.

Keep copies of all letters/conversations and send any mail recorded.

Their claim against you is entirely separate and tell them to lodge a claim with your insurance (I’m sure they’ll get far).