Coronavirus & its consequences

gingerfold:

DEANB:
Now that France have shut there Border’s and Spain seems to be in lock down it wont take long i imagine for the
fruit and veg to run out as i hate to think how many fridge motors run out of Spain daily heading for the UK.

Brittany ferries have cancelled all of there sailing’s until the 11,12,13th of April. The financial implication’s must be
mind boggling for some of these companies.

Buzzer and Graham will no doubt be able to give us more info about how much stuff these RDC’s have in storage ?

Home grown fresh “common” veg is packed this morning for delivery to RDC today for distribution to supermarkets for sale tomorrow. By “common” veg I mean potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauli’s etc. The more exotic stuff is imported. There won’t be any lettuce coming in as all that comes from Spain until the home grown lettuce starts in May. Citrus fruit supplies will dry up. Personally I only buy British grown apples, more tasty than imported apples. In normal times RDCs do not hold stocks of fresh fruit and veg. One of my drivers didn’t get tipped with a load of veg at a main RDC on Tuesday night because all floor space was full, so they sent him away until Wednesday morning. We hauliers are getting the goods to the RDCs, but the bottleneck is the RDCs themselves. and that is partly the reason why supermarket shelves are empty.

This is where the RDC managers should be contacting local hauliers to see if they have spare units and drivers to move the loads for the bigger stores thus freeing up their own drivers to do smaller ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How far reaching no one knows …… but Seems like the VOSA MOT testers may be at home for some time, waiting for an update on MOT and ADR tests, and also wondering when truck parts supply from Europe will become an issue, word is Scania and MAN may be struggling already

Sniffy:
How far reaching no one knows …… but Seems like the VOSA MOT testers may be at home for some time, waiting for an update on MOT and ADR tests, and also wondering when truck parts supply from Europe will become an issue, word is Scania and MAN may be struggling already

Better hope non of our 20ish MAN’s breakdown then
That includes my steed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The definition of essential workers in relation to this is going to be very long indeed. Baked beans don’t arrive at the supermarket in a tipper. One of my customers is a food packaging supplier. The supermarkets not only need the produce to come in via the likes Turners or Fowlers, but it has to be in its normal packaging, which could be a variety of materials. A company somewhere has to make whatever it is contained in, someone has to tell the production line staff what product to make, someone has to get the line going when it stops and a similar situation prevails all the way through the chain from raw materials to foundry to supermarket to end user. And the rubbish/recycling has to be dealt with and spares for machinery available at the point of need.

That’s just the part of the food chain once it’s left the farm. We need a lot more than just food.

DEANB:
Brittany ferries have cancelled all of there sailing’s until the 11,12,13th of April.

Not 100% sure, but I think they’re running freight…

Thanks for your reply Graham re the RDC’s.

Fergie, This was the message on Brittany Ferries site when i looked this morning so i dont know,maybe something changed ! :unamused: :wink:

With regard to the over 70 thing and as yet no lockdown we ventured out yesterday 7.30am for a bit of food shopping and a check on the lay of land as they say. Our nearest town Dingwall has a Tesco and a Lidl, a lot of bare shelves at both stores and plenty people about including a lot of elderly. Fresh milk racks depleted, no Long Life milk, no pasta of any sort, last few toilet rolls at Lidl with none in Tesco, shortage of veg in Tesco but ok at Lidl, shortage of breakfast cereals at both.
Frozen food cabinets fairly well stocked so I thought hey I’ll buy another small freezer and stock up, Currys and Argos Inverness no stock and min 4 weeks delivery if ordered on line. We will have another go tomorrow at Dingwall, also signed up for Tesco Home Delivery, there is now a one week backlog delay on that.
Handy link here gov.uk/government/publicati … ble-adults
Cheers
Oily

We are moving back to the UK from the Isle of Man on the 26th. Our removal company cannot send the wagon over with a Manx driver because when he returns from the UK he would have to self isolate for 14 days. The wagon will go on ferry unaccompanied and a UK driver will collect it from Heysham and deliver.

Oily as regards Tesco they are crap at keeping things stocked as I think they have not got enough transport to cope with demand, at Chrismas when they know demand is high they rent fridges months in advance so as to keep the flow going, they are now apparently not going to stock any fresh meat and the deli counters are shut. The other thing I abhor is the abuse to the staff as they are on the front line trying to assist and even when customers are told products are limited to say two of everything they choose to ignore this and then let go at staff, today I ventured out to my local fruit & veg shop and found plenty on offer including milk and the boss told me he had a lot of customers who would normally use a supermarket but will they come back to him when and if we get back to normal, we shall have to wait and see, Buzzer

Another load to help the crisis :smiley:

Chris Webb:
We are moving back to the UK from the Isle of Man on the 26th. Our removal company cannot send the wagon over with a Manx driver because when he returns from the UK he would have to self isolate for 14 days. The wagon will go on ferry unaccompanied and a UK driver will collect it from Heysham and deliver.

Are you coming back to your roots Chris ? :laughing:

Buzzer:
Today I ventured out to Mackro but that was a failure as lots of racks empty, no fish or veg and eggs and very little meat so on to the butchers, never seen him so busy and he said he has taken two weeks money in two days but is having difficulty getting stocks replenished.
Email to the office today from Turners where we load fresh goods for RDC’s and now the drivers are banned from using the loo’s because of Coronavirus so we pee on the wheels now out in the yard, that will be very sanitary wont it just hope they don’t need a number two :smiley: :smiley:
The Boss went to Tesco and same story there but now they are limiting how many items of the same product you can buy but this should have been done alot sooner, they are introducing an OAP hour so i said to her you could go then but got a clip round the ear for reminding her cheers Buzzer.

I understand that pee is sanitary.My late wife was a midwife and she told me this and very good for pot plants too so pee on your compost heap,you’ll get big taters.There is no doubt that some Haulage lads are pleased for the work and those ■■■■■■ who clear the shelves don’t realise what’s involved.I saw a lady who went to the supermarket for some nappies for her new born and none there No good blaiming Boris.It’s logistics and at these times that’s left to the lorry’s and not the bloody rail.I don’t suppose that customers would give a ■■■■ that a bit of blue smoke off an old Foden that delivered their needs.Eat your heart out Ms Lucas !

rastone:

Buzzer:
Today I ventured out to Mackro but that was a failure as lots of racks empty, no fish or veg and eggs and very little meat so on to the butchers, never seen him so busy and he said he has taken two weeks money in two days but is having difficulty getting stocks replenished.
Email to the office today from Turners where we load fresh goods for RDC’s and now the drivers are banned from using the loo’s because of Coronavirus so we pee on the wheels now out in the yard, that will be very sanitary wont it just hope they don’t need a number two :smiley: :smiley:
The Boss went to Tesco and same story there but now they are limiting how many items of the same product you can buy but this should have been done alot sooner, they are introducing an OAP hour so i said to her you could go then but got a clip round the ear for reminding her cheers Buzzer.

I understand that pee is sanitary.My late wife was a midwife and she told me this and very good for pot plants too so pee on your compost heap,you’ll get big taters.There is no doubt that some Haulage lads are pleased for the work and those [zb] who clear the shelves don’t realise what’s involved.I saw a lady who went to the supermarket for some nappies for her new born and none there No good blaiming Boris.It’s logistics and at these times that’s left to the lorry’s and not the bloody rail.I don’t suppose that customers would give a [zb] that a bit of blue smoke off an old Foden that delivered their needs.Eat your heart out Ms Lucas !

We pee in a bucket in the garage and tip it in the boundary gaps to keep Foxy Loxy away from the hens :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

rastone:

Buzzer:

I understand that pee is sanitary.My late wife was a midwife and she told me this and very good for pot plants too so pee on your compost heap,you’ll get big taters.There is no doubt that some Haulage lads are pleased for the work and those [zb] who clear the shelves don’t realise what’s involved.I saw a lady who went to the supermarket for some nappies for her new born and none there No good blaiming Boris.It’s logistics and at these times that’s left to the lorry’s and not the bloody rail.I don’t suppose that customers would give a [zb] that a bit of blue smoke off an old Foden that delivered their needs.Eat your heart out Ms Lucas !

We pee in a bucket in the garage and tip it in the boundary gaps to keep Foxy Loxy away from the hens :open_mouth:

That must be some very potent ■■■■ Danno :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Buzzer

Punchy Dan:

Chris Webb:

:smiley:
We are moving to Thirsk Dan.Couldn’t find owt in Peak District except flats which we didn’t want.So North Yorks it is pal. :smiley:

It’s supposed to work :unamused:

Chris Webb:

Punchy Dan:

Chris Webb:

We are moving to Thirsk Dan.Couldn’t find owt in Peak District except flats which we didn’t want.So North Yorks it is pal. :smiley:

Best of luck ,sorry that sounds bad :stuck_out_tongue: ,good look :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Chris Webb:

Punchy Dan:

Chris Webb:

Best of luck ,sorry that sounds bad :stuck_out_tongue: ,good look :smiley:

Thanks. :smiley:

To help in social distancing I am going to the pub earlier with similar elderly and at-risk customers

Walking home through Penzance yesterday afternoon I was uplifted by one of our Local Musicians entertaining the few people still around - Made me Proud to be in Cornwall

Hi all,we are struggling at Clarke transport we got 8 drivers off in Bridgend depot as well as the others we got freight backing up in our warehouse I was night out in Falmouth Wednesday,drove back empty Thursday got back to yard run back out on locals due to driver drivers off ,all coke cola are closing their rdc down for the time being ,we do work for them ,sika welwyn garden city cutting back along with most of our suppliers,if this country goes on lockdown the haulage industry will suffer big time ,hi dan is that artic your new toy mate ,seen seths ridgid on the a30 yesterday past Exeter